First 56789 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    Thankfully, this movie is not raking in the box office receipts that Paramount was hoping. Hopefully it will be a lesson for the studio not to assume the audience is not going to get all the Star Trek II/"Space Seed" references. Though it would be nice to get Nicholas Meyer to do a Trek film again. It would also be nice to have Klingons be major adversaries for the next Trek. Of course, that also makes it a little too easy to remake Star Trek III.

Another problem I had with the movie was that I felt sorry for the CG character animators. They were given next to nothing to do aside from a couple of creatures during the opening scene that are barely given a second of screen time.

I will, however, admit that the post stereoscopic conversion for this movie was excellent. And the vfx were very pretty. And the new warp effect is awesome.
    Why is everybody missing the point here? THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO GET THE REFERENCES TO A PREVIOUS TREK MOVIE! And even if they don't, it wouldn't affect the movie. Do you really think Abrams is that stupid? Is the internet just a place to randomly trash great movie directors for vague, petty reasons?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Nice article about the director and this movie. “Star Trek Into Darkness”: Who made J.J. Abrams the sci-fi god?

A couple excerpts:

"Abrams’ infamous comments that he was never much of a “Star Trek” fan – “It always felt too philosophical to me,” he recently told Jon Stewart..."

"Next up, Abrams plans remakes of “Jaws” and “The Godfather” and “Midnight Cowboy” and “The Exorcist,”..."
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Nice article about the director and this movie. “Star Trek Into Darkness”: Who made J.J. Abrams the sci-fi god?

A couple excerpts:

"Abrams’ infamous comments that he was never much of a “Star Trek” fan – “It always felt too philosophical to me,” he recently told Jon Stewart..."

"Next up, Abrams plans remakes of “Jaws” and “The Godfather” and “Midnight Cowboy” and “The Exorcist,”..."
    Thank you for an interesting comment and article.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Thank you for an interesting comment and article.
    Very welcome.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post

A couple excerpts:

Yeah, you sorta get the feeling of that in STID, particularly in the last half hour, where you get the impression that the writers saw Trek 2 and decided to rip off of it, while JJ's direction of those scenes are oblivious of that fact...like he never watched Star Trek in his life. I suppose it was for the better...so that it didn't seem like they were copying it TOO much, but ultimately, they didn't do a very good job. Though I could imagine a 15-year-old teenage girl (one who has never seen anything Star Trek related before 2009) getting choked up over this movie's version of the scenes.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah, you sorta get the feeling of that in STID, particularly in the last half hour, where you get the impression that the writers saw Trek 2 and decided to rip off of it, while JJ's direction of those scenes are oblivious of that fact...like he never watched Star Trek in his life. I suppose it was for the better...so that it didn't seem like they were copying it TOO much, but ultimately, they didn't do a very good job. Though I could imagine a 15-year-old teenage girl (one who has never seen anything Star Trek related before 2009) getting choked up over this movie's version of the scenes.
    Why a girl? MISOGYNIST ALERT!!

Actually, I'm more offended that they didn't give it to a director who had at least a keen love of the original show. I don't know. Just doesn't seem right. But, that's probably because I had a keen love of the original show.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

MBTI
    ENTP

I added more, so you'd know where I was coming from.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Allow me to take a leaf from @Jennifer's method of responding to my statements:

Please don't insinuate that I get the impression that the writers of STID decided to ripoff Wrath. When Ü™ use the word "you" it insinuates that everybody who has seen the movie got the impression that it was a direct ripoff. But that's obviously not the case with yours truly, although the parallels are obvious. Some of us are apparently able to see beyond the superficial level.

MBTI
    ENTP

I really don't think anyone can read this thread and come away from it with any doubts as to how you feel @Mal+. Your views are shared by tons of people obviously too. People are just attached to it or not attached to it (Star Trek) in different ways and for different reasons.

In my opinion, these recent two movies are practically standalone and really aren't very connected to the original. Therefore, they leave room for a lot of reasons to like and dislike them based solely on their own qualities.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery