User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Movie is Worst?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • After Earth

1 4.00%
  • The Last Airbender

16 64.00%
  • The Happening

6 24.00%
  • Lady in the Water

2 8.00%
  • The Village

2 8.00%
  • Signs

2 8.00%
  • Unbreakable

0 0%
  • The Sixth Sense

1 4.00%
  • Wide Awake

0 0%
  • Praying with Anger

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Lol. I wish MNS had stuck with alien reflections in "Signs." It would have been better for the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post

I would have loved Signs if it weren't for how freaking dumb the aliens looked. Few movies/shows that show their usually-obscured Big Bad pull it off well. (Cloverfield and LOST come to mind as exceptions -- but the risk generally isn't worth it.)
    I didn't mind how the aliens looked, but for CG aliens, they should've done more with them, like have them do some neat alien-like stuff besides barely noticeable camouflage. It would've been a more satisfying pay-off for the suspenseful build-up the movie had going for it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post

I would have loved Signs if it weren't for how freaking dumb the aliens looked. Few movies/shows that show their usually-obscured Big Bad pull it off well. (Cloverfield and LOST come to mind as exceptions -- but the risk generally isn't worth it.)
    Alien got away with it first, years ago, when they realized the alien was much scarier shown only in pieces. Cloverfield also typically obscures its alien in darkness and dust until the endgame, I'm still not quite sure what it looks like altogether... but even when it shows the alien, the alien is still typically in motion and shot in a larger-than-life way (the only clear shot is looking up right so that it towers over the camera). The Signs alien is shot face-on at the end for a prolonged time not doing anything active... after so much of the movie beautifully handling it with small glimpses at most. Alas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    I didn't mind how the aliens looked, but for CG aliens, they should've done more with them, like have them do some neat alien-like stuff besides barely noticeable camouflage. It would've been a more satisfying pay-off for the suspenseful build-up the movie had going for it.
    Yeah. I think the capital was squandered too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I generally think creatures in movies like this are best shown fleetingly until the very end. Unlike The U, I think seeing glimpses, reflections, and stuff in the deep BG are way scarier than seeing something full on. I remember a shot I LOVED from the "updated" The Exorcist where you just saw a fleeting glimpse of a demon's head on the range hood. It couldn't have lasted more than a few frames and it was terrifying.

Unfortunately, too many directors adopt this style only when forced to by malfunctioning equipment (most notably Alien and Jaws, which are oddly enough the two best examples of this done right that I can think of.) I think MNS was smart enough to do this even in CGI (the shot of the alien on the TV is my favorite shot in the movie), but his payoff wasn't good enough. I didn't have a problem with the design of the alien (I think that's overblown most of the time) but we saw it for too long and it was too static. It doesn't really affect whether the story works or not, and it doesn't affect my opinion of the movie in a significant way, but it could have been done better.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Just.... ...?

Sigh.

----

EDIT: Okay, so this is interesting. Compare that crappy American trailer to the Europoean/UK trailer and let me know what you think. Any better?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

ran across this spoof trailer of Shyamalan... lol....

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

I will feel really sad if anyone picks the Sixth Sense

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the list forgot one of his movies... devil... which was less horrible than some of his others, though not fantastic

I fell asleep twice while trying to watch Signs and didn't bother with most of his later ones because... what's the point?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, Devil was marginally okay. Someone else scripted Shyamalan's story, though -- it was his idea, but actually assembled by others; he didn't write or direct it.

Starred Chris Messina (Six Feet Under) and Logan Marshall-Green (Prometheus).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    I will feel really sad if anyone picks the Sixth Sense
    If M. Night Shyamalan were a musician, the Sixth Sense would have been his one hit wonder.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

So much easier to pick a "best" as there was only one: The Sixth Sense.

Boom. Done.

That was your daily dose of Te efficiency. (You're welcome)
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post