User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Shakespeare did a couple of nice romcoms, IMO. Whedon's got a Much Ado adaptation coming out next month that I'm looking forward to seeing.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

i enjoy both.
    my fave reality is amazing race and survivor.

my fave reality duo is amy&sami
    i really really really want them to have their own show.

and i've got like a nora ephron / meg ryan corner on the dvd shelf.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

As someone I can't remember once said, "90% of everything is shit." But there are wildly varying degrees of quality in everything, and I wouldn't lump ALL reality TV and ALL romantic comedies together in a shitpile. Some of the best movies ever made are romantic comedies, and some of the most compelling television comes from reality shows. I like to watch things that are good, and I don't think quality is decided by genre.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't think highly of the genres listed, but similar to what FMW says, there is still the possibility of some decent work coming from said genre. ("Easy A", "When Harry Met Sally," and "My Best Friend's Wedding" are examples of romantic comedies that actually have some depth/quality. It's just that most romantic comedies seem to cater to the basement of dreck.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't think highly of the genres listed, but similar to what FMW says, there is still the possibility of some decent work coming from said genre. ("Easy A", "When Harry Met Sally," and "My Best Friend's Wedding" are examples of romantic comedies that actually have some depth/quality. It's just that most romantic comedies seem to cater to the basement of dreck.)
    Yeah I never said all, i meant in general
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Does Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind count as a romantic comedy?

Reality TV is also really diverse. Something like Survivorman could be included in the category in addition to stuff like Keeping Up with Kardashians, or Toddlers and Tiaras.

Regarding the trashy variety, I suspect a large portion of the target demographic includes people who like to watch it because they love to hate the people involved, or they compare it to watching a trainwreck. Most of the people I've talked to who has admitted to watching something like that has always given that kind of response.

I might dislike the fact that that people like that become celebrities, but I suspect this happens largely because people love to talk about how much they dislike them.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Does Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind count as a romantic comedy?
    For me, it's a romantic comedy cuz that's how I roll.

But I think when people speak of the genre, they speak of something far more straightforward and emotionally accessible, without extensive time/space edit jumps, surreal imagery, and a resolution that is counter-intuitive.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Ah.

I'd say that I can like a movie about relationships, if that makes a movie a romantic comedy, but I want it to do more with them than just act as wish fulfillment for women, or, more rarely, men.

I also include Richard Linklater's Before [insert time of day here] trilogy (well, the third one hasn't come to Philly, but I expect if I liked the other two, I'll like that. ) in this list.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I also include Richard Linklater's Before [insert time of day here] trilogy (well, the third one hasn't come to Philly, but I expect if I liked the other two, I'll like that. ) in this list.
    I need to see that series. I've heard great things about it, and it's pretty remarkable to see the third part of a trilogy get as good or better reviews than the first part.

I like some romantic comedies. I don't care for the vast, vast majority of "reality TV". I've almost stopped watching TV entirely.