User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Ironically, watching those movies as an adult, I wasn't that impressed. (There's much of Jaws I'm not impressed by either, although it had a few great scenes.) Yes, I'm a heretic.

But E.T. just seems to be more of a Boomer dream.
    I liked Super 8 far better, it acknowledges realistic loss for me while finding beauty amid tragedy. There's my Gen X mentality, for you...
    I accept your heresy. Watching Jaws as a kid filled me with the most irrational fear of sharks I've heard of. It was the worst.

Maybe I can grow to acknowledge that the shark is secretly my animal totem and that my true self is ruthless and undying.

Thanks, Spielberg?

EDIT: Yeah, I loved Super 8 too. It seems cliched to say it, but these realistic, gritty films that fall in line with the tone of The Dark Knight are basically the status quo at this point. I'm wondering what sort of phase we'll hit next.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I accept your heresy. Watching Jaws as a kid filled me with the most irrational fear of sharks I've heard of. It was the worst.
    I did mention there were a few scenes.

I think the very first one (with the smimmer getting jerked around on the surface with no one to hear her screams) fuels my own ocean fears even today.

Maybe I can grow to acknowledge that the shark is secretly my animal totem and that my true self is ruthless and undying.
    I am sure that's it.

*grabs harpoon gun*

EDIT: Yeah, I loved Super 8 too. It seems cliched to say it, but these realistic, gritty films that fall in line with the tone of The Dark Knight are basically the status quo at this point. I'm wondering what sort of phase we'll hit next.
    It goes in cycles. If there's too much grit, then things will get sweet again because it's different.

The grit is not a phase for me, it's actually where my head is, but I appreciate pure sweetness as well. (I actually cry watching the remake of Parent Trap, for example. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Heretic!

I agree that E.T. isn't very good (then again I didn't like it when I was 13, either.) But Jaws and Close Encounters (particularly the former) should be taught in film schools because they're so damn near perfect. Film schools like to teach about art house movies instead of popcorn movies, but no one can tell me that Jaws doesn't belong among greats like Citizen Kane, Vertigo and The Godfather as examples of the best movies ever made.

I liked Super 8 a lot. It was a fun homage to Spielberg and much of it was on his level, but I was so mad at the last 10 minutes for almost ruining it.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Heretic!

I agree that E.T. isn't very good (then again I didn't like it when I was 13, either.) But Jaws and Close Encounters (particularly the former) should be taught in film schools because they're so damn near perfect. Film schools like to teach about art house movies instead of popcorn movies, but no one can tell me that Jaws doesn't belong among greats like Citizen Kane, Vertigo and The Godfather as examples of the best movies ever made.
    I'll give some credit on Jaws in that I'm jaded. There's a lot of movies I just don't find interesting that are classics. For example, "North by Northwest" bored me. Maybe if I was born a generation ago and were watching it when it was released, I'd have a much different experience.

I liked Super 8 a lot. It was a fun homage to Spielberg and much of it was on his level, but I was so mad at the last 10 minutes for almost ruining it.
    Dammit. If this were a Clint Eastwood western, we'd be taking shots at each other in a saloon by now.

... at least tell me we agree about The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Which reminds me.
    I've never watched The Godfather yet. *duck*
    (But I've seen Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter!)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I'll give some credit on Jaws in that I'm jaded. There's a lot of movies I just don't find interesting that are classics. For example, "North by Northwest" bored me. Maybe if I was born a generation ago and were watching it when it was released, I'd have a much different experience.
    I think there's definitely something to that. There are classics that I'm bored by, too, and probably in a way that audiences of the time wouldn't be. But some classics are more "of their time" than others. I think the entertainment value of Citizen Kane, The Godfather, and yes, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly in particular remain unaffected by time.

Dammit. If this were a Clint Eastwood western, we'd be taking shots at each other in a saloon by now.
    I said I liked it a lot!

... at least tell me we agree about The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
    Yep! See above for my ringing endorsement.

Which reminds me.
    I've never watched The Godfather yet. *duck*
    (But I've seen Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter!)
    You simply must. It's an investment of time for sure (especially to watch Godfather II as well), but well worth it. It's a builder too, so if you don't like the first hour, stick with it. All the emotional birds come home to roost, or something.

Johari
    /Nohari

Ginkgo

I did mention there were a few scenes.

I think the very first one (with the smimmer getting jerked around on the surface with no one to hear her screams) fuels my own ocean fears even today.
    For me, it's not just the ocean.

It's the lake (bullsharks).

It's your neighbor's pool.

It's your bathtub and your toilet.

As far as I'm concerned, there's a wormhole that sharks pass through to transcend time and space. Who knows? @Mole may believe that wormhole to be the internet itself.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

For me, it's not just the ocean.

It's the lake (bullsharks).

It's your neighbor's pool.

It's your bathtub and your toilet.

As far as I'm concerned, there's a wormhole that sharks pass through to transcend time and space. Who knows? @Mole may believe that wormhole to be the internet itself.

I suppose it could be disconcerting to sit on the john and feel like you're dangling for deep-sea prizefish...

Poor Night. my wonderful thread is devolving into something apparently more interesting than even an MNS film.

That's just silly, we all know the internet is a series of tubes.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    That's just silly, we all know the internet is a series of tubes.
    Yeah. Tubes with sharks in them.

Tube sharks.

Thanks for my next movie idea!

Johari
    /Nohari