User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: How Do Art?

WALMART

Yes, they are lovely instruments. The lute, eh? Can you play its Stairway to Heaven equivalent, Greensleeves?

Yeah, neither do/did I, which is why I didn't include it at first. I intuitively want to say music is far more mechanical in its construction and implementation, but I guess art really can be, too. I suppose it depends on who's behind the pencil.

I don't think she's susceptible to being summoned as of late, but I know @Saturned took some art classes. I want to say she didn't find them very helpful from an informational point of view.

If I remember correctly, her teacher told her this: "If you want to be an artist, travel to Paris. Sketch a scene on a small piece of paper. Then sketch it on a larger piece of paper. Then paint it on a small canvas. Then paint it on a larger canvas. Then paint it on a large canvas."

So essentially, she paid to be told what I've already told you =/

I really enjoy learning from someone with greater skills than me.

Alternating between critique/skills demonstration from the skilled teacher and personal practice time (refinement, trial and error) seems to be a very solid way to build foundational skills.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP

Good point, gromit, well made
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    IsFJ

From secondhand experience, studying other styles, drawing from RL (even if the stuff looks bad at first) and just plain practicing are all good pieces of advice.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTP

So I was at a pub quiz last night, and being the naturally serious, taciturn person I am, created some art I should probably give up before I begin tbh

Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP

I dunno who'd be interested, but I got a book last Friday called You Can Draw in 30 Days. It features 30 progressively difficult exercises that are designed to teach you the basic principles of drawing. These are supposed to be applicable to anything you want to draw. It also cost next to nothing as a kindle download, so why not?

I was planning to keep these to myself but then I thought it might be fun to document them here and see what comes out of them. I've the first 3 "lessons" done so far. I could post them here for lols if anyone cares to see the journey from crappy to moderately less crappy.

Votes by pigeon-mail plz
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    IsFJ

Ah, one last tip: avoid Christopher Hart like the devil.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTP

Ok sure. What makes you say that?

I got a How to Draw book but it's by Mark Kistler. The principles it's teaching seem sound so far.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

WALMART

lol! Oh, I would love to see

Sweet Bassoon, btw.

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah the problem was I didn't know off-hand what a bassoon actually looks like, so I just drew a black pipe with flute keys on it It's a bassute!

TRIGGER WARNING! BAD ART AHEAD!
    If you've watched a loved one die of bad art, you may want to turn back now.

So for the introduction chapter, you're supposed to do this pretest type thing where you draw a house, a plane and a bagel. This is so when you look back after the 30 lessons you can say "Well at least I'm marginally less shit now." This is my sucking control, if you will.

Then lesson one is draw a sphere, a shadow, and shade it in. Bonus was to draw a piece of fruit (in my case, the apple from the photo in the book because I was too lazy to find a real one).

Lesson 2 was overlapping spheres. Drawing the closer one larger and the other one slightly smaller and higher up the page to make it seem further away. Bonus was to get two tennis balls, recreate the pose and then draw it. Except I was doing this in subway last night so I used the apple-shaped speakers we have

( Please excuse the crap photo - twas drawn on deli paper which has since been crumpled up in my bag :o )

So on to lesson 3. You had to draw rows of spheres extending out into the distance. Mine's pretty sloppy, and drawn on deli paper :/

And the bonus exercise. It's hard to understand what it is if you haven't read the book but it's supposed to be an arrangement of spheres in planetary space. The varying size of spheres is to demonstrate that overlapping is more important than positioning or placement in terms of defining an object's size in relation to another object.

Here's a picture I found online of someone else's version of this exercise so ye can see what it is. I don't wanna just copy the image straight from the book in case of copyright or whatever:

Stay tuned for Artless with Oeufa!
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe