• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Female Doctor Who?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A friend of mine posted a status recently saying she believes Helen Mirren should be the next Doctor. It’s overshooting, granted, but I loved the idea. Then I found this ed, in which the writer suggests the next Doctor should be a woman.

1) What do you think about a female Doctor?

2) Who would you love to see as the next Doctor (regardless of gender)?

My own choices for female:

Catherine Keener
Tilda Swinton?
Maybe Ruth Wilson?
And I want to say Gillian Anderson, but I think that might be because I could watch her do anything (not sure she'd be a good Doctor).

(I know these are over-shooting, but I'm just going for 'wouldn't it be cool'.)

I kinda like the article’s mention of Jennifer Saunders, too. Though I have mixed feelings about Emma Watson (she’s got a little too much of some characteristic that I think the current Doctor Who episodes are sorta drowning in, though I don’t know how to describe it.)

The only males that come to mind immediately are either Tom Waits (maybe in a one time only special) or Roberto Benigni (if his English were better).

I’d love to see someone who seems genuinely quirky again, like Tom Baker. Though I like Smith- imo, both him and Tennant had more of a contrived quirkiness. Eccleston wasn’t especially quirky, but he didn’t even try to be. (When I think of ‘naturally quirky’ I think of like, Mos Def or Peter Falk. Or Martin Freeman.)

roman67

Everyone have its own choice to declare his or her favorite female doctor as you share your own choices.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Only glanced at the link for now, but have been familiar with the argument for a female Doctor for YEARS. I'm also wondering if TPTB will stick to the mythos of 13 regenerations, with the last being The Valeyard, leaving this to be the last chance to have a female Doctor?

I wouldn't mind Alex Kingston, even though some fans are tired of River Song. But that probably wouldn't fit in the mythos, either.
I do like your friend's suggestion of Helen Mirren.
Dawn French
Marianne Jean-Baptiste
Rebel Wilson (Quirky? I think she could rival Tom Baker for the title.)
Octavia Spencer
Celia Imrie

ETA: Finished article: OMG! Tim Minchin! I would watch that.

ETA2: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Rebel Wilson as the Doctor!

And knowing how much he loves Doctor Who, I'll nominate Craig Ferguson in the male category. Although he might end up being quirky and a bit creepy.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8244]Eilonwy[/MENTION]- I hadn't actually heard the argument before (that there should be a female Doctor Who), but I guess it'd be more surprising if it hadn't already been going on. I can remember at least one other female Time Lord (Leela?)- and I seem to remember her being about as clever as the Doctor, not in any subjugated position (except maybe in rank- but not in intelligence or otherwise)- so it never especially bothered me that the Doctor has never been female. :shrug:

Yeah, Tim Minchin would be pretty cool.

I had to look up everyone else on your list, I can't remember seeing any of them in anything. :laugh: I've seen a lot of the things on Octavia Spencer's list, but can't remember her. And I remember that Dawn French worked with Saunders but I don't think I've ever seen any of their shows.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION], don't feel bad, I had to look up some of your nominees, too!

I remember talk about a female Doctor while I was in a Doctor Who fan club, so at least as far back as the late 1980s. There were actually two Time Ladies in Classic Who who had feature parts: Romana and The Rani. Romana traveled with Tom Baker's Doctor and was played by two different actresses. The second actress to play her was Lalla Ward, who was also married to Tom Baker irl at one time. The Rani was a renegade Time Lady, much like the Master. Both of them were portrayed as being as intelligent as the Doctor. Hmmm. Guess I'm still a bit of a Doctor Who geek!

I haven't seen Rebel Wilson's movies, but I've seen the promos for them and I've seen her on talk shows and she is hilarious and full of energy. She has that cheekiness and confidence that Tom Baker had.

You should check out Dawn French in "The Vicar of Dibley" (TV series) if you can. I used to watch "French and Saunders", but don't remember much of it, though I liked it well enough to check out other things they both did.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol. I must have been thinking of the actress's name. Now I'm going to have to look up Rani episodes.

Also, seriously? No one else has female actress suggestions for Doctor Who? (Or an opinion about whether the next Doctor should be female?)

R

Riva

A female doctor who would be perfect. I used to be against it but had a change of heart. The reason for this is because the pace is too hard in the recent serieses and I believe (and hope) that a female would slow things down. Yes yes the beauty of doctor who is the thrill of it but they are making it happen these days by having the doc run fast, talk fast and using his sonic screw driver the same way hermione granger uses her magic wand. He can almost do anything with it, it's actually not sci-fi anymore. So yeah having a female (a real feminine one and NOT A COOL AND SEXY MYSTIQUE ONE) would add to the show by taking pace off the show, building character and adding to the story than to the doctor's lines.

