User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 65

Thread: After Earth

  1. #51
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I was hoping for cooler scary animals.
    yes, the film felt kind of underpopulated - -I think we saw eagles, pigs, and baboons + the ursa or whatever it was And lots of little birds and what looked like bison or something that we never saw up close. But it all felt kind of bare.

    The cast list was not very long at all.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #52
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    close to the worst. (That distinction belongs either to Last airbender or Lady in the WAter.) I think the critics can be pack animals at times, and this seems to be one of those situations.
    I listened to a detailed review of the movie, and honestly, there was a lot of stuff that sounded interesting.

    Hell, I even like the idea of a "future accent."

    This, combined with the fact that there's not the dumb twist I was expecting it to have, means it's worth a rental.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  3. #53
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I listened to a detailed review of the movie, and honestly, there was a lot of stuff that sounded interesting.

    Hell, I even like the idea of a "future accent."

    This, combined with the fact that there's not the dumb twist I was expecting it to have, means it's worth a rental.
    I think the problem with the accent was that it was (1) inconsistent not only among the humans but even among individuals and (2) it sounded half-assed. really, it sounded like what people in an amateur production would do after being coached, "Uh, talk with an accent during the movie, so that you sound like you're from some other place!"

    I swear, one guy's accent sounded like Scottish brogue, but no one else's did.

    This was actually a movie that could have used a small twist of some sort; it was actually a little too straight.

    I think a rental would be worth it. I liked it better than Jack the Giant Slayer.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #54
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think a rental would be worth it. I liked it better than Jack the Giant Slayer.
    The whole "epic" fairy tale thing isn't something I can get into. Mostly because it seems like a trend that exist so that studios can use properties with "'name recognition"" without actually paying anyone, seeing as how they are public domain. It seems too marketing driven. Basically, all they do is take a fairytale and past some epic fantasy tropes on top of them, and maybe do some desaturation so that it seems really "dark and adult." without actually including anything "dark and adult."

    Am I that far off in my assessment of these movies? That's the impression I got from the trailers.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  5. #55
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    The whole "epic" fairy tale thing isn't something I can get into. Mostly because it seems like a trend that exist so that studios can use properties with "'name recognition"" without actually paying anyone, seeing as how they are public domain. It seems too marketing driven. Basically, all they do is take a fairytale and past some epic fantasy tropes on top of them, and maybe do some desaturation so that it seems really "dark and adult." without actually including anything "dark and adult."

    Am I that far off in my assessment of these movies? That's the impression I got from the trailers.
    Jack wasn't much of an epic, it was pretty much just crap.

    it couldn't decide whether it was an adult film or kid's film, for one.

    stanley tucci and ewan mcgregor had some fun with their roles, but you could definitely see the distinction when they were in a frame and when they weren't. Ian McShane was totally wasted. (I mean, in the role, not high or drunk -- although if he WAS high or drunk, that might explain his performance a bit.) Bill Nighy, wasted as well. At least they could have let him chew up the scenery a bit like he did in Underworld.

    The storyline was boring, and when the giants finally invaded earth (not much of a spoiler there) it didn't really last long. End result was pretty predictable too.

    I honestly would have rather seen Tucci and McGregor ad'libbing the entire movie with the cameras rolling, vs what the actual script was and even not having any giants. It would have been funnier and more interesting.

    I think epic tales can be interesting, but this was not it. I really don't know who greenlights this crap. Your assessment is mostly right on this one... and yes, fairy tales are a hot approach nowadays and like you said, the story is public domain, known by everyone, and free for the plundering.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #56
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Jack wasn't much of an epic, it was pretty much just crap.

    it couldn't decide whether it was an adult film or kid's film, for one.

    stanley tucci and ewan mcgregor had some fun with their roles, but you could definitely see the distinction when they were in a frame and when they weren't. Ian McShane was totally wasted. (I mean, in the role, not high or drunk -- although if he WAS high or drunk, that might explain his performance a bit.) Bill Nighy, wasted as well. At least they could have let him chew up the scenery a bit like he did in Underworld.

    The storyline was boring, and when the giants finally invaded earth (not much of a spoiler there) it didn't really last long. End result was pretty predictable too.

    I honestly would have rather seen Tucci and McGregor ad'libbing the entire movie with the cameras rolling, vs what the actual script was and even not having any giants. It would have been funnier and more interesting.

    I think epic tales can be interesting, but this was not it. .
    No, don't get me wrong, I love my epic tales. I just don't like some stuff that feels like it's thrown together by some dude while watching LOTR in a bar with the sound turned off while he's waiting for his BAC to go down enough so that he can drive home. Which is the vibe I get from the trailers for these kinds of movies.

    Also, if the original story involved a princess in distress, they have to throw something in there about how she can "take of herself" (and usually include that exact line) even though she can't, because if she could, there wouldn't be anything for the male hero to do.

