User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Yes, she is young, but just a year younger than Emma Watson. Just depends on what flavor one wants in the new doctor.

good question, the flavor... this is way more important than the doctor's gender.

the thing with matt smith is that he appears so young (in demeanor as well as aesthetically), that it sometimes had the feel of the adventures of Huckleberry Finn IN SPACE. sure, in the cannon it doesn't matter, but we the viewers are still human with our own human prejudices. for that, regardless of female or male, i would much rather have an older looking doctor.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    i love the concept... but... one has to stand for tradition...
    No one doesn't.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    No one doesn't.
    pfft, it was a sarcastic throwback before the candy, finish reading that post.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

good question, the flavor... this is way more important than the doctor's gender.

the thing with matt smith is that he appears so young (in demeanor as well as aesthetically), that it sometimes had the feel of the adventures of Huckleberry Finn IN SPACE. sure, in the cannon it doesn't matter, but we the viewers are still human with our own human prejudices. for that, regardless of female or male, i would much rather have an older looking doctor.

Hmmm. I think you've got something there. Matt Smith says he was going for a Patrick Troughton-like character for the Doctor, which maybe didn't work in his favor considering it made him seem even younger, while Peter Davison's Doctor was more serious, which helped to offset his youth.

Changing back to the OP....

What about Georgia Moffett? Nepotism could have some benefits here! That would certainly add to the flavor, but in a different way.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    A female doctor who would be perfect. I used to be against it but had a change of heart. The reason for this is because the pace is too hard in the recent serieses and I believe (and hope) that a female would slow things down. Yes yes the beauty of doctor who is the thrill of it but they are making it happen these days by having the doc run fast, talk fast and using his sonic screw driver the same way hermione granger uses her magic wand. He can almost do anything with it, it's actually not sci-fi anymore. So yeah having a female (a real feminine one and NOT A COOL AND SEXY MYSTIQUE ONE) would add to the show by taking pace off the show, building character and adding to the story than to the doctor's lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    ^ a afro-female doctor would be perfect me thinks. An infp or isfj version. *excited*
    I’ve given it some thought Riva, and I’m having a hard time with an ISFJ Doctor. That’s kinda the whole appeal to the show, for me. Though I do very much agree with what you said about the show becoming a little too action-y, which is precisely why I think picking someone young like Emma Watson would be a mistake- it’d just bring in more of what there’s already too much of (pretty, young people running around being all action-y). I think it’d be a good idea to tone down the high energy and bring in someone a bit more focused (and older)- but still someone who is more mad scientist than people oriented.

Someone else who has come to mind is Alison Janney.

And maybe the companion could be an ISFJ guy. And instead of someone who agrees to come along because they want the adventure, someone who kinda gets roped into it- in an Arthur Dent kind of way- so we could watch him experience having his comfort boundaries pushed (and experience the rush that comes with that). That might be kinda neat.

I'm sorta hooked on the ExxP ish, mad scientist like Doctor though. Even a curmudgeonly one (like Troughton). It's an important staple for the show, imo.

eta: I seem to remember there being a companion who was sorta bamboozled into going once. I think she was in the car with her aunt, the Master turned her aunt into a puppet (?) and so she had to escape into the Tardis with the Doctor? I could be wrong- but I think it's happened before, where someone had to go with him without making the choice to go.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    What about Georgia Moffett? Nepotism could have some benefits here! That would certainly add to the flavor, but in a different way.
    ...she's the only other person with time lord blood in existence atm... it would be a waste to recast her.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I'm sorta hooked on the ExxP ish, mad scientist like Doctor though. Even a curmudgeonly one (like Troughton). It's an important staple for the show, imo.

eta: I seem to remember there being a companion who was sorta bamboozled into going once. I think she was in the car with her aunt, the Master turned her aunt into a puppet (?) and so she had to escape into the Tardis with the Doctor? I could be wrong- but I think it's happened before, where someone had to go with him without making the choice to go.
    Tegan, the flight attendant, if I recall correctly.

I like your idea of a male sidekick getting roped into it and dealing with what comes up. I haven't kept up with the recent doctors enough to know what would be a contrast vs. something similar. For me, the definitive doctor will always be Tom Baker, and the best sidekick Romana.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I like your idea of a male sidekick getting roped into it and dealing with what comes up.
    blah, too much shipping - i expect it to get worst with a female lead and a male sidekick.

i would much rather the new female doctor adopts a fuller side-gang, like when she had Ian and Barbara and Suzi in the same time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

blah, too much shipping - i expect it to get worst with a female lead and a male sidekick.
    Your statement made this thought jump into my head...

Since Russell Davies pushed the boundaries with Captain Jack, why not a female doctor with a female companion?
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Your statement made this thought jump into my head...

Since Russell Davies pushed the boundaries with Captain Jack, why not a female doctor with a female companion?
    hey, there's always a chance of more meeting with the doctor's wife... but i somehow doubt they would go for an all-female perma-cast (or all male cast for that matter). between the lesbian victorian couple and the TARDIS being sort of female and the doctor being a woman and the little hammerhead being unisex..