User Tag List

123 Last

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Female Doctor Who?

A friend of mine posted a status recently saying she believes Helen Mirren should be the next Doctor. It’s overshooting, granted, but I loved the idea. Then I found this ed, in which the writer suggests the next Doctor should be a woman.

1) What do you think about a female Doctor?

2) Who would you love to see as the next Doctor (regardless of gender)?

My own choices for female:

Catherine Keener
    Tilda Swinton?
    Maybe Ruth Wilson?
    And I want to say Gillian Anderson, but I think that might be because I could watch her do anything (not sure she'd be a good Doctor).

(I know these are over-shooting, but I'm just going for 'wouldn't it be cool'.)

I kinda like the article’s mention of Jennifer Saunders, too. Though I have mixed feelings about Emma Watson (she’s got a little too much of some characteristic that I think the current Doctor Who episodes are sorta drowning in, though I don’t know how to describe it.)

The only males that come to mind immediately are either Tom Waits (maybe in a one time only special) or Roberto Benigni (if his English were better).

I’d love to see someone who seems genuinely quirky again, like Tom Baker. Though I like Smith- imo, both him and Tennant had more of a contrived quirkiness. Eccleston wasn’t especially quirky, but he didn’t even try to be. (When I think of ‘naturally quirky’ I think of like, Mos Def or Peter Falk. Or Martin Freeman.)
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Everyone have its own choice to declare his or her favorite female doctor as you share your own choices.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Only glanced at the link for now, but have been familiar with the argument for a female Doctor for YEARS. I'm also wondering if TPTB will stick to the mythos of 13 regenerations, with the last being The Valeyard, leaving this to be the last chance to have a female Doctor?

I wouldn't mind Alex Kingston, even though some fans are tired of River Song. But that probably wouldn't fit in the mythos, either.
    I do like your friend's suggestion of Helen Mirren.
    Dawn French
    Marianne Jean-Baptiste
    Rebel Wilson (Quirky? I think she could rival Tom Baker for the title.)
    Octavia Spencer
    Celia Imrie

ETA: Finished article: OMG! Tim Minchin! I would watch that.

ETA2: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Rebel Wilson as the Doctor!

And knowing how much he loves Doctor Who, I'll nominate Craig Ferguson in the male category. Although he might end up being quirky and a bit creepy.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

@Eilonwy- I hadn't actually heard the argument before (that there should be a female Doctor Who), but I guess it'd be more surprising if it hadn't already been going on. I can remember at least one other female Time Lord (Leela?)- and I seem to remember her being about as clever as the Doctor, not in any subjugated position (except maybe in rank- but not in intelligence or otherwise)- so it never especially bothered me that the Doctor has never been female.

Yeah, Tim Minchin would be pretty cool.

I had to look up everyone else on your list, I can't remember seeing any of them in anything. I've seen a lot of the things on Octavia Spencer's list, but can't remember her. And I remember that Dawn French worked with Saunders but I don't think I've ever seen any of their shows.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

@Z Buck McFate, don't feel bad, I had to look up some of your nominees, too!

I remember talk about a female Doctor while I was in a Doctor Who fan club, so at least as far back as the late 1980s. There were actually two Time Ladies in Classic Who who had feature parts: Romana and The Rani. Romana traveled with Tom Baker's Doctor and was played by two different actresses. The second actress to play her was Lalla Ward, who was also married to Tom Baker irl at one time. The Rani was a renegade Time Lady, much like the Master. Both of them were portrayed as being as intelligent as the Doctor. Hmmm. Guess I'm still a bit of a Doctor Who geek!

I haven't seen Rebel Wilson's movies, but I've seen the promos for them and I've seen her on talk shows and she is hilarious and full of energy. She has that cheekiness and confidence that Tom Baker had.

You should check out Dawn French in "The Vicar of Dibley" (TV series) if you can. I used to watch "French and Saunders", but don't remember much of it, though I liked it well enough to check out other things they both did.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Lol. I must have been thinking of the actress's name. Now I'm going to have to look up Rani episodes.

Also, seriously? No one else has female actress suggestions for Doctor Who? (Or an opinion about whether the next Doctor should be female?)

Riva

A female doctor who would be perfect. I used to be against it but had a change of heart. The reason for this is because the pace is too hard in the recent serieses and I believe (and hope) that a female would slow things down. Yes yes the beauty of doctor who is the thrill of it but they are making it happen these days by having the doc run fast, talk fast and using his sonic screw driver the same way hermione granger uses her magic wand. He can almost do anything with it, it's actually not sci-fi anymore. So yeah having a female (a real feminine one and NOT A COOL AND SEXY MYSTIQUE ONE) would add to the show by taking pace off the show, building character and adding to the story than to the doctor's lines.

Riva

A female doctor who would be perfect. I used to be against it but had a change of heart. The reason for this is because the pace is too hard in the recent serieses and I believe (and hope) that a female would slow things down. Yes yes the beauty of doctor who is the thrill of it but they are making it happen these days by having the doc run fast, talk fast and using his sonic screw driver the same way hermione granger uses her magic wand. He can almost do anything with it, it's actually not sci-fi anymore. So yeah having a female (a real feminine one and NOT A COOL AND SEXY MYSTIQUE ONE) would add to the show by taking pace off the show, building character and adding to the story than to the doctor's lines.

Riva

^ a afro-female doctor would be perfect me thinks. An infp or isfj version. *excited*

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

I forgot about Dame Judy Dench. Just saw her name in an article about Helen Mirren. So many good actresses to choose from!
    Johari / Nohari