User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: How Do Art?

MBTI
    INTP

So lesson 4 is cubes! Wahay! The exercise begins with a couple of foreshortened squares, then building a cube, then building more cubes with adornment etc:

Next was to get a box in real life and draw it. I picked this crackerbread box:

And then started work with some basic lines

Added the lettering (yes I ran out of room so it reads crackers instead :pac:

Then finished up with the shading etc

Still pretty messy so far, and some of my lines are still not quite right. Oh well, it's a step in the right direction at least :P Today will be lesson 5. I'll post it some time this evening when I finish it.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

All that is necessary for art is to supend our disbelief then practise, practise, practise. And it takes 10,000 hours of practise to become a master. So draw every day. Take your notebook everywhere and draw everything.

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah Victor, I'm well familiar with the 10,000 hour rule. It's something of a misnomer though. A single hour of thoughtful, precise, purposeful practice will get you much further than 10 hours of messing around. Anyway, on to the next lesson!

Lesson 5 - moooooooooooooar cubes. Hollow cubes this time. On the left, the first exercise to draw a box with open flaps. In the book he speaks a lot about the direction on a compass all lines should follow when doing these things. I didn't really follow it though. Went a bit overhead.

The picture on the left is another exercise of making the box a chest. The lid doesn't seem right to me though. I don't think it's large enough to close.

Also my shadows seem too droopy. Sigh.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

WALMART

lol - the bassute, the deli paper, the apple speakers

This thread is the best on TypC. I'm glad to see you're off to a good start

MBTI
    INTP

Well lesson 6 was an odd one. Stacking tables. It starts off with some basic stacking of cubes

Then for the bonus, he wanted people to build large structures of cubes. Whatever you wanted. Here's an example of someone else's:

And here's my own monstrosity (don't ask):

I'm really not happy with any of my cubey shapes. I think I might go back to lesson 4. I seem to have missed something on the way, because all my lines look out of proportion. /sadface
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

You're already improving drastically. I was going to suggest getting a complete beginners book and just practice and practice. Don't just take and leave the principles from previous lessons--when you finish the book, go back and re-do the lessons, and compare the first round to the second. I'll bet you'll see a dramatic change. Also, don't go back and re-do a lesson just because it isn't perfect. It won't be. Ever. Better to keep going. You're more likely to identify WHY it looks off/wrong when you've challenged yourself on further exercises than repeating the exercise over and over again right away. If you wait until it's perfect, you'll never leave lesson 4.

I started out like you--unable to draw efficient stick figures. I just kept drawing and drawing bad things. Eventually those things got a bit better--or I should say, I got faster at drawing bad things. That evolved into me being confident enough to start drawing out of books--and I chose anime because I'm an anime nerd (casual now, more hardcore as a kid) and it grew from there. Art is like math--the more you practice, the better you get, even if you have no talent for it on your own.

If you want some bonus studying--look on fan art pages for the particular arts you like. Deviant art is a great place to get it. You specifically want BAD art, or art that isn't perfect even if you like it regardless. Looking at that, and identifying the flaws and what is wrong, it really does help shape the way you draw your own art. I realized I was making hands too small (out of fear of making them too big/long ironically enough), necks too long, faces too flat, etc.

Another bonus studying--pick out a web comic and look at the changes made to the comic from beginning to current. (Example: the art on Dominic Deegan is 'bad' in comparison to later on when it gets so much better, starts to add color and more detail, etc.)

Nothing beats drawing every day though. Practice is the only way to understand art.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    You're already improving drastically. I was going to suggest getting a complete beginners book and just practice and practice. Don't just take and leave the principles from previous lessons--when you finish the book, go back and re-do the lessons, and compare the first round to the second. I'll bet you'll see a dramatic change. Also, don't go back and re-do a lesson just because it isn't perfect. It won't be. Ever. Better to keep going. You're more likely to identify WHY it looks off/wrong when you've challenged yourself on further exercises than repeating the exercise over and over again right away. If you wait until it's perfect, you'll never leave lesson 4.
    Good point. I might just get another book after I'm done with this one - there's a few knocking around for kindle pretty cheap right now. I have one on cartooning upstairs somewhere too that I never used. Might just dust it off and give it a bash.

I started out like you--unable to draw efficient stick figures. I just kept drawing and drawing bad things. Eventually those things got a bit better--or I should say, I got faster at drawing bad things. That evolved into me being confident enough to start drawing out of books--and I chose anime because I'm an anime nerd (casual now, more hardcore as a kid) and it grew from there. Art is like math--the more you practice, the better you get, even if you have no talent for it on your own.

If you want some bonus studying--look on fan art pages for the particular arts you like. Deviant art is a great place to get it. You specifically want BAD art, or art that isn't perfect even if you like it regardless. Looking at that, and identifying the flaws and what is wrong, it really does help shape the way you draw your own art. I realized I was making hands too small (out of fear of making them too big/long ironically enough), necks too long, faces too flat, etc.

Another bonus studying--pick out a web comic and look at the changes made to the comic from beginning to current. (Example: the art on Dominic Deegan is 'bad' in comparison to later on when it gets so much better, starts to add color and more detail, etc.)

Nothing beats drawing every day though. Practice is the only way to understand art.
    I like this idea of fan art. I'm a sucker for watching drawing tutorials on youtube (Mark Crilley fans, anyone?). Maybe I should follow along with them sometime. One thing I'm daunted to try is the human body because there's just SO much of it. Though I can take it one limb at a time I suppose

Since I have a decent amount of free time right now, I might start doing one drawing a day that's not related to the exercises in the book. Even if they look terrible and bad. Could be fun
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

your resident asshole

Ooh I love how you are posting your drawings for all of the lessons.

Subscribed!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Good point. I might just get another book after I'm done with this one - there's a few knocking around for kindle pretty cheap right now. I have one on cartooning upstairs somewhere too that I never used. Might just dust it off and give it a bash.
    Yeah, this is the best part of learning French for me right now is the amount of awesome stuff I get to learn from. I have a couple really fun reading books.. and so far I can read French better than I can speak it or understand it.

I like this idea of fan art. I'm a sucker for watching drawing tutorials on youtube (Mark Crilley fans, anyone?). Maybe I should follow along with them sometime. One thing I'm daunted to try is the human body because there's just SO much of it. Though I can take it one limb at a time I suppose
    The human body is really scary. It's one of those things where even with a ton of practice you'll still make mistakes. it's just very intricate. Starting out with your favorite part is probably where it's at.. once I could draw the eyes I was hooked on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Ooh I love how you are posting your drawings for all of the lessons.

Subscribed!
    +1! <3 Post them for us plz
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, this is the best part of learning French for me right now is the amount of awesome stuff I get to learn from. I have a couple really fun reading books.. and so far I can read French better than I can speak it or understand it.
    Something I found super useful when learning Swedish was to have the English novel and Swedish side by side. I'd read a paragraph in English to get the jist, then read it in Swedish. That way you're not translating word for word (bad) but getting a general understanding of the language and how it flows. You'll pick it up quicker if you don't have that English interior monologue translating everything word for word

The human body is really scary. It's one of those things where even with a ton of practice you'll still make mistakes. it's just very intricate. Starting out with your favorite part is probably where it's at.. once I could draw the eyes I was hooked on the rest.

+1! <3 Post them for us plz
    Eyes. All of the eyes. Yeah maybe I'll start with something like that.

Depending on how much time I have today, I'll try to get a drawing of something else done as well as Lesson 7.

Will Oeufa ever learn to draw? Will her shadows stop looking flaccid? Will someone die from proximity to bad art? Find out next time - same Bat time, same Bat channel.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe