User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 49

  1. #21
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    @anti-villain I really liked The Last Airbender and King Kong tracks.

    Here's a few more great ones if anyone's interested:




    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    ahh.. I could post a list of 100 best film scores I like
    I know what you mean. Picking a few pieces to post is not easy. I'm horrible at choosing favourites.

  3. #23
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    I dunno what you guys think, but Alan Silvestri can make the dullest action scenes exciting. Look at the action scenes in Back to the Future, for example, if you take the intensity of the score away, those scenes wouldn't even be considered action scenes. Not slamming one of my favorite movies of all time, of course, just emphasizing how important the score is to that movie.

    I've also taken a liking for Steve Jablonsky (I believe a Hans Zimmer protege). His work with Michael Bay is astounding -- listen to The Island and Transformers soundtracks.

    Speaking of Zimmer, the only two scores I really liked by him were Sherlock Holmes and Inception. Actually, though, the best Inception track was the trailer music, which wasn't even done by Zimmer.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Ok I figured out how the multi-quote function works now. Very cool.


    Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Yes. Goldsmith, Williams, Poledouris and Herrmann are Gods in this arena.
    Modern compositions? Crap. Don't make 'em like they used to.
    Yeah... The score used to help tell the story, it was it's own dialogue (leitmotifs, etc...), a subtext. Now, a lot of movie music is just bland, generic background music, which could be cut and pasted behind any number of films with little loss of effect. It just folds as a standalone piece of music. Great film score composers seem to be few and far between these days, IMO. They're out there, we just aren't tripping over them like back in the late 70's and 80's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    @anti-villain I really liked The Last Airbender and King Kong tracks.

    Here's a few more great ones if anyone's interested:
    I finally had a chance to give all of your clips a proper listen. I liked the Pride and Prejudice pieces, Hunger Games (shocking eh?), and The Two Towers actually surprised me. Maybe it's because I've been watching The Hobbit a lot lately... but I feel like I might need to give the LOTR scores another chance.

    I really liked the Philip Glass piece. It has a whimsical, and haunting quality that I love in this kind of music. Thanks for posting it.
    Last edited by anti-villain; 05-24-2013 at 11:38 AM.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anti-villain View Post

    Yeah... The score used to help tell the story, it was it's own dialogue (leitmotifs, etc...), a subtext. Now, a lot of movie music is just bland, generic background music, which could be cut and pasted behind any number of films with little loss of effect. It just folds as a standalone piece of music. Great film score composers seem to be few and far between these days, IMO. They're out there, we just aren't tripping over them like back in the late 70's and 80's.
    A prime example of this is the upcoming Man of Steel. I listened to snippets from Zimmer's soundtrack.
    Nowhere near the level of Williams circa 1978; wasn't expecting it to be, really.

    But this was embarrassingly bad. No triumph, no heroism, no soul, no identity. Just minimalist droning.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anti-villain View Post

    Yeah... The score used to help tell the story, it was it's own dialogue (leitmotifs, etc...), a subtext. Now, a lot of movie music is just bland, generic background music, which could be cut and pasted behind any number of films with little loss of effect. It just folds as a standalone piece of music. Great film score composers seem to be few and far between these days, IMO. They're out there, we just aren't tripping over them like back in the late 70's and 80's.
    A prime example of this is the upcoming Man of Steel. I listened to snippets from Zimmer's soundtrack.
    Nowhere near the level of Williams circa 1978; wasn't expecting it to be, really.

    But this was embarrassingly bad. No triumph, no heroism, no soul, no identity. Just minimalist droning.

  7. #27
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Snippets?

    I guess I'll wait for the movie and see. I don't recall any music from the trailers, ironically, but I actually find myself kind of choked up during them and when he takes off and flies, I get chills.

    I would hope that this means the movie will be as good as the trailer, but I'm still gun-shy after last year's Prometheus debacle...

    And it's Zack Snyder, with help from Nolan and Goyer on story. It could go in either direction.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    I dunno what you guys think, but Alan Silvestri can make the dullest action scenes exciting. Look at the action scenes in Back to the Future, for example, if you take the intensity of the score away, those scenes wouldn't even be considered action scenes. Not slamming one of my favorite movies of all time, of course, just emphasizing how important the score is to that movie.

    I've also taken a liking for Steve Jablonsky (I believe a Hans Zimmer protege). His work with Michael Bay is astounding -- listen to The Island and Transformers soundtracks.

    Speaking of Zimmer, the only two scores I really liked by him were Sherlock Holmes and Inception. Actually, though, the best Inception track was the trailer music, which wasn't even done by Zimmer.
    I agree... Predator, Back To The Future, and The Mummy Returns are all awesome action scores by Silvestri. My First Bus Ride from The Mummy Returns is intense, it just doesn't let up.

    I own Inception, it was a bit of an impulse buy. I was ordering a few other CDs, the movie was still fresh in my mind, and it was cheap. I've barely listened to it though.


    One other composer that no one has mentioned yet is Danny Elfman. I never got into much of his music, but his work with Tim Burton is really popular.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Snippets?

    I guess I'll wait for the movie and see. I don't recall any music from the trailers, ironically, but I actually find myself kind of choked up during them and when he takes off and flies, I get chills.

    I would hope that this means the movie will be as good as the trailer, but I'm still gun-shy after last year's Prometheus debacle...

    And it's Zack Snyder, with help from Nolan and Goyer on story. It could go in either direction.
    60 seconds for each track, yes. It's on YouTube somewhere (too lazy to look it up).

    I don't know--still kind of skeptical on MoS.
    The original Superman is one of my all-time favorites.

    I will remain optimistic, either way.

    Analysts have said that this and Pacific Rim are the movies to beat this summer.

    P.S.: Prometheus still sucks.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    A prime example of this is the upcoming Man of Steel. I listened to snippets from Zimmer's soundtrack.
    Nowhere near the level of Williams circa 1978; wasn't expecting it to be, really.

    But this was embarrassingly bad. No triumph, no heroism, no soul, no identity. Just minimalist droning.
    I just listened to it, and I feel the same way. Sounds just like most of his other stuff to me. Not only the style, but it has that same processed, sterile sound to it.

Similar Threads

  1. [Other] does anyone else like to say weird or random things
    By whimsical in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 11:14 PM
  2. [NF] Does anyone here have trouble remembering names?
    By Cloudblue in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM
  3. Does anyone know how to make soap?
    By paperoceans in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 05:42 AM
  4. [NF] Does anyone else forget to breathe?
    By Silent Stars in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 10:37 PM
  5. So... Does anyone here keep alpacas?
    By WobblyStilettos in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO