User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

To get back to "What makes a good actor?", for me it's pretty simple: If I fully believe you are this person who you are pretending to be on screen -- even with me knowing you're not -- then you're acting successfully. And you're an even better actor if, as this person, I can see the world through your eyes and resonate with you and you can convey your emotions and thoughts to me so that I feel them and understand them.

There are qualifications to that. (For example, if I know you are playing REALLY against type for who you are and what you've done in the past, that increases my estimation. If I know you are just being yourself, then that's not as much "acting" per se. Or if you have a terrible script, it's harder for you to seem like a real person no matter how good you are.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Good acting is when you are able to convey the depth of emotion in characters using subtle gestures, facial expressions, etc.
    I really like cats and food.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If I know you are just being yourself, then that's not as much "acting" per se.
    I hear this repeated a lot, but I don't think it's true. If it were, everyone would be able to play themselves in a movie. I think it's much more about comfort in front of the camera, charisma, and body control. Some people will look terribly awkward on film even with a complete grasp of the character, and some will look great tossing off ad libs after barely reading the script.

Or if you have a terrible script, it's harder for you to seem like a real person no matter how good you are.)
    This, however, I agree with 100%.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Some may call me crazy for saying this, but I believe the best actors are actors that can play any personality type, and look like any variant stacking. There are very few actors can do this. For instance, let's take Al Pacino. This man can literally play an ESTP 8w7 sx/so in "Scarface", an ESTP 7w8 so/sp in "Glen Gary Glen Ross", an INTJ 6w5 sp/sx in "The Godfather", and an ENTJ 8w7 so/sp in "The Devil's Advocate" and really look like these various personalities and look like every variant stacking. Playing a different character is easy, but being able to look like each and every one of the different variant stackings is extremely difficult and only the best actors can pull this off.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I hear this repeated a lot, but I don't think it's true. If it were, everyone would be able to play themselves in a movie. I think it's much more about comfort in front of the camera, charisma, and body control. Some people will look terribly awkward on film even with a complete grasp of the character, and some will look great tossing off ad libs after barely reading the script.
    Yeesh. Obvious, if you're a charismatic person who knows how to interact to start with (Will Smith or Michael J Fox are easy toss-outs here), or you're someone who naturally thinks in terms of self-narrative/presentation, then you can come off better; but some people just aren't naturally charismatic and/or don't know how to engage others.

I didn't think I needed to clarify this to such a level of detail, I just was making a general comment.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ndovjtjcaqidthi

And not a single mention of Daniel Day-Lewis was seen that day..

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeesh. Obvious, if you're a charismatic person who knows how to interact to start with (Will Smith or Michael J Fox are easy toss-outs here), or you're someone who naturally thinks in terms of self-narrative/presentation, then you can come off better; but some people just aren't naturally charismatic and/or don't know how to engage others.

I didn't think I needed to clarify this to such a level of detail, I just was making a general comment.
    I was just responding to an assertion that playing a character close to one's own self didn't require as much acting. The bolded is exactly what I was saying, and indicates that it does require it. I'm not sure what you're yeesh-ing about.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    Good acting is when you are able to convey the depth of emotion in characters using subtle gestures, facial expressions, etc.
    Agreed. Vocal inflection would also be included in that, but last, since it's more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    And not a single mention of Daniel Day-Lewis was seen that day..
    For real. He's an AMAZING actor. My favorite.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It seems that our culture exalts personalities that are most capable of pretense. To be honest, I’m not sure what the ultimate artist value this has, if any.

MBTI
    INTP

I think my key criteria for good acting is how memorable the performance was. As in, just what bizarre subtleties and quirks was the actor able to incorporate that make the character seem like a real, unique person. This goes beyond convincing. Being convincing with your emotions and delivery is a hallmark of good, but not great, acting. To be great, the actor has to do things that no one else would have ever even thought off, they have to completely lose themselves and go a little bit insane as they become another person, with separate quirks, gestures, and behaviors. Just look at Johnny Depp when he takes "adrenochrome" in Fear and Loathing, and ask yourself where the hell he came up with those moves.

A lesser actor would have used the appropriate facial expressions and gestures to convey panic and insanity, and they perhaps would have been very accurate and convincing, but they can still be lacking that something extra... that entire world that Depp is able to create with his ridiculous sounds and gestures. Note: del Toro is equally great here.