User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I like a good film score. I only own the 3 Lord of the Rings scores and Pride and Prejudice on CD but I've collected a few individual themes over the years.

Here's few I enjoy:

Also why hasn't anyone mentioned Dario Marianelli or Alexandre Desplat yet?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

And this:

INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I'm not really a fan of James Newton Howard but that's more a reflection of the films he has worked on than his ability and the merit of his work. I think the only thing he's ever done that stands out for me is The Fugitive. A lot of what he has done is action movies and frankly action scores tend to be pretty forgettable as a function of how they're cut. That goes back to what I said earlier about sci-fi (and fantasy) composers having the free reign to create something unique.

I like some of Basil Poledouris's work but I'm not familiar with much (read: any ) of it beyond Conan The Barbarian, RoboCop and The Hunt for Red October (I love the title theme from that one, "Hymn to Red October"; I have a CD of "The Great Fantasy Adventure Album" arranged by Erich Kunzel & performed by the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra that has a great rendition with the Red Army Choir).
    I'm actually not into any of JNH's action pieces at all. I really like all of his collaborations with M. Night Shyamalan though. Lady In The Water, Signs, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense, The Village, The Happening, The Last Airbender. They're some of my favourite scores. I liked his score for King Kong as well. The emotion in his work is just unreal, to me. So of course, it floors me when someone says they aren't a fan of at least some of his scores.

Conan The Barbarian is phenomenal (check out the Prometheus re-recording too). It was the first score I ever bought several years ago. Definitely my most listened to, but I never get sick of it. One of the greatest fantasy scores ever written IMO. The movie also happens to be one of my favourites, being a child of the 80's. I agree about The Hunt For Red October. Some other Poledouris scores that are worth checking out are Quigley Down Under, Starship Troopers, and Farewell To The King.

I've tried listening to Goldsmith's Star Trek stuff, but it just didn't click at the time. I'll probably give it another go at some point though. There's just something about Star Trek in general (aside from the new movies)... I always found it to be bland. It never drew me in. <shrugs>

Here are just a few of my favourite JNH pieces. I defy any film score junkie to listen to these and not become a fan :

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about Howard Shore. Lord of the Rings didn't do much for me, honestly;

I agree. The LOTR scores received SO much acclaim, but they did absolutely nothing for me either. No connection at all.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Also why hasn't anyone mentioned Dario Marianelli or Alexandre Desplat yet?
    I really liked Desplat's Harry Potter scores. I think it's just that he's still kind of a newcomer, so his body of work is a bit more limited than the others.

MBTI
    INFJ

JNH favourites continued:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I find most film and television music to be excessively literal. At a tense moment, a rhythm like a fast heartbeat will often play, and during a violent scene, you can safely expect every physical blow to be accompanied by a sudden harsh dissonance. The result is music that neither enriches the film nor stands well on its own. The worst offender in this area is certainly battle and action scene music, which is often full of the crudest gestures imaginable; e.g. a track full of horns, drums, and jarring harmonies to accompany a scene that takes place on a battlefield. The best film soundtrack that I'm aware of is probably the one which Danny Elfman composed for Edward Scissorhands. While the soundtrack does not integrate with the film in any particularly interesting way, it is full of emotional richness and imagination, and stands well on its own.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by anti-villain View Post
    I agree. The LOTR scores received SO much acclaim, but they did absolutely nothing for me either. No connection at all.
    It's a matter of personal taste. The LOTR is more operatic and melodic, which I personally like.

Quote Originally Posted by anti-villain View Post
    I really liked Desplat's Harry Potter scores. I think it's just that he's still kind of a newcomer, so his body of work is a bit more limited than the others.
    He is a quiet achiever, though. He has 5 Oscar nominations already.

What do you think of Marianelli's work in Atonement and Pride and Prejudice? The latter is particularly lovely.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

- Emily Bronte

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Yes. Goldsmith, Williams, Poledouris and Herrmann are Gods in this arena.
    Modern compositions? Crap. Don't make 'em like they used to.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    What do you think of Marianelli's work in Atonement and Pride and Prejudice? The latter is particularly lovely.
    I'll have to listen. I have Atonement on my Bluray shelf but haven't watched it yet.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft