• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you like reality tv and/or romantic comedies?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Shakespeare did a couple of nice romcoms, IMO. :shrug: Whedon's got a Much Ado adaptation coming out next month that I'm looking forward to seeing.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i enjoy both.
my fave reality is amazing race and survivor.

my fave reality duo is amy&sami
i really really really want them to have their own show.

and i've got like a nora ephron / meg ryan corner on the dvd shelf.

MBTI Type
INTJ
As someone I can't remember once said, "90% of everything is shit." But there are wildly varying degrees of quality in everything, and I wouldn't lump ALL reality TV and ALL romantic comedies together in a shitpile. Some of the best movies ever made are romantic comedies, and some of the most compelling television comes from reality shows. I like to watch things that are good, and I don't think quality is decided by genre.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think highly of the genres listed, but similar to what FMW says, there is still the possibility of some decent work coming from said genre. ("Easy A", "When Harry Met Sally," and "My Best Friend's Wedding" are examples of romantic comedies that actually have some depth/quality. It's just that most romantic comedies seem to cater to the basement of dreck.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't think highly of the genres listed, but similar to what FMW says, there is still the possibility of some decent work coming from said genre. ("Easy A", "When Harry Met Sally," and "My Best Friend's Wedding" are examples of romantic comedies that actually have some depth/quality. It's just that most romantic comedies seem to cater to the basement of dreck.)

Yeah I never said all, i meant in general

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind count as a romantic comedy?

Reality TV is also really diverse. Something like Survivorman could be included in the category in addition to stuff like Keeping Up with Kardashians, or Toddlers and Tiaras.

Regarding the trashy variety, I suspect a large portion of the target demographic includes people who like to watch it because they love to hate the people involved, or they compare it to watching a trainwreck. Most of the people I've talked to who has admitted to watching something like that has always given that kind of response.

I might dislike the fact that that people like that become celebrities, but I suspect this happens largely because people love to talk about how much they dislike them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind count as a romantic comedy?

For me, it's a romantic comedy cuz that's how I roll. ;)

But I think when people speak of the genre, they speak of something far more straightforward and emotionally accessible, without extensive time/space edit jumps, surreal imagery, and a resolution that is counter-intuitive.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah.

I'd say that I can like a movie about relationships, if that makes a movie a romantic comedy, but I want it to do more with them than just act as wish fulfillment for women, or, more rarely, men.

I also include Richard Linklater's Before [insert time of day here] trilogy (well, the third one hasn't come to Philly, but I expect if I liked the other two, I'll like that. ) in this list.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also include Richard Linklater's Before [insert time of day here] trilogy (well, the third one hasn't come to Philly, but I expect if I liked the other two, I'll like that. ) in this list.

I need to see that series. I've heard great things about it, and it's pretty remarkable to see the third part of a trilogy get as good or better reviews than the first part.

93JC

I like some romantic comedies. I don't care for the vast, vast majority of "reality TV". I've almost stopped watching TV entirely.

W

WALMART

I like the romance subplot of The Thin Red Line. Or that story the guy tells in Saving Private Ryan where a lady with huge boobs lets him look at them, so he could think about 'em when he was nervous in Europe :wub: How romantic.

Some surface level of me wants to say reality TV is the epitome of what the old folks warned us to stay away from, regarding television. But I watch cartoons. How much better are cartoons? The same surface level of me says much, much better. But I wonder.

MBTI Type
INTJ
But I think when people speak of the genre, they speak of something far more straightforward and emotionally accessible, without extensive time/space edit jumps, surreal imagery, and a resolution that is counter-intuitive.

I'll go a little further and say that a lot of people simply use the term "romantic comedy" as a pejorative. They don't think of quality films when they think of romantic comedies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll go a little further and say that a lot of people simply use the term "romantic comedy" as a pejorative. They don't think of quality films when they think of romantic comedies.

Why, you big piece of .... of romantic comedy!!!!

*hides*

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I need to see that series. I've heard great things about it, and it's pretty remarkable to see the third part of a trilogy get as good or better reviews than the first part.

Yes. Just a heads up though, if you don't think a movie about two people walking through various European cities and having interesting conversation can sustain your interest, I'd say it's probably not for you. From what I know about you so far, I think you'd be fine with it.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never considered it one, I love that movie :wubbie: I was thinking like maid in manhattan type which i can't stand

I learned recently that John Hughes actually wrote maid in manhattan but used a pseudonym. I haven't seen that movie in a while but I can think of a lot of romcoms way cornier. starring j.lo too.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I love love love love love Arsenic and Old Lace
You can't beat sweet, murderous, little old ladies.

I don't know if you've seen Grosse Pointe Blank, but it is full of violence and killing. If you don't hate 80s movies, you might like it.