User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

yeah the internet is wayy harder to go without for a week.
    this is why my parents used to always ground me from the internet.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Isn't it whatever you want it to be?

I mean, you are the one choosing to do this particular "fasting" and you also have enough integrity that you know whether your external behavior is truly reflecting your inner motivation and/or need for doing this.

So determine why you are doing this; then ask, "Is watching DVDs going to support or undermine my reasons?"

Personally, I think I'd just forgo all of it. I barely watch TV anymore now, even though I have it. (I'd cancel it if it wasn't just $6 extra a month on my high-speed Internet bill, but it's probably worth $6 a month.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ

I don't own a tv. I went to an early college when I was 15. There were 50 students total in my program. Main thing we all had in common was, very little television consumption. I didn't get to watch tv until I was 12, that may have contributed.

Good luck with your decision.

MBTI
    INTP

Weird timing. I decided to try to go the whole month of June without TV. For the most part, it worked. My intent was to try to get out of the cycle of just plopping on the couch after work and watching whatever was on for the next 4 hours. I thought I had chosen a good month because most of the shows were into reruns but I quickly found that I had to create some loopholes. I allowed sports (US open, UFC) and Friday night scifi (Battlestar, Dr. Who). Good luck with your fast!

MBTI
    INFP

I haven't lived with a telly for almost a year now. It isn't missed.

Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    Weird timing. I decided to try to go the whole month of June without TV. For the most part, it worked. My intent was to try to get out of the cycle of just plopping on the couch after work and watching whatever was on for the next 4 hours. I thought I had chosen a good month because most of the shows were into reruns but I quickly found that I had to create some loopholes. I allowed sports (US open, UFC) and Friday night scifi (Battlestar, Dr. Who). Good luck with your fast!
    Yeah, the summer seems to be the best time to give this a shot. Scripted TV is in reruns, I don't watch many reality shows, and my favorite sports (football and hockey) are not in season. The biggest threat to ruin this is probably ESPN News. I've been known to leave it on for a few hours as background while doing something else, and I think it slows me down. I'm impressed that you made it a whole month with your modified fast! I know for a fact I could never go a month, and I probably shouldn't anyway because I work in entertainment. A stockbroker shouldn't give up the Wall Street Journal for an extended period, either

I started Sunday, so we'll see how long this goes...
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

I'm really not certain why I'm doing this. It's partly because I want to be more productive in other areas. I want to get more writing done. I want to finish my Photoshop and Illustrator lessons. I want to do research for my script. I want to think more. But truthfully, the primary reason is that I have some kind of ineffable desire for cleansing. Something akin to Jesus' 40 days in the desert. Solitary time to get your shit straight.

I started on Sunday, which means I'm just finishing up my second day as I write this. The only TV I'm allowing myself is white noise to fall asleep by. I'm going to try to fall asleep without it, but if I can't then I'll turn it on. I don't think that breaks the spirit of the law. I briefly considered not counting DVDs, but quickly realized that it was just a safety valve. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to DO it.

It's been hard. REALLY hard. I'm so used to instinctively turning on the TV in the morning and having it on whenever I'm home, even if I'm not paying attention to it. I'm a multitasker, always doing at least two things at once. And most of the time TV is one of those things. Mealtimes are awkward. I don't know what to do with myself when it's time to eat dinner and the TV is off. It's like sitting across from an empty place setting where your dinner companion should be. It's also very quiet. I'm listening to a lot of music, and when I'm on the computer I'm listening to podcasts. But it's still quieter. I can hear noises in the building that I don't remember hearing before. I feel like this has already been a valuable experience even though I hate every minute of it. Maybe because I hate every minute of it.

I'm going to post every day this week so there's a record of my thoughts about this little experiment. I could never give up TV forever, nor would I want to. But this seems like the right thing to do for now.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

heart on fire

Good luck to you out there in the desert. You can do this!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Like many other people, I've gone about a year with almost no T.V. (Occasionally I get some for a week or so on vacations, but most of the time I'm not watching any.). Other people have described pretty well how it works.

Once you get used to not having the T.V. on all the time, the lack of noise and constant movement will likely be nice.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I've gone over a week without TV by accident.

And I love television.