R

Riva

A female doctor who would be perfect. I used to be against it but had a change of heart. The reason for this is because the pace is too hard in the recent serieses and I believe (and hope) that a female would slow things down. Yes yes the beauty of doctor who is the thrill of it but they are making it happen these days by having the doc run fast, talk fast and using his sonic screw driver the same way hermione granger uses her magic wand. He can almost do anything with it, it's actually not sci-fi anymore. So yeah having a female (a real feminine one and NOT A COOL AND SEXY MYSTIQUE ONE) would add to the show by taking pace off the show, building character and adding to the story than to the doctor's lines.

R

Riva

^ a afro-female doctor would be perfect me thinks. An infp or isfj version. *excited*

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I forgot about Dame Judy Dench. Just saw her name in an article about Helen Mirren. So many good actresses to choose from!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't watch Doctor Who, I just know the basic premise and have Whovians as friends.

Not sure why there hasn't been a female doctor yet. And they're all white guys too, aren't they? Yeeesh.

I don't really have names to offer, but I love Helen Mirren to death. I wish she was my mom. (Uh, sorry mom -- but we're discussing Helen Mirren!) Not sure about her being the Doctor, but she's an asset to whatever she's in. it would be great to see her even in a supporting role.

S

Society

i love the concept... but... one has to stand for tradition...

so how about Polly Walker? seriously, i know she's not a ball full of dazzling eccentric, but i think she could sort of of do to doctor who what William Hartnell brought to the character as the first doctor.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I kinda like the article’s mention of Jennifer Saunders, too. Though I have mixed feelings about Emma Watson (she’s got a little too much of some characteristic that I think the current Doctor Who episodes are sorta drowning in, though I don’t know how to describe it.)

So yeah having a female (a real feminine one and NOT A COOL AND SEXY MYSTIQUE ONE) would add to the show by taking pace off the show, building character and adding to the story than to the doctor's lines.
If you're looking for someone who is feminine, quirky, operating at a more leisurely pace, and you like the Harry Potter cast, how about Evanna Lynch?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She's 'good' though a bit too young I believe.
Yes, she is young, but just a year younger than Emma Watson. Just depends on what flavor one wants in the new doctor.

R

Riva

Yes, she is young, but just a year younger than Emma Watson. Just depends on what flavor one wants in the new doctor.
Emma watson is too young too but she could appear mature if she wants to and has a sort of a charismatic personality. Add to it she looks beautifully-sexy. Wait I think i have a crush on her ;). However I don't know whether she would take pace off the show as I desire. In that sense whom you suggested would be better. Anyway I would still prefer someone who is in her late 20s or early 30s or even someone who is above 40s (preferably beautiful and nothing like that sung woman).

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Emma watson is too young too but she could appear mature if she wants to and has a sort of a charismatic personality. Add to it she looks beautifully-sexy. Wait I think i have a crush on her ;). However I don't know whether she would take pace off the show as I desire. In that sense whom you suggested would be better. Anyway I would still prefer someone who is in her late 20s or early 30s or even someone who is above 40s (preferably beautiful and nothing like that sung woman).
Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I would want a doctor who was a real beauty, though. I think that would be too distracting, or too much a change from what the doctor has historically been about throughout his (and maybe her?) lifetimes.

R

Riva

Any suggestions?I'm not sure I would want a doctor who was a real beauty, though. I think that would be too distracting, or too much a change from what the doctor has historically been about throughout his (and maybe her?) lifetimes.
Yes true. The actress you suggested is really pretty too. A bit too cute/adorable, which is why I was thinking she was too young. So far though non of the actors were George Clooneys they were sexy in their own ways especially the last three. However they were never a distraction. Yes yes I do see how using someone as sexy as kim kardashian could be a distraction but if projected in a way that doesn't emphasize too much on her sexiness even she could be a good choice. Could you imagine someone as sexy as her being cast in a traditionally feminine isfj way (a female version of dr.watson in the series sherlock) or in an sexy yet a bit clumsy/awkward infp way? I sincerely think it would work. So sexy is not an issue. Infact it would be great. The males would want/die to be the companion in their imagination.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
jill-hennessy-159514l.jpg

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
i was actually looking at Tilda Swinton the other day. that movie Constantine where she played gabriel. she does creepy well.