User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: How Do Art?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

Not much time to stop and chat today. I only got the main part of Lesson 7 done - "Advanced Cubes". Constructing building-type things with ramps and arches etc etc

I'll have to do the bonus tomorrow - I'm off now to go celebrate a friend's birthday. I'm not enough of a martyr to my art to miss a night out for it :P
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

subscribed
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks to everyone who left me supportive comments, either on thread or as reputation. It's pretty cool that ye find my crap drawings entertaining

Alright so here's the bonus from yesterday's lesson. The stairs came out wonky as a wibby wobbly wonder. Meh.

And here's my bonus fan art of Shane Tyree doing the animation for Pat Rothfuss singing "I Crush Everything".

I'll probably do Lesson 8 while I'm in work later. I'm kinda looking forward to it. It'll be a koala

Any suggestions for any more bonus fan art, request away!
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Ok sure. What makes you say that?
    He's notorious for several things, including sticking to artistic rendition stereotypes, not varying body shapes when drawing women, calling people who critique him "trolls" and whatever the heck you might call this:

Your art looks awesome, by the way! Keep it up, practice makes perfect!
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTP

Wow that's just, I mean, yeah. There are no words. Instead, koala!

(Sorry for the crap picture, I'll replace it with a scanned version tomorrow)

So lesson 8 was Koalas. The 3 circles at the top demonstrate how to get different textural effects. Then there is koala. Bonus is to draw a crowd of koalas, and then get some pictures of real koalas and try a more realistic one. Alas I'm out of time this evening (didn't get to draw in work today - stoopid customers expecting to be served ) so the angry koala mob must wait their turn.

Today, koalas. Tomorrow: the world*!

*Disclaimer: May just be more koalas. And some cubes.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

That's an awesome koala!

Keep'em coming and stop playing down your drawings.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

More koalas. Never let it be said that Oeufa reneged on a koala promise.

Crowd of koalas:

"Realistic" Koala (really disproportioned - I'll be trying this again later if I get time)

Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP

So I'm finally all caught up on my lessons now! This morning I was babysitting for an hour so I got yesterday's lesson done - The Rose. It started off by getting you to draw a couple of foreshortened circles, then making one of them a bowl of cereal. Next was to draw a few flags.

And then put these two principles together to make a spirally rose. Once the first one was done step-by-step, you could try doing a small bunch of them as the bonus challenge (I ran out of room on my paper )

Just as I was finishing this up, the baby I was watching found a cold cup of tea somewhere and poured it all over the ground, bringing a well-timed end to the morning's drawing session

Then this afternoon I was in Burger King waiting on a friend so I decided to try get Lesson 10 done. It was all about cylinders. It started off by getting you to draw three cylinders together. It then invited you to grab three cans or something similar and draw those. Except I was in Burger King so I just drew my smoothie (and ran out of room AGAIN - I need a bigger sketchpad )

I was starting on the smoothie when my artsy friend arrived and had to watch me finish. My shading "technique" was making her cringe a little bit

I still want to have another crack at the koala picture. I might try doing it properly by drawing a grid or something. Maybe it'll make it easier
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP

On to Lesson 11 - Advanced Cylinders. Oh joy This lesson was relatively straight forward. It gets you to simply draw a "cityscape" of cylinders. I tried to bear in mind what my arty friend told me yesterday about the direction of shading, and a tip I heard that you should blend in one direction only to get the dark->light transition more smooth. Thus this picture took way longer than usual to shade.

Then for the bonus, a field of holes. Awesome.

Lastly, I was at a Colm Wilkinson gig last night, and of course he ended the night with Bring Him Home. It put me in a Les Mis-sy mood, so I decided to try a bit of fan art. I was thinking of drawing the barricade but scrapped that and went for a metal plate with 24601 instead. It's supposed to be engraved but I'm not sure I managed to get that across.

Anywho that's that for today. If ye have any advice for fixing my pictures or tips on how to correct something that looks wrong, please please please lemme know. Or lie shamelessly and flatter outrageously, I don't mind
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe