• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

After Earth

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked that too. There's also the scene at the end where the surviving Klingon is miffed that he doesn't get to die a warrior's death. So far, it's the only Star Trek movie I've seen that focused on any of the aliens, really. (When I get to VI, I should be pleased. I think I'm gonna skip V, since I caught the end of that on TV along time ago as part of a prior attempt to get into Trek. Yeah, I don't think that's the best way to do that)

I'll probably watch IV next, then I (which seems like an odd prototype for the Next Generation, based on everything I've read about it.), then VI.

I don't remember much for IV, but it was definitely better than V.

V was pretty horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't even know how to describe it, I'm too embarrassed to even describe the scenes.

VI is kind of a blur, I don't remember anything about it except Christopher Plummer was in it, I think.

I really wanted to like the first movie, but if that's true to the comic, Thor sucks as a character, which made that difficult. He's everything people complain about when they complain about Superman, only it's actually true for him. He grew up as royalty, not an outsider, and is also, quite literally, a God. I rooted more for Loki, but he wasn't really that interesting, either.

Thor was a hard book to write, it's hard to make gods interesting. I think Walt Simonson did some of the best runs on it (both art and story), because he changed stuff up. For example, at one point Thor lost his hammer to an alien (Beta Ray Bill) who bested him in combat and became the new Thor. Later, Thor actually got turned into a frog, which was funny as hell. There was also a huge storyline where Surtur got loose and Odin had to stop him... with some pretty dire results.

Basically, Simonson solved the problem by putting Thor in situations where he was no longer "god-like" or was suffering humility within the storyline.

I know in the one dark Marvel future storyline (was it Civil Wars?), Reed Richards had the audacity to clone Thor and then plant a control device in the clone; it didn't work, and the freakin' Thor clone killed Giant Man unnecessarily in a fight scene. It was pretty crazy -- everyone was like, "Reed, wtf were you even thinking???" It's like these superheroes, with all the power they wield, end up making the same mistake the scientists made in creating the atom bomb. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
V was pretty horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't even know how to describe it, I'm too embarrassed to even describe the scenes.

I just remember that Kirk appeared to defeat God. Later someone explained to me that it wasn't actually God, but I don't remember that being terribly clear, so I was just really confused. I kept on saying... "wait, he just killed God, doesn't anyone want to like, talk about that? Seems like it should be kind of a big deal."

Yeah, I'm skipping that.
VI is kind of a blur, I don't remember anything about it except Christopher Plummer was in it, I think.

It seems to be an allegory for the end of the Cold War, only the Russians are Klingons.

Thor was a hard book to write, it's hard to make gods interesting. I think Walt Simonson did some of the best runs on it (both art and story), because he changed stuff up. For example, at one point Thor lost his hammer to an alien (Beta Ray Bill) who bested him in combat and became the new Thor. Later, Thor actually got turned into a frog, which was funny as hell. There was also a huge storyline where Surtur got loose and Odin had to stop him... with some pretty dire results.

Basically, Simonson solved the problem by putting Thor in situations where he was no longer "god-like" or was suffering humility within the storyline.

They tried to do that in the movie, but it didn't work for some reason.

I know in the one dark Marvel future storyline (was it Civil Wars?), Reed Richards had the audacity to clone Thor and then plant a control device in the clone; it didn't work, and the freakin' Thor clone killed Giant Man unnecessarily in a fight scene. It was pretty crazy -- everyone was like, "Reed, wtf were you even thinking???" It's like these superheroes, with all the power they wield, end up making the same mistake the scientists made in creating the atom bomb. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

If they want to use a dark Thor plotline, they should use that, sounds like.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just remember that Kirk appeared to defeat God. Later someone explained to me that it wasn't actually God, but I don't remember that being terribly clear, so I was just really confused. I kept on saying... "wait, he just killed God, doesn't anyone want to like, talk about that? Seems like it should be kind of a big deal."

Yeah, I'm skipping that.

it was just some alien being that pretended to be God, but apparently needed a spaceship to get off the planet. Kirk's big question was, "Why does God need a spaceship?"

I won't even discuss the "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" segues.

From IMDB:

Is it true that this film is non-canon within the Star Trek series?

Technically the film is canon and in continuity with the rest of Trek, unless you consider only material personally approved by Gene Roddenberry to be canon. However, the matter is somewhat moot, as there was an unspoken rule among the following Star Trek writers that the events in the film would never be referred to again, since it was considered such an embarrassment to the franchise. As The Next Generation and Deep Space 9 writer Ronald D. Moore said on the matter: "Yes, Star Trek V exists. Yes, the events that transpired in the movie happened in the world of Star Trek. We just don't talk about it, ever."

--------------

It seems to be an allegory for the end of the Cold War, only the Russians are Klingons.

yeah, I think you are right on that one.

If they want to use a dark Thor plotline, they should use that, sounds like.

lol. That would be amusing. I don't remember why the Thor clone is around and not Thor himself.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An old friend of mine, whom I am quite accustomed to insulting as an affectionate matter of sport (going back to elementary school), continually pulls the line "So how many times did you watch Star Trek 5 last night?"

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]

hmm. I really liked tron, but that's because I love daft punk and neon dudes doing flips to daft punk music.

That's about all I liked. I didn't give a shit about olivia wilde's character or that other dude with the motorcycle. None of the characters expressed any sort of opinions, they were just flat observers to the 2 hour long daft punk music video. lmao.