• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Do Art?

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Not sure if compliment or insult :laugh:

hqdefault.jpg

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Visited a friend this evening, and we were chatting about how much ridiculousness is modern art. We reckon we could pass off anything as modern art, so long as it has an appropriately pompous side-plate descriptor. I provide the art, she provides the descriptions

P2sCcvFl.jpg

horsea.gif

Horsea - This piece is about the pull of the ocean and the depth and profundity that water entails. Except it's also inextricably linked to land and earth, due to its relation to horses. The two sides of human nature reflected in one creature, if you will.
Bubbles - air within water. Two elements that should not mix, and yet find themselves in close proximity. Representing the parts of our psyche that seem incompatible; but then, without water, could we have bubbles?
Put together with ballpoint pen and colouring pencils - modern tools, a break with the past...

Perhaps we need to get out more :laugh:

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
So Lesson 15 was all about contour lines. Started off by drawing two tubes

2YpcHbAl.jpg

Then demonstrating how the lines indicate the direction something's moving...

qAdKRujl.jpg

And then whatever the balls this is supposed to be:

lrcfbzYl.jpg

Then I got bored and instead of moving on to Lesson 16 like I should have, I drew more pokémon. So here's gastly, horsea and oddish, BFFs for lyf <3 <3 :laugh:

SvJJmv8l.jpg

Oddish.gif

gastly.jpg

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
And just because I've some unexpected free time this evening, here's some more :17425:

4qoNETYl.jpg

7qWXssTl.jpg

goat_1.jpg

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Visited a friend this evening, and we were chatting about how much ridiculousness is modern art. We reckon we could pass off anything as modern art, so long as it has an appropriately pompous side-plate descriptor. I provide the art, she provides the descriptions

Yup, I agree with this. There was this one painting that hung in my dance studio for the longest time. It was a giant blue square next to a giant yellow square. I didn't get it, but somehow the "artist" made money off of it because some crazy people decided to buy it.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Yup, I agree with this. There was this one painting that hung in my dance studio for the longest time. It was a giant blue square next to a giant yellow square. I didn't get it, but somehow the "artist" made money off of it because some crazy people decided to buy it.

28853982.jpg

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
So lesson 16 was just a wave. I'm not happy with how mine came out, might redo it in the morning. Bleh. Not very happy with the 30 Day book right now. The tone is annoying me, and I don't like his constant reference to compass directional lines that don't actually match up with a compass.

GDaa5RJl.jpg

Then I drew an ornate key for fun, because who doesn't like keys? :laugh:

aKRQ1Fhl.jpg

1279531004-706.jpg

I've noticed though that I can't tell my drawings are off until it's too late. I draw in the pencil, check it against the reference a scheisse-tonne of times, fix a few things, go over it in ink, erase the pencils, and only THEN see the glaring flaws (that circle is too big, that line is too long, that's too far to the left etc). It's so frustrating! Gah!

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I accept commissions, starting at a very reasonable €449.99 :yes:

I should set up an etsy shop, and sell prints and mugs and t-shirts and iPhone cases etc with my artwork. I'll make MILLIONS :yay:

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Alright, so lesson 16 was super curvy flags. The exercise was to draw a flag with a couple of bends in it, like so:

mDNmbdkl.jpg

I tried to bear in mind what I noticed watching videos of artists. They all draw really really slowly, and very gradually building up the shapes. I tried not to make bold shapes straight away but to go super slow and lightly at first, and then reinforce my lines once I knew where they should go.

The bonus was to draw an impossibly long flag. Challenge accepted. I decided to try a colour version for this. Again I went very slowly, took my time, and very gradually built up the colour. I also tried to colour in the direction of the fabric to make it somewhat more believable. I hope it worked.

eADKSQil.jpg

This took me almost an hour, but I'm reasonably pleased with the final result :)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Right, I was babysitting this morning and you all know what that means - catch up time!

Lesson 18 was to draw a scroll

SY4PniXl.jpg

Bonus was to draw... another scroll O__o

435qFuol.jpg

And then lesson 19 was to draw a pyramid, bonus was to draw more pyramids

gfoWAWal.jpg

I think this is the part of the book where he ran out of ideas :laugh:

Anyway if anyone has any ideas for some bonus stuff for me to draw later this evening when I'm free again, please let me know :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I like your bonus scroll and your tree-ribbon-thing a lot :)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Sorry for the lack of updates over the last few days! Between covering holiday leave in work and practising for my driving test next week, my life has turned into a subway->driving->subway infinite loop in 1080p. Somebody get me out of here!

So yesterday I caught up on Thursday's lesson 20, which was to draw a volcano and a coffee cup. The coffee cup he had us draw looks really stupid though (I'm a mug snob, sue me)

zAt4d78l.jpg

I decided to try drawing my own mug. Note to self: drawing shiny black objects is damned difficult

deIAXiIl.jpg

Then today I caught up on yesterday's lesson - TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

JSMTNzrl.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go over to this corner to collapse from exhaustion before going out to do yet more driving. Art over. Oeufa out

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Ended up going to a friend's house last night for beers and board games - we played Pictionary, Countdown and Apples to Apples. I drew a great many pictures. If I can wrangle any of them back from my friend I'll post a few up here. One of the girls requested a picture of a koala-goat, so ye can expect a picture of that soon enough I suppose. :laugh:

Anyway it was super quiet in work today so I got yesterday's lesson done - a crash course of 1 point perspective. It was actually pretty fun. I enjoyed it :D

2M1tGNDl.jpg

I'm back to normal hours in work this week, thank Cthulhu, so hopefully I should be all caught up by tomorrow evening!

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
aaaaaaaaand here's one of the pictures I ended up drawing on saturday night - one of the girls asked for a penguin going to the dentist. Enjoy:

1011134_10151682668623746_1582429295_n.jpg

I need to come up with a suitably derpy artist signature. Mine didn't come out quite as childlike as I'd hoped :tongue:

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Here's that goat-koala my friend requested. I'm really unhappy with it. I did the linework and that was reasonably ok, but the second I started colouring I realised I made a big mistake. I coloured the goat brown, but I'd put it on a tree which was also brown, in a leafy area which is a lot of green. The picture is way too boring looking. The parachuting psyduck was a later addition to fill in the enormous gap on the left hand side of the page. The tree also is unconvincing. Wish I'd done this entire picture differently

dAr610V.jpg

5379897850_8eff2e7561_z.jpg

Koala450j.jpg

1711868-marina_psyduck.png

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Finally, I have 2 days off work! Plenty of time to catch up on a few drawings and practise for my driving test on Thursday. Right? RIGHT?

Lesson 23 was to draw a street in 1 point perspective. Bonus was to decorate. I kinda got bored halfway through this.

Y1PsqFJl.jpg

Lesson 24 was to draw a tower thing in 2 point perspective, like so:

DbtwdEJl.jpg

and the bonus was to draw this pyramid-y type thing in 2 point perspective.

ujN55HZl.jpg

So we're drawing to the close of this 30 day drawing book. I'm not too sure if I'm going to keep drawing after I'm done. This is a fun little experiment but the sheer amount of work and dedication it will take to bring me to a level I'm somewhat satisfied by is probably too much. I'm a lazy degenerate deep in my core, really :tongue:

I might do more 30 day challenge type things though. That's right up my alley.