User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Movie is Worst?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • After Earth

1 4.00%
  • The Last Airbender

16 64.00%
  • The Happening

6 24.00%
  • Lady in the Water

2 8.00%
  • The Village

2 8.00%
  • Signs

2 8.00%
  • Unbreakable

0 0%
  • The Sixth Sense

1 4.00%
  • Wide Awake

0 0%
  • Praying with Anger

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Was that because you don't particularly like the stars (like Joaquin Phoenix or Mel Gibson, et al.. since your liking the stars in the other movies seems to drive your appreciation of the movies), or was there a different reason?
    Hmm... I don't know. I don't particularly like Mel Gibson, but Joaquin is fine. I guess in Signs I just thought the creatures were completely anti-climactic, which made the whole movie annoying. But yeah, maybe the leads in those movies just didn't have the redeeming value of Giamatti and Marky Mark.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Was that because you don't particularly like the stars (like Joaquin Phoenix or Mel Gibson, et al.. since your liking the stars in the other movies seems to drive your appreciation of the movies), or was there a different reason?
    Hmm... I don't know. I don't particularly like Mel Gibson, but Joaquin is fine. I guess in Signs I just thought the creatures were completely anti-climactic, which made the whole movie annoying. But yeah, maybe the leads in those movies just didn't have the redeeming value of Giamatti and Marky Mark.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I voted for the village because the plot was stolen from a children's book I read a few years before I saw the movie.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I liked Lady in the Water, but a problem with both it and Signs is why did they waste so much money on CG character shots if most of them are gonna be reflected on a TV screen or a washing machine?

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I cited for the village because the plot was stolen from a children's book I read a few years before I saw the movie.
    While the twist wasn't ripped from Goosebumps per se, it seemed reminiscent of something from one of the lamer books.

That being said, the villains in The Happening are trees. That makes it very easy to make a decision.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    While the twist wasn't ripped from Goosebumps per se, it seemed reminiscent of something from one of the lamer books.

That being said, the villains in The Happening are trees. That makes it very easy to make a decision.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runni...f_Time_(novel)

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Wow, that seems like pretty blatant plagiarism.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Wow, that seems like pretty blatant plagiarism.
    Meh.

The book seems to have a lot of things the book does not, and the movie has focal points (such as the critters) that the book doesn't. Even the purpose of the community is different.

The basic overlap is that it's a closed community emulating a past time period, where a girl has to go get medicine, but even the plot order is different. In the book, running for medicine is the first part of the plot that leads to the rest, while in the movie it's the end of the plotline. It's not even a "unique" plotline; if you were writing a story about a closed antiquated community in modern times, the need for modern medicine to save a life is probably one of the first brainstorm ideas that would be raised.

Unless there is some smoking gun with specific ripped off characters and the like, I think the plagarism charge is a little much. It's like saying a book is a complete ripoff of Tolkien just because it has dwarves and elves in it and there's a nasty evil bad guy who wants to take over the world. It's likely the author knows of Tolkien, but it doesn't mean it's plagarism.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    I liked Lady in the Water, but a problem with both it and Signs is why did they waste so much money on CG character shots if most of them are gonna be reflected on a TV screen or a washing machine?
    Lol. I wish MNS had stuck with alien reflections in "Signs." It would have been better for the movie.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Lol. I wish MNS had stuck with alien reflections in "Signs." It would have been better for the movie.

I would have loved Signs if it weren't for how freaking dumb the aliens looked. Few movies/shows that show their usually-obscured Big Bad pull it off well. (Cloverfield and LOST come to mind as exceptions -- but the risk generally isn't worth it.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Meh.

The book seems to have a lot of things the book does not, and the movie has focal points (such as the critters) that the book doesn't. Even the purpose of the community is different.

The basic overlap is that it's a closed community emulating a past time period, where a girl has to go get medicine, but even the plot order is different. In the book, running for medicine is the first part of the plot that leads to the rest, while in the movie it's the end of the plotline. It's not even a "unique" plotline; if you were writing a story about a closed antiquated community in modern times, the need for modern medicine to save a life is probably one of the first brainstorm ideas that would be raised.

Unless there is some smoking gun with specific ripped off characters and the like, I think the plagarism charge is a little much. It's like saying a book is a complete ripoff of Tolkien just because it has dwarves and elves in it and there's a nasty evil bad guy who wants to take over the world. It's likely the author knows of Tolkien, but it doesn't mean it's plagarism.
    Well, the critters weren't actually real, and were just to scare people from escaping. The resemblance is pretty strong, though, even if it's just a coincidence, and not technically plagiarism.

Visit my Johari: