User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 147

  1. #71
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    I really don't think anyone can read this thread and come away from it with any doubts as to how you feel @Mal+. Your views are shared by tons of people obviously too. People are just attached to it or not attached to it (Star Trek) in different ways and for different reasons.

    In my opinion, these recent two movies are practically standalone and really aren't very connected to the original. Therefore, they leave room for a lot of reasons to like and dislike them based solely on their own qualities.
    Oh I see, so I'm attached to the reboot. And THAT explains my views on this movie.

    And nobody else on this thread has attachments, they are perfectly objective about everything.

    You know what? I far, far prefer the old Khan, and the original Trek in general, over this new stuff. I understand completely that the reboot is supposed to be a money-maker based off of a successful franchise.

    However, if this were a ripoff or plagiarism of the old Space Seed/Wrath, it would have had the same plot. It simply does not. And it doesn't take any great objectivity to see that it does not.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #72
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Oh I see, so I'm attached to the reboot. And THAT explains my views on this movie.

    And nobody else on this thread has attachments, they are perfectly objective about everything.

    You know what? I far, far prefer the old Khan, and the original Trek in general, over this new stuff. I understand completely that the reboot is supposed to be a money-maker based off of a successful franchise.

    However, if this were a ripoff or plagiarism of the old Space Seed/Wrath, it would have had the same plot. It simply does not. And it doesn't take any great objectivity to see that it does not.
    Huh? I didn't say any of that. Nevermind, I'm out. Argue with yourself.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

  3. #73
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Huh? I didn't say any of that. Nevermind, I'm out. Argue with yourself.
    I didn't say you did. But the accusation made by others that it was plagiarized is very serious and needs to be addressed, whether you said it or not.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #74
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    You DID say, "People are just attached to it or not..." STID was a fine piece of entertainment. It was not, however, a great movie. It was a good movie, and much attention was paid to the details. Abrams knows what he's doing. But I won't be buying the dvd.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #75
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Nice article about the director and this movie. “Star Trek Into Darkness”: Who made J.J. Abrams the sci-fi god?

    A couple excerpts:

    "Abrams’ infamous comments that he was never much of a “Star Trek” fan – “It always felt too philosophical to me,” he recently told Jon Stewart..."

    "Next up, Abrams plans remakes of “Jaws” and “The Godfather” and “Midnight Cowboy” and “The Exorcist,”..."
    There's been a number of articles about Abrams, but it all seems too much like gossip to me, and soundbites. For "not caring about Trek" he actually did a pretty remarkable job on the 2009 release. I was kind of annoyed reading some article of gossip masquerading as real news in the Yahoo feed this week, where the writer is really an opinion writer and not an interviewer, explaining why Abrams really hates Star Trek. (That's actually something I hate about the Internet media today... and it's filtered into the paper new mags that actually used to be about 'news' -- it's all opinion columnists masquerading as journalists. Ick.)


    I didn't really identify with some of the stuff being said in the quoted article.... although I do agree that Peter Weller looked as leathery as a gator stuck in hot Florida sun after his marsh got sucked away by rogue land developers to build another Disney attraction.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #76
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    There's been a number of articles about Abrams, but it all seems too much like gossip to me, and soundbites. For "not caring about Trek" he actually did a pretty remarkable job on the 2009 release. I was kind of annoyed reading some article of gossip masquerading as real news in the Yahoo feed this week, where the writer is really an opinion writer and not an interviewer, explaining why Abrams really hates Star Trek. (That's actually something I hate about the Internet media today... and it's filtered into the paper new mags that actually used to be about 'news' -- it's all opinion columnists masquerading as journalists. Ick.)


    I didn't really identify with some of the stuff being said in the quoted article.... although I do agree that Peter Weller looked as leathery as a gator stuck in hot Florida sun after his marsh got sucked away by rogue land developers to build another Disney attraction.
    Mmhmm. I agree. Some things I agreed with and some I didn't. It still had a lot of information in it that was useful though for one side or the other. When all is said and done, the movie I really want to see is the parody starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy et. al.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

  7. #77
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    There's been a number of articles about Abrams, but it all seems too much like gossip to me, and soundbites. For "not caring about Trek" he actually did a pretty remarkable job on the 2009 release. I was kind of annoyed reading some article of gossip masquerading as real news in the Yahoo feed this week, where the writer is really an opinion writer and not an interviewer, explaining why Abrams really hates Star Trek. (That's actually something I hate about the Internet media today... and it's filtered into the paper new mags that actually used to be about 'news' -- it's all opinion columnists masquerading as journalists. Ick.)


