User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Hannibal

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The food is amazing, too. Which in a way is really, really gross.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It has a devoted following and we really hope it will be picked up for another season. It's SO good. Really unlike anything else on the big 4 networks right now.
    Yes. It would sad to lose that unique voice.

I was also a big advocate for Smash, which lost its way over time but also seemed to be unique in some ways. Alas.

Gillian Anderson plays ice queen very well, don't you think Jennifer?
    Lol... why are you asking Jennifer, Queen of the Universe? Does she make me nervous that I might lose my throne?

She seems so much older and more mature here; I didn't realize we're the same age (by about a few months). What makes me laugh about Gillian is that I remember reading an interview with her years ago. She claims to be much more extroverted and bubbly in person, and she even had a punk/goth phase in her later teen years (piercings and colored hair, maybe even a mohawk...the works!), but here on these shows she ends up playing these smart, measured, restrained, internalized characters. I love that.

Oh, you know who else I love? Scott Effing Thompson (of Kids in the Hall fame). He is so great and it looks like they might let him be a little sassy here. But not too sassy. It's neat to see him play reined-in when I'm used to seeing him as Buddy.
    ROFL!

Yes I have to give a call-out to our buddy Scott! Loved him ever since Kids in the Hall... before Foley and the crew made it big on US mainstream TV.

But wow, he's looking old too. What does that say about ME??

I keep expecting him to drama-queen out, but he holds it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Yeah, it is really beautifully shot-- the colors, the camera angles, and the sets are all really striking.
    The food is amazing, too. Which in a way is really, really gross.
    LOL! I know, right? I suspected from the start he was cooking up some interesting meals, and now I'm watching him pull out those hearts and kidneys. If only they knew!

"Poor Agent Miri Lass. She'll be part of us always."
    (Or at least for the next 36 hours.)

PS. I'm guessing here, not really a spoiler....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You should move typing characters into the Typing area of the forum, this thread is in Arts and Entertainment and not really meant to have typing arguments/discussions, it's more aimed at actual psychology if you care to do that.
    OH MY GOD WHO CARES. pretend i didn't then.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I like the Hannibal story and I think that this is a great adaptation of this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It has a devoted following and we really hope it will be picked up for another season. It's SO good. Really unlike anything else on the big 4 networks right now.
    Interesting, I might give it a try someday.

Didn't even know that serie existed, but Jen sounded so excited that it would be awkward if no one had replied.

I'm such a good friend.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm a big girl, I can handle it.

(Right after I eat your liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti.)

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    OH MY GOD WHO CARES. pretend i didn't then.
    Too late -- everyone knows what a terrible thing you've done!

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Too late -- everyone knows what a terrible thing you've done!
    i know. i done goofed. can't un-internet it now.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I tried getting into this show but I can't. I like how Hannibal is portrayed, but the rest of the characters. Meh. It seems like a failed attempt at a 'the mentalist' kind of show.

The main characters 'empath' abilities aren't exactly far sought and aren't apparantly very accurate either as proven in the first few episodes that I watched. He likes to completely change his position halfway through an episode every time. I know that you need to do something to create suspense, unlike what the show mentalist does, where the explanation comes near the climax of the show. In Hannibal the explanation obviously needs to come at the beginning of the show. If it is accurate than yeah, you don't have much of a show. So to solve this problem they evolve the explanation during the episode. But this basicly harms the main characters so called 'unique' ability.

For me, this show is a failure.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Glad they renewed this for another season.

In some ways, this reminds me of Millenium, which only made about three seasons before just petering out due to loss of audience. Hannibal is better written, with better production values, and Millenium was really trying to forge its own path and got lost (that whole ending to Season 2, with Megan whassername's character being written off), but it was willing to look in detail at human darkness and didn't get squeamish about it. I mean, both shows involve a kind of detached isolated character able to see through the eyes of the killer, but Will Graham is even less conventional and more disorienting in his visions. Hannibal also has the through-line of, well, Hannibal and what he might be up to, whereas Millenium became a kind of "killer of the week" show.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I tried getting into this show but I can't. I like how Hannibal is portrayed, but the rest of the characters. Meh. It seems like a failed attempt at a 'the mentalist' kind of show.

The main characters 'empath' abilities aren't exactly far sought and aren't apparantly very accurate either as proven in the first few episodes that I watched. He likes to completely change his position halfway through an episode every time. I know that you need to do something to create suspense, unlike what the show mentalist does, where the explanation comes near the climax of the show. In Hannibal the explanation obviously needs to come at the beginning of the show. If it is accurate than yeah, you don't have much of a show. So to solve this problem they evolve the explanation during the episode. But this basicly harms the main characters so called 'unique' ability.

For me, this show is a failure.
    I don't think the show is necessarily about "suspense." If that is your criteria, then perhaps that is why you consider it a failure. I consider it more a psychological exploration or identification with the characters, which seems appropriate for a show based on psychological exploration of the darkness in human psyche, and in that genre of show, I think it's kind of fascinating... and also kind of unique, since it looks different than many other shows out there right now.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

As a strong pro for the show would be the fact that it tries to make you empathise with Hannibal by showing you that he sees a therapist and giving you an understanding of his thoughts, otoh they could be a bit subtle about it and not so obvious. I personally watch it to see how far they'll take the whole "empathy" thing of Will and the murder count of the other. It s great they'll have another season.