User Tag List

123 Last

Infinite Bubble

Default Do you focus on the music or the lyrics?

I've heard before that Intuitors focus on the lyrics more whereas Sensors focus on the music itself. Personally I have always placed more importance on the melody, chord progressions etc; most lyrics seem to me like poorly written poetry and are usually quite basic in their use of expressing meaning verbally. If it was words I was after, surely I'd just read a book?

So: music or lyrics, and do you think it has anything to do with functions/type at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I've heard before that Intuitors focus on the lyrics more whereas Sensors focus on the music itself. Personally I have always placed more importance on the melody, chord progressions etc; most lyrics seem to me like poorly written poetry and are usually quite basic in their use of expressing meaning verbally. If it was words I was after, surely I'd just read a book?

So: music or lyrics, and do you think it has anything to do with functions/type at all?
    I focus more on lyrics (particularly if they're weird/imaginative, unusual in some way). That's why I like Joanna Newsom so much. I'm not a big fan of music generally though; I could live without it. It's very rare a piece of music makes me go Wow!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I definitely focus on the music. However, a song can't be great unless it has both good music and good lyrics.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I focus on the music. The lyrics are just a feature of the melody for me, unless I consciously try to ‘hear’ them. They could be in a foreign language because it's sound and not syntax for me.
    I have played in many bands, and something I have noticed, related to this, is that I can’t remember a tune by the title. I just don’t connect things that way. If I hear the first chord and a little bit of the rhythm, then I can tell what’s next. But telling me the title won’t remind me of anything. I’ve met a few others who think this way too.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post

I pay attention to both. Lyrics can be more or less limiting, depending on the author, but overall the combination's a package deal I absorb.
    I'm doubtful this has much to do with typology. Possibly more to do with learning style, perhaps?
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The music by a long shot.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Music first definitely. If it's unpleasant but has great lyrics, I still don't want to hear it.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I focus on the music to the point that even when I know the words I really just know the sounds. Sometimes I'll sing some old song I listen to a bunch and realize I don;t really know what it's about at all because the lyrics have never seeped into my brain. But I do really like voices...just voices a sounds more than as communicating some narrative. I like ambiguous lyrics, lots of riffing, gospel back up. I prefer singers with idiosyncratic or rough/wailing voices compares to more "beautiful" "diva" type singers.

Like someone else mentioned I also listen to a lot of non English music and it's just them same to me.

My ESFJ friend is very focused on the narrative of the music. Maybe it's an E/I divide.

I'm an intuitive, and I pay far more attention to the music. If lyrics are particularly good, I will enjoy them, but dumb lyrics don't bother me at all...if they did, I couldn't listen to most of the music I do.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    IsFJ

That's a tough call for me... I'd say I enjoy the melody a lot more when I can understand the lyrics (I often have to look them up, though), but I also really like purely instrumental stuff, particularly VG tracks.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).