User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: How Do Art?

your resident asshole

OMFG Vulpix!!!

Will you be doing more Pokémon or other cool things?

The half vulpix, half yawning fox turned out a bit interesting though. lol

MBTI
    INTP

No more cool things. They're against my religion. Already there will be a penance to pay for the vulpix But yeah, any suggestions for stuff you guys would like to see me ruin, and I'll be happy to give it a go.

Though right now I'm thinking I should keep trying to perfect simple, basic drawings instead of sloppily doing more complex ones.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

As for colored pencils, prismacolor pencils are really good. You can of course get higher-end colored pencils, but the prismacolor are still heads and shoulders above your basic crayola or store brand. They are a little more pricey, but the feel of the line is so much smoother, the colors lay down more evenly and richly on the paper. Good for shading and blending.

I think you can get a 12-count on amazon for like $10 or a 24-count for like $16. With blending, you probably don't need many more than 12 or 24 colors anyway.

One thing that's tricky about colored pencils is that you cannot paint over or draw over with a lighter color, and you can't really erase completely. So if you make a mistake and color something too darkly, you can use an eraser to lighten it up, but you can never get it back to pure white. I suppose you could go over it with white chalk, but you'd need to use a spray sealer so the chalk doesn't smudge/brush off.

This same property is true of watercolors and markers to an even greater extent. Acrylic and oil paints you could paint over with white or a light color. But, of all of these mediums, I'd say colored pencils have the easiest learning curve.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

My art teacher in high school had us use cheap tempera/poster paint for learning color, if you wanted to try your hand at some painting. I'd recommend acrylic or tempera for beginning painting. Blending and shading is a lot more dynamic in these mediums than in colored pencil, because you can actually move two slightly different shades/hues around on the paper before the paint dries to create a gradient.

You just have to be patient if you are painting over something a different color.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP

Cool, I might try and pick up some nice pencils later so before I get stuck into something messy like paint. Thanks for the tip
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP

Ok well I went round a few art supply stores today - HUGE mistake. There were so many things! They had LOADS of beginner sets for all sorts - sketching, acrylics, oils, gouache, watercolours, loads of different types of pastels, even crayons! I was so so so tempted to buy a couple of those sets, but that would have amounted to about €60 and I managed to talk myself down from the art supply ledge before I lept into debt

However I did get a larger sketch pad, a nice colouring pencil set (just normal pencils, not any of the fancy watersoluble ones or the ink ones or the pastel ones or the.... ) and a set of chalky pastels because those looked fun.

Wish me luck!

EDIT: And they had mini canvasses! Like 1.5" squares! I wanted to buy all of them
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP

So I looked at lesson 13 and it was more damn houses, which I really wasn't in the mood for drawing, so I decided to leave it for today. Tried doodling a bit with my new pencils. I have no idea what I'm doing. It's pretty disheartening

Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP

So we're playing catch up now :P Here's lesson 13, which was "More Advanced Houses". I'm getting a bit sick of houses. The bonus was to trace a bunch of houses he drew. I skipped that. Fuck tracing.

And here's lesson 14, which was a lily (awww). Somewhat more interesting. The lesson was to draw a lily, then the bonus was to try combining the lily with the stylized rose from a few lessons back. Then draw more lilies.

I'll see about getting Lesson 15 done later. I wanna try messing around with the pastels a bit as well. I dunno. I'm getting demotivated by looking at deviantart, and the dawning realisation of just how LONG it will take to attain my goal of Not Shit
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP

And here is my attempt at dicking around with pastels. My initial impression is that they would probably work better for me as backgrounds, which I'd then seal somehow and draw/paint on top with something else. Though I've seen some gorgeous stuff on deviantart done entirely in chalk pastel (like a very realistic tiger, for example).

Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I've been enjoying this thread, so here's a little contribution.

How to draw a perfect circle:
    That is an uncannily accurate depiction of me watching artists' livestreams.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).