    I saw a trailer for another movie, Seventh Sons, that looked somewhat more promising. (Apparently it's a book. I need to start reading speculative fiction before it becomes a movie or a TV series. )

    I also find myself annoyed by "dark" becoming a marketing buzzword. Not that I don't like cynicism, moral ambiguity, or stuff that push buttons. My main objection is that it's a stupid marketing buzzword applied in places where it doesn't apply. I liked "Star Trek: Into Darkness", but it was still optimistic Star Trek. It wasn't really dark. Search for Spock was a darker movie, actually.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  7. #57
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I also find myself annoyed by "dark" becoming a marketing buzzword. Not that I don't like cynicism, moral ambiguity, or stuff that push buttons. My main objection is that it's a stupid marketing buzzword applied in places where it doesn't apply. I liked "Star Trek: Into Darkness", but it was still optimistic Star Trek. It wasn't really dark. Search for Spock was a darker movie, actually.
    Agreed. I have nothing against "darker" stories myself, in some ways they're more realistic, but I would agree definitely that American cinema is milking the idea for all its worth in the last year or two.

    Moving past Star Trek, we now have Thor 2: The Dark World. *doh* I mean, I hated the first Thor, and this just looks to be more of the SSDD.

    I feel in a minority here, but I really liked The Search for Spock. (And besides, it had someone actually playing Saavik like she was half-Vulcan, half-Romulan.) I saw that movie in the theater with a friend, and I remember just being stunned when the freakin' Enterprise blew up and left a death trail across the sky while Kirk said, "What have I done? Oh what have I done?" And I guess Bones says, "you've done what you do every time, Jim -- turn death into a fighting chance for life." (or something like that). The theater was dead silent.

    if any movie with a "happy ending" still left me quiet and somber afterwards, it was that one. They saved Spock, yes, but the cost was SOOO high and not paid lightly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #58
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Agreed. I have nothing against "darker" stories myself, in some ways they're more realistic, but I would agree definitely that American cinema is milking the idea for all its worth in the last year or two.

    Moving past Star Trek, we now have Thor 2: The Dark World. *doh* I mean, I hated the first Thor, and this just looks to be more of the SSDD.

    I feel in a minority here, but I really liked The Search for Spock. (And besides, it had someone actually playing Saavik like she was half-Vulcan, half-Romulan.) I saw that movie in the theater with a friend, and I remember just being stunned when the freakin' Enterprise blew up and left a death trail across the sky while Kirk said, "What have I done? Oh what have I done?" And I guess Bones says, "you've done what you do every time, Jim -- turn death into a fighting chance for life." (or something like that). The theater was dead silent.
    I liked it, too, possibly more than Wrath of Khan. Destroying the Enterprise.... now that was ballsy. I found myself hating Chrstopher Lloyd, and in my book, if I have a strong reaction to the villain, they're doing something right.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  9. #59
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I liked it, too, possibly more than Wrath of Khan. Destroying the Enterprise.... now that was ballsy. I found myself hating Chrstopher Lloyd, and in my book, if I have a strong reaction to the villain, they're doing something right.
    What did you think of the scene where he blows up the informant ship with the Klingon spy on it? It was all pretty interesting stuff, considering that movie predates ST:TNG and so we hadn't yet been acquainted via Worf et al with Klingon tradition and honor. It's just that it the dialog was in Klingon, and I do not recall if there were subtitles in the theatrical presentation.

    And Christopher Lloyd is so lovable in other contexts. It wouldn't be long until we saw him in Back to the Future.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #60
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What did you think of the scene where he blows up the informant ship with the Klingon spy on it? It was all pretty interesting stuff, considering that movie predates ST:TNG and so we hadn't yet been acquainted via Worf et al with Klingon tradition and honor.
    I liked that too. There's also the scene at the end where the surviving Klingon is miffed that he doesn't get to die a warrior's death. So far, it's the only Star Trek movie I've seen that focused on any of the aliens, really. (When I get to VI, I should be pleased. I think I'm gonna skip V, since I caught the end of that on TV along time ago as part of a prior attempt to get into Trek. Yeah, I don't think that's the best way to do that)

    I'll probably watch IV next, then I (which seems like an odd prototype for the Next Generation, based on everything I've read about it.), then VI.


    And Christopher Lloyd is so lovable in other contexts. It wouldn't be long until we saw him in Back to the Future.
    He was Judge Doom, but Judge Doom was kind of a loveable villain.

    Regarding Thor, apparently this is supposed to have a Game of Thrones feel, because Game of Thrones is DARK. In reality, I think all they are going to do is stick in more fantasy trappings and maybe kill off some characters people don't care about. I doubt they're going to fuck with the audience on the level that the show does, show someone doing "the right thing" and then not having it work out so well.

    I really wanted to like the first movie, but if that's true to the comic, Thor sucks as a character, which made that difficult. He's everything people complain about when they complain about Superman, only it's actually true for him. He grew up as royalty, not an outsider, and is also, quite literally, a God. I rooted more for Loki, but he wasn't really that interesting, either.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Similar Threads

  1. After Humanity
    By kuranes in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
  2. New Findings Expose Flaws in Old-Earth TheoryThe age of the earth is a pivotal topic
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 05:20 PM
  3. Google Earth, now with the sky.
    By Natrushka in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 11:11 AM
  4. BBC's Planet Earth
    By sundowning in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 01:01 AM
  5. Your Kids Are Polluting the Earth
    By FranG in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 11:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO