• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hannibal

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Surprised there is no thread for this!

Anyway, I watched Entree last night (I'm a few episodes behind), and I was graced with not just one but TWO guest stars -- Eddie Izzard (srsly? Wow!) and .....drum roll... a woman who I didn't know would be in the episode but who I immediately recognized: my girl Anna Chlumsky. (See what I did there? :smile:)

Her face looks just like it did when she was twelve. She's just as beautiful as she has always been, and it's good to see her again on the screen. She had a real presence in front of the camera when young.

This show is just getting better and better, especially the more that I actively stop thinking about "silence of the lambs" and just accept the new spin on the characters. Which is the way it should be.

Although I have to say: Is the guy playing Chilton channeling the actor from that movie? it's kind of uncanny. They don't really look alike, but the vocal inflection and personality is SO much like the movie Chilton. Pretty cool.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And now Ellen Greene! What a delight!

And Gillian Anderson???

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone even watch that?

Thread fail? :smile:

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
at first i thought it would be some hokey network drama, but as soon as i found out its mad mikkelsen playing hannibal, i got right on it.

its my favorite new show of the year. im also surprised there wasn't a thread.

will graham - infj ?
hannibal lecter - intj ?
laurence fishburn - ?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
at first i thought it would be some hokey network drama, but as soon as i found out its mad mikkelsen playing hannibal, i got right on it.

its my favorite new show of the year. im also surprised there wasn't a thread.

will graham - infj ?
hannibal lecter - intj ?
laurence fishburn - ?

You should move typing characters into the Typing area of the forum, this thread is in Arts and Entertainment and not really meant to have typing arguments/discussions, it's more aimed at actual psychology if you care to do that.

It's definitely not hokey. it's more a matter of whether the explicit content and the darker edge of the characters can connect with a mainstream audience, versus a show like "The Following" AKA Serial Killer Hokum Lite.

I'm also loving that the show is set in Baltimore (which is where Lecter was waaaay back in Silence of the Lambs), since that's where I live.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
We've been watching Hannibal too and I'm really liking it. Firstly, I'm in love will Will. <3
Also yes, the guest stars are awesome!

EDIT: Also The Following was a major disappointment. So much potential (and The Bacon!) but somehow so bad.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We've been watching Hannibal too and I'm really liking it. Firstly, I'm in love will Will. <3

he's really good, honestly. I'm excited -- the character was kind of a flop in the movies, and this is the first time I've connected with him at all... he might even be more interesting than in the Red Dragon title.

EDIT: Also The Following was a major disappointment. So much potential (and The Bacon!) but somehow so bad.

Yeah.... I think Kevin Bacon is one of the reasons that series is still around, he's just so darn likeable even when he's not. And I don't feel like the show took itself so seriously and/or at least the pretension is kind of amusing; it's kind of the show that a bunch of high-schoolers with a video camera might record in their own back yard after assigning roles.

But its problems aren't really shared with Hannibal, which I consider to be of a higher-caliber effort and having some level of artistry not just in the writing but in the imagery and editing.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Does anyone even watch that?

Thread fail? :smile:

It has a devoted following and we really hope it will be picked up for another season. It's SO good. Really unlike anything else on the big 4 networks right now.

Gillian Anderson plays ice queen very well, don't you think [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh, you know who else I love? Scott Effing Thompson (of Kids in the Hall fame). He is so great and it looks like they might let him be a little sassy here. But not too sassy. It's neat to see him play reined-in when I'm used to seeing him as Buddy.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
But its problems aren't really shared with Hannibal, which I consider to be of a higher-caliber effort and having some level of artistry not just in the writing but in the imagery and editing.

Yeah, it is really beautifully shot-- the colors, the camera angles, and the sets are all really striking.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The food is amazing, too. Which in a way is really, really gross.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It has a devoted following and we really hope it will be picked up for another season. It's SO good. Really unlike anything else on the big 4 networks right now.

Yes. It would sad to lose that unique voice.

I was also a big advocate for Smash, which lost its way over time but also seemed to be unique in some ways. Alas.

Gillian Anderson plays ice queen very well, don't you think Jennifer?

Lol... why are you asking Jennifer, Queen of the Universe? Does she make me nervous that I might lose my throne? :smile:

She seems so much older and more mature here; I didn't realize we're the same age (by about a few months). What makes me laugh about Gillian is that I remember reading an interview with her years ago. She claims to be much more extroverted and bubbly in person, and she even had a punk/goth phase in her later teen years (piercings and colored hair, maybe even a mohawk...the works!), but here on these shows she ends up playing these smart, measured, restrained, internalized characters. I love that. :)

Oh, you know who else I love? Scott Effing Thompson (of Kids in the Hall fame). He is so great and it looks like they might let him be a little sassy here. But not too sassy. It's neat to see him play reined-in when I'm used to seeing him as Buddy.

ROFL!

Yes I have to give a call-out to our buddy Scott! Loved him ever since Kids in the Hall... before Foley and the crew made it big on US mainstream TV.

But wow, he's looking old too. :( What does that say about ME??

I keep expecting him to drama-queen out, but he holds it in.

Yeah, it is really beautifully shot-- the colors, the camera angles, and the sets are all really striking.

The food is amazing, too. Which in a way is really, really gross.

LOL! I know, right? I suspected from the start he was cooking up some interesting meals, and now I'm watching him pull out those hearts and kidneys. If only they knew!

"Poor Agent Miri Lass. She'll be part of us always."
(Or at least for the next 36 hours.)

PS. I'm guessing here, not really a spoiler....

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
You should move typing characters into the Typing area of the forum, this thread is in Arts and Entertainment and not really meant to have typing arguments/discussions, it's more aimed at actual psychology if you care to do that.

OH MY GOD WHO CARES. pretend i didn't then.

Lark

I like the Hannibal story and I think that this is a great adaptation of this.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting, I might give it a try someday.

Didn't even know that serie existed, but Jen sounded so excited that it would be awkward if no one had replied.

I'm such a good friend.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a big girl, I can handle it.

(Right after I eat your liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti.)

OH MY GOD WHO CARES. pretend i didn't then.

Too late -- everyone knows what a terrible thing you've done!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tried getting into this show but I can't. I like how Hannibal is portrayed, but the rest of the characters. Meh. It seems like a failed attempt at a 'the mentalist' kind of show.

The main characters 'empath' abilities aren't exactly far sought and aren't apparantly very accurate either as proven in the first few episodes that I watched. He likes to completely change his position halfway through an episode every time. I know that you need to do something to create suspense, unlike what the show mentalist does, where the explanation comes near the climax of the show. In Hannibal the explanation obviously needs to come at the beginning of the show. If it is accurate than yeah, you don't have much of a show. So to solve this problem they evolve the explanation during the episode. But this basicly harms the main characters so called 'unique' ability.

For me, this show is a failure.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Glad they renewed this for another season.

In some ways, this reminds me of Millenium, which only made about three seasons before just petering out due to loss of audience. Hannibal is better written, with better production values, and Millenium was really trying to forge its own path and got lost (that whole ending to Season 2, with Megan whassername's character being written off), but it was willing to look in detail at human darkness and didn't get squeamish about it. I mean, both shows involve a kind of detached isolated character able to see through the eyes of the killer, but Will Graham is even less conventional and more disorienting in his visions. Hannibal also has the through-line of, well, Hannibal and what he might be up to, whereas Millenium became a kind of "killer of the week" show.

I tried getting into this show but I can't. I like how Hannibal is portrayed, but the rest of the characters. Meh. It seems like a failed attempt at a 'the mentalist' kind of show.

The main characters 'empath' abilities aren't exactly far sought and aren't apparantly very accurate either as proven in the first few episodes that I watched. He likes to completely change his position halfway through an episode every time. I know that you need to do something to create suspense, unlike what the show mentalist does, where the explanation comes near the climax of the show. In Hannibal the explanation obviously needs to come at the beginning of the show. If it is accurate than yeah, you don't have much of a show. So to solve this problem they evolve the explanation during the episode. But this basicly harms the main characters so called 'unique' ability.

For me, this show is a failure.

I don't think the show is necessarily about "suspense." If that is your criteria, then perhaps that is why you consider it a failure. I consider it more a psychological exploration or identification with the characters, which seems appropriate for a show based on psychological exploration of the darkness in human psyche, and in that genre of show, I think it's kind of fascinating... and also kind of unique, since it looks different than many other shows out there right now.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
As a strong pro for the show would be the fact that it tries to make you empathise with Hannibal by showing you that he sees a therapist and giving you an understanding of his thoughts, otoh they could be a bit subtle about it and not so obvious. I personally watch it to see how far they'll take the whole "empathy" thing of Will and the murder count of the other. It s great they'll have another season.