• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you focus on the music or the lyrics?

• Thread starter Infinite Bubble
  • Start date

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8
It really depends on the artist, the genre, and the song, but typically I'm more of a lyrics person.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've heard before that Intuitors focus on the lyrics more whereas Sensors focus on the music itself. Personally I have always placed more importance on the melody, chord progressions etc; most lyrics seem to me like poorly written poetry and are usually quite basic in their use of expressing meaning verbally. If it was words I was after, surely I'd just read a book?

So: music or lyrics, and do you think it has anything to do with functions/type at all?

I'm same as you - I have always focused on the music.

Over the past couple of years, I actually have found myself listening to the words though. It's like a whole new experience has opened up to me and I'm appreciating old songs I used to like in a new and different way. It seems ridiculous to me but this is true.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I listen to the lyrics but the music also matters to me. Some songs have terrible music but good lyrics and i'll like those over songs with bad lyrics but good music. though some music has an extra good beat and it could be like: my bitch tastes like dog shit/i hit her and the tits. and if i had has a bumpity beat i'll listen to it.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Music. But when the lyrics are good, thats always a plus.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've heard before that Intuitors focus on the lyrics more whereas Sensors focus on the music itself. Personally I have always placed more importance on the melody, chord progressions etc; most lyrics seem to me like poorly written poetry and are usually quite basic in their use of expressing meaning verbally. If it was words I was after, surely I'd just read a book?

So: music or lyrics, and do you think it has anything to do with functions/type at all?

I'm an intuitive, and I pay far more attention to the music. If lyrics are particularly good, I will enjoy them, but dumb lyrics don't bother me at all...if they did, I couldn't listen to most of the music I do.

Music. But when the lyrics are good, thats always a plus.

I relate to all of these statements. For me music >> lyrics and oftentimes I don't even notice the lyrics. The song grabs me musically and I'm embarrassed to find out later that I song I really liked had really lame or offensive lyrics. If a song has really good lyrics it's a plus if I happen to pay attention to them but I'm unlikely to notice the lyrics if the song doesn't grab me musically first.

Much of the music I listen to has minimal or no lyrics at all. Like classical or electronic music.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I really had to think about this. I think I'm most concerned with the overall mood of a song, which is probably owed more to the music than to the lyrics. To listen to the lyrics, rather than just hear voices singing words, requires more of a conscious effort from me.

Beyond being a feeler, I don't know what, if anything, this says about type.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
To add a few caveats to my former opinion, I do prefer music as a backdrop, since I have a hard time discerning lyrics for the most part anyway. However, I find that good lyrics can enrichen very much a song. And you can sing it quietly too, which is always a plus when you're bored. :headphne:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I generally just listen to the music. Of course I hear the lyrics but I tend not to separate them and music can't speak to me unless I hear it as a whole. Although sometimes there are parts to a song that shine more than others, I have to admit.

It's basically a balance. Sometimes the notes tell me more than the words, other times the words complete the note. It's about synergy.

93JC

trollface_small.png

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
I like singing along. Bad lyrics completely ruin songs for me :(

Yep, same with me. If the lyrics are good, I'd not tune them out as I would with bad lyrics.. where I just try and focus on the music. :D

G

garbage

Yep, same with me. If the lyrics are good, I'd not tune them out as I would with bad lyrics.. where I just try and focus on the music. :D
Terrible lyrics are the trainwreck in an otherwise well-oiled system. I can't help but pay attention to them. They draw my focus and I throw my hands up in the air (but in a way that connotes that I actually do care)

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Typically both, although if I can't understand the lyrics due to singing style or language it's not really an issue. The music is most important.

I focus much more on the music than the lyrics. If a few isolated lyrics catch my attention and pique my curiosity, I look them up, but otherwise, I find it more enjoyable just to listen to the music and the beat.