User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: 1980s culture

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I noticed you left The Police in...
    They were together until 1986, and their single best album came out in 1983?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INXP

Heh, this is such a ridiculous argument. Music is totally subjective. One man's Phil Collins is another woman's Nirvana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Heh, this is such a ridiculous argument. Music is totally subjective. One man's Phil Collins is another woman's Nirvana.
    One man's "More Than a Feeling" is another man's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Specifically, Kurt Cobain's.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

One woman's Genesis is another man's Nirvana.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Heh, this is such a ridiculous argument. Music is totally subjective. One man's Phil Collins is another cocaine-addicted woman's Nirvana.
    Now you're finally making some sense!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    One woman's Genesis is another man's Nirvana.
    pure_mercury's Revelation is every woman's Nirvana.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    and their single best album came out in 1983?
    If you insist, but both "Roxanne" and "Message in a Bottle" are from the late 70s.
    One of those decades that was a low-point in the rock and roll era, right? (like the 50s.. )
    The second song happens to have some of the greatest guitar riffs of all time.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ESFJ

If you insist, but both "Roxanne" and "Message in a Bottle" are from the late 70s.
    One of those decades that was a low-point in the rock and roll era, right? (like the 50s.. )
    The second song happens to have some of the greatest guitar riffs of all time.
    Sure, that band was together for ten years, from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s. I think that they peaked in the early-'80s, but they had many great songs. Same with Talking Heads. Three great albums in the '70s, but my favorites were their two studio albums and one live album from the early-'80s.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    But you have to remember, about 4 of those acts made any sort of impact on the charts in the United States.
    You're wrong.....and even if you weren't, I still remember the majority of them from the radio. Besides, if the UK doesn't matter in this discussion, then Pixies shouldn't be included in great 80s bands. We can just add them to the 90s repertoire.

And the only person who hates musical instruments in this thread is DJ Shadow, who was very vocal about his dislike of guitars and white people who play them. I've also met Spacehog, very funny guys. What about Oasis, Blur, Suede, Pulp, Manic Street Preachers, Smashing Pumpkins, Massive Attack, Afghan Whigs, Screaming Trees?

P.S. Sublime and Pearl Jam? Not so much.
    Pulp is mentioned in the quote in your post... and yeah, many people would have included Oasis, Blur, MSP, Smashing Pumpkins, and Massive Attack in the list..I did consider them, but they're not among my favorites. Screaming Trees I like, but they're obscure.
    Pearl Jam's debut is generally considered to be a great album.
    The 90s was a better decade for classical musicianship than the 80s. Though maybe some people prefer drum machines.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ESFJ

You're wrong.....and even if you weren't, I still remember the majority of them from the radio. Besides, if the UK doesn't matter in this discussion, then Pixies shouldn't be included in great 80s bands. We can just add them to the 90s repertoire.
    Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Green Day, The Offspring, Nine Inch Nails, Sarah McLachlan, and OutKast sold tons of albums (and OutKast not really until 2000) in the 1990s. Most of those other bands had one big album, or none. I am not ragging on them for it, because I love most of them. But alternative/modern rock was a small chunk of what was actually popular in the 1990s. The Police, U2, Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, and a few others were the biggest-selling acts of the 1980s, and amongst the best.

Pulp is mentioned in the quote in your post... and yeah, many people would have included Oasis, Blur, MSP, Smashing Pumpkins, and Massive Attack in the list..I did consider them, but they're not among my favorites. Screaming Trees I like, but they're obscure.
    Pearl Jam's debut is generally considered to be a great album.
    I actually think VS. is the best Pearl Jam album, and Vitalogy is the last one I'd consider great. Again, nothing against them, they just have a really big and committed fanbase considering the spotty quality of their work the last 12 years or so. When it comes to British acts, a 1980s vs. 1990s throwdown would be an fun exercise.