User Tag List

First 345

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by anti-villain View Post
    I liked them actually. I think it's because I haven't seen the movies in ages, so even though I still remember the scenes where these pieces played, I can dissociate the score from the movie a bit easier.
    It is a very heavy and present score. Perhaps its relentlessness bothered you while watching the films.

Do you typically enjoy fantasy scores?
    No, I don't really have preference for particular genres. I like emotive and/or melodic scores, regardless of what sort of film they come from. I think epic stories are easier to compose to, and therefore are more easily emotionally affective. It's harder to deeply move an audience with a score to something more intimate and private in scale - that said, when it's done well, it's incredible.

Why, do you like certain genres, yourself?

Hopefully I don't end up liking the LOTR scores TOO much. I'm a sucker for expanded editions, and those things are expensive! Gah. Thanks a lot!
    I know. I'm kind pissed off that my editions are missing some of my favourite pieces.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I was just reminded of how much I specifically love horror movie scores.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I'm curious if anyone else here enjoys listening to film scores. I don't mean soundtracks, but actual scores, written by a composer for the film, and played by a symphony. With this unique, and diverse crowd, there has to be SOMEONE else who likes this music.

I have a real hard time getting much sustained enjoyment out of rock/pop/etc after having listened to film scores for so long. I want to gush about the genre, and go on about what I love about it, but maybe I'll wait to see if anyone even responds to this thread. Self preservation and all that.
    There was an XM station I stumbled across with this music a couple of years ago on a long drive. I was really enjoying it. I haven't been able to find it since however.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    It is a very heavy and present score. Perhaps its relentlessness bothered you while watching the films.

No, I don't really have preference for particular genres. I like emotive and/or melodic scores, regardless of what sort of film they come from. I think epic stories are easier to compose to, and therefore are more easily emotionally affective. It's harder to deeply move an audience with a score to something more intimate and private in scale - that said, when it's done well, it's incredible.

Why, do you like certain genres, yourself?

I know. I'm kind pissed off that my editions are missing some of my favourite pieces.

Nah. It wasn't the scores that bothered me, but the movies themselves, after a while. Conan is a very heavy and present score as well, and it's one of my all time favourites.

Looking at my iTunes library right now, I do have a lot of fantasy scores, but I have a lot of music from other genres as well. 93JC was saying that he liked sci-fi scores because the composers have a lot of freedom not being constrained my any particular style, and I feel the same way about fantasy scores too. I think score for The Dark Crystal mirrors the incredibly exotic nature of the universe that the movie takes place in very well. It's so exotic that it's almost unsettling. Conan is the same in that it's not really rooted in any particular style. It's one of a kind.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If you want some real classics, see Prokofiev's scores for the old Eisenstein films.

From Alexander Nevsky:

From Ivan the Terrible (music starts ~0:45):

One of my more recent favorites:
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    How about this one? Probably the scariest piece of movie music in my opinion. I really like the movie too.

Looking at my iTunes library right now, I do have a lot of fantasy scores, but I have a lot of music from other genres as well. 93JC was saying that he liked sci-fi scores because the composers have a lot of freedom not being constrained my any particular style, and I feel the same way about fantasy scores too. I think score for The Dark Crystal mirrors the incredibly exotic nature of the universe that the movie takes place in very well.

The Dark Crystal's theme is very beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Since others were speaking about synth scores, one of my favourites:

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If you want some real classics, see Prokofiev's scores for the old Eisenstein films.
    I don't know about Prokofiev's work with Eisenstein but Meisel's score for Battleship Potemkin is amazing. I saw it once in a theatre with a live symphony orchestra and it was one of the most incredible viewing experiences I've ever had.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

How about this one? Probably the scariest piece of movie music in my opinion. I really like the movie too.

It's great.

Halloween, Exorcist, all of those, I remember playing horror film scores one night on Halloween to scare children instead of the idiotic "haunted house" noises.

I found this a couple of years ago, it's kind of cool:

Tubular Bells and the use of O Fortuna in The Omen were absolutely epic.