    I didn't really identify with some of the stuff being said in the quoted article.... although I do agree that Peter Weller looked as leathery as a gator stuck in hot Florida sun after his marsh got sucked away by rogue land developers to build another Disney attraction.
    I don't think Abrams is a bad director, actually. I think he's the closest we're going to get to having another pre-Jurassic Park Steven Spielberg (Abrams cowrote Armageddon, as well). I'm sorry, but Spielberg has not made a memorable science fiction adventure movie since Jurassic Park. And though I did like A.I. and Minority Report (hated War of the Worlds), neither had the same childlike sense of wonder his movies of the '80s and early '90s did. Super 8 did a really good job at recapturing what Spielberg was known for in the early part of his career. I think Schindler's List opened a Pandora's box for Spielberg, pushing him in favor of the art house critics rather than the general audience. After Schindler's List (and the ensuing Oscar win), most his movies became noticeably more cynical and even PC.

    Back to the Star Trek prequels (I consider them prequels, because they're no doubt connected to the other 10 movies (or rather the 6 with the original crew)). Unfortunately, they didn't have the best scripts, but they had good direction, and the performances were wonderful (especially Karl Urban's Bones in STID -- I actually believed he was DeForest Kelley). Even STID was well-directed, mostly the story pissed me off.

    And thinking about it, I don't think Nicholas Meyer was a big Trek fan when he directed 2 and 6. I think he might've said so on an audio commentary. I'll have to check later when I feel like it.

    And I'd still like to see more Treks that are like Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, where they actually do explore new worlds and not just fight off genocidal baddies. Just hire an editor this time.

  8. #78
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    I don't think Abrams is a bad director, actually. I think he's the closest we're going to get to having another pre-Jurassic Park Steven Spielberg (Abrams cowrote Armageddon, as well). I'm sorry, but Spielberg has not made a memorable science fiction adventure movie since Jurassic Park. And though I did like A.I. and Minority Report (hated War of the Worlds), neither had the same childlike sense of wonder his movies of the '80s and early '90s did. Super 8 did a really good job at recapturing what Spielberg was known for in the early part of his career. I think Schindler's List opened a Pandora's box for Spielberg, pushing him in favor of the art house critics rather than the general audience. After Schindler's List (and the ensuing Oscar win), most his movies became noticeably more cynical and even PC.

    Back to the Star Trek prequels (I consider them prequels, because they're no doubt connected to the other 10 movies (or rather the 6 with the original crew)). Unfortunately, they didn't have the best scripts, but they had good direction, and the performances were wonderful (especially Karl Urban's Bones in STID -- I actually believed he was DeForest Kelley). Even STID was well-directed.

    And thinking about it, I don't think Nicholas Meyer was a big Trek fan when he directed 2 and 6. I think he might've said so on an audio commentary. I'll have to check later when I feel like it.

    And I'd still like to see more Treks that are like Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, where they actually do explore new worlds and not just fight off genocidal baddies. Just hire an editor this time.
    Motionless, yes, and no. I recall a scene containing jiggling boobies in that one. And I was at just the right age to get some real enjoyment out of it.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #79
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Motionless? REALLY! Scroll to 2:37 of this video if you want to see some motion.

    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #80
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This douche thinks there is a continuity error between Space Seed and STID.

    A continuity error over 40 years time? Real time? And different shows?

    Geesh, the effort some people will go to.

    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Type the Star Trek Characters
    By Dark Razor in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
  2. Star Trek: Into Darkness
    By Totenkindly in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 12:36 AM
  3. Star Trek
    By Oberon in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-30-2012, 06:27 PM
  4. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
    By IXTJ in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
  5. [NT] Star Trek
    By tinkerbell in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO