MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default After Earth

Wednesday afternoon.

No reviews yet from critics on RT. Nor Metacritic. Bad sign.

I went snooping.

The first review I found was in German. Yes. I had to translate the page to find it. It was rather worthless, it didn't really say anything about the film that gave me a sense of its quality.

The next review comes from Tampa. I'm not enamoured with the reviewer but considering what things were covered, there is likely to be some truth to it even if not totally reputable. [The rating here is 1.5/4.]

http://cwtampa.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...w-after-earth/

"Moderate" scoring review from Steve Persall in Tampa as well:
    http://moviereviewintelligence.com/m...mpa_bay_times/

Apparently Tampa is the only city with any cajones, or wasn't considered important enough to pay off to prevent them from dumping their load early.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It might have a slight chance of being a parody of Oblivion, rather than just a parody of M. Night Shyamalan movies.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    It might have a slight chance of being a parody of Oblivion, rather than just a parody of M. Night Shyamalan movies.
    Is that supposed to be a boost?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Is that supposed to be a boost?
    I thought Oblivion was the best sci-fi movie of the year (so far), and the best this movie seems to be is a parody.

M. Night has been unaware of how hilarious he is since after Unbreakable, my personal favorite of his.

And the CG creatures in After Earth look like crap...as bad as the werewolves in the Twilight movies.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I thought Oblivion was the best sci-fi movie of the year (so far), and the best this movie seems to be is a parody.

And the CG creatures in After Earth look like crap...as bad as the werewolves in the Twilight movies.
    Oblivion actually wasn't that great. I'd probably give it a 6 or 6.5 out of 10. I think the design (especially of the robots, ship, and homes/bases) was excellent, but the entire movie was rather soulless. Middle of road for Cruise, although much better than Jack Reacher. The director had the same problem with Tron Legacy -- pretty lights, but kind of empty in terms of space, and the movie itself only had a few flickers of actual soul.

... well, as far as Twilight goes.... ain't gonna argue with you there!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

... well, as far as Twilight goes.... ain't gonna argue with you there!
    I just saw CG werewolves in the trailers, and a creepy CG baby in a TGWTG episode.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I just saw CG werewolves in the trailers, and a creepy CG baby in a TGWTG episode.
    I'd have been surprised if you'd actually watched Twilight.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd have been surprised if you'd actually watched Twilight.
    I saw the first one. I didn't have any intense dislike for it, I just thought it was boring. I hear mixed things about the sequels, though, stating they're boring or that they're worth watching because of how bad they are (like many of M. Night's latter-day movies). Maybe one of these days I'll check them out.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I saw the first one. I didn't have any intense dislike for it, I just thought it was boring. I hear mixed things about the sequels, though, stating they're boring or that they're worth watching because of how bad they are (like many of M. Night's latter-day movies). Maybe one of these days I'll check them out.
    I actually saw most of the first one and didn't think it was awful, I was just kind of indifferent....

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I may try to see it this weekend, but I also want to go camping and I'm not sure it's a good idea to see this particular movie then go sleep in a raggedy tent in the woods.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers