User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: How Do Art?

MBTI
    INTP

Default How Do Art?

So this is my relationship with art right now:

I wanna learn to draw. However I can't even do a stick figure with approximately correct proportions. How do I get from Sucking to Bob Ross in the most efficient way?

The way I see it I could either go to a teacher first to learn the fundamentals. Get a solid grounding, and then use that to practise and improve in my own time. Or I could experiment a lot first, build up some measure of skill, then go to a teacher to clean up my technique and fine tune my method.

So to all you arty types, how do I art? Or, more accurately, how do I start to art? :P
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

Subscribed. Also I think your avatar is pure work of art.

MBTI
    INTP

Alas it's not mine

this book

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

WALMART

only one way to get to carnegie hall

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    only one way to get to carnegie hall
    Well, yes, but where to start?

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Well, yes, but where to start?

I think you've already laid out the two most logical positions already: find a teacher, or take an interest in doodling. Vas posted a lovely looking book, up there. I know there are a lot of how to draw books, anime characters and such. My brother used them a lot in high school, became very skilled at it.

That's the thing, though: he used them. Recently I grew fond drawing on my Nintendo 3DS; I would send notes to my brother daily of assorted shit that popped into my mind. It grew, I started dabbling a little on paper. Subsequently, I can draw people taking a dump and bombs being dropped on cities that much better. I work out - I wasn't good at first. I had to consciously explore what exercise I was doing next, what muscle groups I had to target. Now I can flow entire routines without much thought, I can even start to ponder on assorted subjects while I'm exercising, it's not mentally repetitious but explorative.

Here's a relative topic, one of my favorites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

What you're attempting is a high challenge, high skill activity. I believe you have to truly want to develop this skill, but not only want it. You have to do it. There is no real magic fairy dust in the world that delivers skill and technique on a platter, unfortunately. You gotta do it, results be damned! Grab a stack of paper and start drawing your wall, I don't know. Draw a pony. Draw your DVD collection. Draw your coffee mug. Draw your mother's face. Get an art teacher. Draw the movie poster to your favorite film. Draw an orbit of planets. Let your Ne guide you.

MBTI
    INTP

Oh I am aware of the sort of dedication of time and concentrated effort it will take to go from Pretty Shite to Mere Mediocrity, let alone anything decent.

Using music as a parallel: I was taught by teachers first on 3 instruments (recorder, tinwhistle, flute - formal) and then I taught myself guitar (badly) and ukulele (decent), and then back to teachers for piano (vital!!!). I've also had extensive grounding in musical theory (got my grade 8 and half a degree ) which makes it easy as pie to pick up a new instrument and mess around for a few minutes to get the basics. Knowing the framework of music makes it child's play to intuit a new instrument, which I love.

This makes me think a teacher first, explore later approach would be better for me than an explore first, teacher later (to clean up the mess) one. Or at least it would be more efficient. But maybe the two disciplines are incomparable

Looking online for a decent beginner adult class is damned hard too. A lot of them seem to be January/September intakes, or overly expensive & brief workshop type things.

Perhaps the private tutor route might be worth investigating.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

WALMART

Yeah, I was going to say that with music, a solid foundation of music theory is nice to have when tinkering away with instruments. Which pretty much requires a teacher of some sort - I took violin when I was young, and I've been able to pick up most string instruments since relatively easy. The transition to more analog instruments is even easier...

Is art the same way? Is there some fundamental groundwork that can be laid out that expedites the creative process?

I definitely think classes are the way to go. Until then, though, don't be afraid to toil away with your currently available resources... drawing is almost free, lol. Good luck!

MBTI
    INTP

Violin - now there's one I'd like to try. I got a lute at Christmas and that's awesome, but I'd like to try some traditional strings too. Violas are badass.

That's the thing though, I dunno how comparable fine art and music are. It could be that drawing parallels between them is utterly nonsensical. I would like to try to get some formal training first though before branching out on my own - I think that learning the fundamentals of form, proportion and perspective would be a bit difficult to conquer alone.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe