• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

1980s culture

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
This is hilarious. My ex-gf (like, from high school) just came on AIM, and I typed, "Hey! I was just thinking about you. Well, actually, I was thinking about Boy George, and then about you." Private joke there. We were really into Culture Club, and saw them together.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Great, that means I'll be stuck being attracted to women who either wish they lived in the 80's or the 40's. Or not, cause I don't like either that much (especially 80's).

You just described me. :shock:

Blaspheme! :shock: The 80's was the last gasp of civilization and culture. Then it all went to rap crap.

Agreed.

I became deeply aware of the world in the 80s. My older sister Scout put blue mascara on me and dressed me up in her clothes. She introduced to me her cool friends and let me listen to her records. Some of her mates even wrote us notes in class, with that awesome flourescent ink that had just gotten big, the Is dotted with hearts.

I had my radio on all the time. It was a true radio culture then. The DJs were more than pumped-up idiot frat boys with a microphone. If you wanted to be in touch, you had to call people on the phone, drive to their house, or call the radio station and give 'em a shout-out. We'd get on the air sometimes, just being nuts. Don't get me started on MTV or VH1 or NightFlight.

The 80s was firing to an NF's imagination. I was formed by it. The shuttles. Reagan. Breakbeats. Atari. Fast cars. Movies with absolutely no boundary on what was possible (even when it was total fantasy). I was openly derided through the 90s as "80s girl" or "punk rock girl" because I never gave up my punk clothes. Even when I was in elementary school, I had a Member's Only jacket and a silver necktie. I was SURE that John Taylor would marry me (never mind that I was 8.)

I miss it and I don't mind saying so. There were things about it that were bad, of course. Like the pecking order in middle/high school (I got the fall-out from that, even when I entered the 8th grade in 1990...). If you didn't have on the "it" clothes, you were trash. I couldn't afford it. No matter. I was a punk anyway. Billy Idol was the Man.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
that awesome flourescent ink that had just gotten big

Hah - that reminds me of... clothes dyed with heat-sensitive dye. Did anyone else have one of those T-shirts? "Hypercolor", I think they were called. Mine was sort of a blue-purplish color, where the hot-spots turned pink. Ouch... I just saw them described as "retro"... I had mine in high school - guess I'm getting a little "retro" too :D.

I guess a lot of people are partial to the decade when they were teenagers, but I really do think that the early 80's were great for music, in particular.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I remember the 80s well, in spite of my relative youth... It's frightening to see any of it returning, because even at the time it seemed distant, like it wasn't real.

The hair now is more 60s (mixed with human reproductions of Anime/Manga hair styles), the clothing has taken even more extreme tangents (I think the 80s fairy either visited this area a decade ago, or has passed us over, thankfully), and the music has some retro 70s/80s thing mixing in. The music sucks now, in fact.

The hair variations are notable to me because most hair cutting people here cut mine very different from the way my best friend's wife does it. Then again, she's firmly stuck in the 90s and early 00s, so when she does it my hair looks like it did back then, which is how I like it - simple, precise, and clean. Precise is totally out now-a-days, and a natural/unnatural (soft/unkempt/jagged) thing is in.

I don't even know what they'd remember of this era, since sometime in the late 90s the world has so severely fragmented as television lost it's place as the center of the universe and reality TV replaced waterfall method television show production/distribution, which was a sort of unifying factor. It's like they cheaped out because they knew their market was becoming less attentive to them. It was the unifying factor in the US for over half a century, which is a long time in a country that has only existed for a short time. Everyone's "common experiences" were TV-related.

I guess in the future people will see if you remember when goatse.cx was still at that address, or how many times you were rickrolled.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
We've been discussing music and clothing a lot. What about film, art, interior design, and politics? Reagan and Thatcher? The rise of yuppie culture? Come on, I was in diapers or underoos for most of the decade.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
We've been discussing music and clothing a lot. What about film, art, interior design, and politics? Reagan and Thatcher? The rise of yuppie culture? Come on, I was in diapers or underoos for most of the decade.
I was 8 when 1990 rolled around. Still, I remember the decade rather well.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I was 8 when 1990 rolled around. Still, I remember the decade rather well.

I was 7 1/2, and I remember certain things. I remember George H.W. Bush being elected, for instance. But I didn't know about everything going on. How about AIDS?

alicia91

I love the 80's. I graduated high school in 1982, probably in an acid wash denim mini-skirt, high-top reeboks with slouchy socks. And don't forget the banana-comb! Those were the days! :)

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I was 7 1/2, and I remember certain things. I remember George H.W. Bush being elected, for instance. But I didn't know about everything going on. How about AIDS?
I remember the election, but AIDS was a vague thing to me. Sex is still sort-of vague, mind you, but it was even more mysterious back then.

Remember the air raid drills and such? The cold war? The Berlin Wall falling? Many of the younger generation don't recall those.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was 21 in 1990.

As I remember it, there was the 80s that was the post-punk and new wave times :headphne: , and then there was the 80s that was the later half.

cheers,
Ian

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I know I've said this before, but I have a very vivid memory, and I recall Challenger exploding. I was in 3rd grade I think. All us kids wound up screaming or bursting into tears and the teachers were frantically trying to console everyone, turning off the tvs and looking horrified. There were a million kids in the hallways sitting and crying.

In 1985, I was the prototypical 80s kid (only without the money, which is why I formed an attachment to punks and fringey people like John Cusack...). Even though I was a tomboy, I wore a pink leotard with my blue jeans (later, high heels with jeans :D ). I was attached to my Walkman. I loved Voltron, Tranzor Z, the Transformers, He-Man (my super awesome ISFJ friend bought me both a Soundwave and a Battlecat for my birthday one year because he knew I couldn't afford it back when it was popular....).

I would daydream through class about being dressed like Madonna from her "Lucky Star" video, and my British rock star boyfriend would bust me out of school and we'd take off in his limo for the airport. I never thought of myself as an eight year, just a frustrated 19 year old in a little person's body. :D

In the late 80s, I was totally into Johnny Depp. Watched 21 Jump St. religiously. My best friend even had a giant poster of him on the back of her door. I couldn't sleep with him looking at me all night. I thought "Cry Baby" was the edge of cool.

The 80s was this one long shiny moment, even when things were bad. I remember LIVING at the roller rink.

I love the 80's. I graduated high school in 1982, probably in an acid wash denim mini-skirt, high-top reeboks with slouchy socks. And don't forget the banana-comb! Those were the days! :)

lol!! I must have raided your closet at some point.

I was 21 in 1990.

As I remember it, there was the 80s that was the post-punk and new wave times :headphne: , and then there was the 80s that was the later half.

cheers,
Ian

You're right. The late 80's had more in common with the early 90s than it did with the early 80s where the disco era was still winding down.