• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you focus on the music or the lyrics?

• Thread starter Infinite Bubble
  • Start date

ThrenodyZiggurat

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Lyrics. It's best when the lyrics are folded into the song as another instrument, but still sends it's messages. Barring that, good lyrics can save the worst music, but bad lyrics just make me laugh too much to enjoy the song for more than a few minutes.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've always lived by the idea that good music is universal and therefore it doesn't require any form of language. But even so, I end up focusing on the lyrics more.

Also have a preference for very intense and powerful singers. :wubbie:

serenesam

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've heard before that Intuitors focus on the lyrics more whereas Sensors focus on the music itself. Personally I have always placed more importance on the melody, chord progressions etc; most lyrics seem to me like poorly written poetry and are usually quite basic in their use of expressing meaning verbally. If it was words I was after, surely I'd just read a book?

So: music or lyrics, and do you think it has anything to do with functions/type at all?

I focus on both so I don't think it has anything to do with MBTI.

W

WALMART

I definitely take note of music over lyrics, however

Also have a preference for very intense and powerful singers. :wubbie:

the vocalist is incredibly important to me. All of my favorite bands have distinct vocalists: Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, Modest Mouse. I remember once posting if Chris Cornell taught me anything, it's that what you're saying doesn't mean shit, it's how you say it.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Music without a doubt.... the pure groove of it. Most of the time I don't even hear the lyrics, and if I do sometimes I'll even block them out to avoid running away screaming from most everything Top 40. Though sometimes I'll take notice of clever lines here and there.

S

SingSmileShine

When I'm in a good mood, I tend to just relax and enjoy the music. When I'm sad, I let the words speak to me (but both matter all the time)!

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Music. Definitely music. I get too easily distracted to pay attention to lyrics. That's not to say if a song has a really annoying line I can't stand (overly absurdly stupid) but a good rhythm that I'd sit there and listen. I'd leave in an instant. Overly stupid lyrics are just as bad as ear piercing jams. Nice songs and good lyrics, even better!

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
More than half of what I listen to has no lyrics so I will let that speak for itself.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Both, but I think I focus a bit more on the lyrics. Especially when I'm hearing it for the first time, I tend to listen to the words for the meaning, and I like hearing the emotion in someone's voice as they sing certain lines, that really affects me. But at the same time, the melody is usually the first thing I notice about a song. The music sets the mood for the song, it helps me get a vibe. However, I can grow to like a melody, like it might start off weird but I stick it out to see if I like where it goes. Whereas I can't listen to a song that has lyrics I don't like. But... I also don't like to listen to a song if the melody isn't good or if it's too overpowering. So I guess it in the end it depends but mostly lyrics? lol.

It depends. I either focus mainly on the music or at other times the lyrics. Sometimes certain songs or genres (like shoegaze and dreampop) have obscure, unintelligible vocals where the voice can take on the use of an instrument, so I can't really tell what they are saying, but it's nice anyway. Other times I'll listen to someone who is more of a poet like Bob Dylan and Patti Smith and pay more attention to the lyrics. And of course if it's an instrumental then I would only focus on the music, but I usually don't really care for instrumentals as much as music with some sort of vocal included. I think it's because for me vocals give it a more personalized human touch and sometimes without them a song can seem a little naked to me.

Also I may add that sometimes I'm just in the mood to daydream and then let the lyrics (whoever may be singing them) drift from one ear and out the other and to just think about whatever else is on my mind during that moment. Come to think of it, I probably do that the most when listening to music because sometimes I don't even realize it when I do it. However, if I'm generally hearing an album for the first time, I try to pay attention to both the music and the lyrics.

Another thing is that sometimes the lyrics can really affect a song for me too. If the song is really catchy and fun like an upbeat pop song but the lyrics are horrendous, then I usually wouldn't hesitate to press the reject buzzer on that one. However, I can be more forgiving if the music is offbeat or unconventional, as I tend to like stuff that can be out there and a little more avant garde. But then there's some music artists who are notorious for horrible lyrics and overall music composition, like GG Allin for instance, and I can dig that when I'm in the mood, haha.

But I also have a huge distaste if I find music that sounds too over-processed and commercialized, as if it's too pristine and artificial, like they are overcompensating for something. Probably why I can enjoy lo-fi or an album like Syd Barrett's The Madcap Laughs. An album can be so imperfect, but there is this sort of quality about it that makes it amazing for that reason. I suppose the idea that a human can reveal their imperfections where they themselves come off vulnerable in the process and still make a masterpiece is very inspiring, especially to an avid perfectionist like myself. I should probably start taking cues. :)

Anyway, incessant rambling over.

á´…eparted

passages
Music. Always. I have gone years without knowing the lyrics to some of my favorite songs. Lyrics in general aren't too important to me.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Music first, especially since I listen to alot of instrumental music, and also songs in languages I don't know well enough to follow the lyrics in. I do enjoy good lyrics, especially when they are well-crafted, make good use of words and follow the meter and rhyme without being forced. I find the English translation of Les Miserables lyrics exceptional in that respect, as well as some of the lyrical antics of the Capitol Steps. I suppose being a musician just reinforces this tendency. I play for churches, and generally ignore the words of hymns except as a marker for which verse we are on, and try to add some variety to the repeated music.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
The lyrics will make me fall in love with a song, make it a favorite, where I purposely put it on and listen, or I'll hear something new on the radio and it catches my interest I will go in search of the lyrics . most of the music I like grew on me, and I love to learn the words to all of my favorites. The lyrics make the song for me.

skimpit

I think I listen to both, to the point it can overwhelm me. I can't pick one to focus on when it comes to new music. Even when it comes to music I've heard before (like my favorite songs), I still have trouble choosing which part to listen to, so you'll often hear me in the car or the shower switching from the instrumental to the vocal track and back again trying to recreate the whole thing. I often attribute deeper meaning to lyrics that probably weren't meant to have that. Often this meaning comes from emotions I feel. I think which aspect of a song you focus on is either random or could be a result of some musical training you've had.