User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Depends on what we are listening to, really.

Things like pop, the music tend to be more like a side thing while the lyrics are important.

Things that are electronically based (I.E. Trance, Techno, etc) I'd prefer it to be mostly music.

Classical? Music.

Basically, the more sounds in the background the more I focus on the music, the less sounds in the background the more I focus on lyrics. There isn't anything that can help with bad music or bad lyrics though.

Exhibit A: Pop: Mostly lyrics.

Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me

Westlife - Flying Without Wings

Exhibit B: Electronic: Ignore the video itself, it is all follow the beat.

ABG - Recollections (Dynamis Remix)

Oliver Smith - Tomahawk

Exhibit C: Rock: Energy is from the music, power is from the lyrics.

Story Of The Year - Anthem Of Our Dying Days

Rise Against - The Good Left Undone

Exhibit D: Rap: Mostly lyrics. Music adds effect to the lyrics. Its hard for me to find rap that is alone or something that has enough rap (because most that do, I hate it.)

Linkin Park - Hit The Floor

X-Ecutioners feat. Mike Shinoda & Mr. Hahn - It´s Going Down <--- Linkin Park is pretty much in there too.

Exhibit E: Classical: All Music

Canon in D

Leaves On The Seine
    Last edited by Rail Tracer; 05-04-2013 at 02:50 PM.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Definitely both. Probably music would win, since I can enjoy songs with lame lyrics if the music is good (which is actually most songs I listen to, haha), but the lyrics still matter - if the lyrics are actually offensive that'd turn me off, and I like musically simple songs if the lyrics are interesting. And instrumental songs are cool too. I don't really like rap or other music that doesn't really have a melody. So both, but with the melody part slightly more important.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Music. It takes you to more places than the lyrics. Lyrics are typically unnecessary...but sometimes they seem to be more part of the melody, particularly when you can't understand them -- the growling vocals of metal, for example, are very much a part of the music, because who the hell can understand what they're saying?

And frankly, in most cases, I don't even understand the lyrics in any song, save for maybe the chorus if it's catchy. I usually end up looking them up.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    bad

Lyrics,the meaning of lyrics can make the music very different.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I'm doubtful this has much to do with typology. Possibly more to do with learning style, perhaps?
    Maybe not then. Although it could be that it is the opposite way round to what I read, as although technically music is sensory, it represents abstract patterns that can be subjectively interpreted, which might appeal more to intuitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Depends on what we are listening to, really.
    I think that perhaps people will gravitate towards genres that emphasize whichever quality they prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by unnamed View Post
    Lyrics,the meaning of lyrics can make the music very different.
    Does knowing the meaning of the lyrics make the music sound 'better' to you? If you like the lyrics, do you enjoy the song whether or not the actual music is that great in your opinion?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    bad

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Does knowing the meaning of the lyrics make the music sound 'better' to you? If you like the lyrics, do you enjoy the song whether or not the actual music is that great in your opinion?
    Yeah.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Lyrics. I really can't tolerate stupid lyrics unless they're meant to be funny, doesn't matter how much I like the music. That's why I don't listen to Randy Travis, even though I love his voice. His lyrics are like someone ran a bunch of Hallmark cards through a shredder then randomly glued them back together.

I don't think it's because I'm intuitive. I think it's because my brain is very verbal/ language oriented and I know jack about music. I listen to books a lot more often than I listen to music.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think it's more to do with how attuned you are to the craft of music. I can't listen to classical music without lyrics while writing because the chord progressions and complex nuances are constantly getting analyzed by me. OTOH, I can listen to pop music with lyics while writing.

I'm very verbal but I am more captivated by the musical theory & application than the words.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I think that perhaps people will gravitate towards genres that emphasize whichever quality they prefer.
    Yeah, I tend to prefer music > lyrics for concentrating.

But if it is something like Rock and Rap, I tend to notice the lyrics a lot. That's when lyrics > music for me (but again, rap tends to gives me headaches if it isn't being rapped correctly because I focus a lot on the lyrics.)

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think it's more to do with how attuned you are to the craft of music. I can't listen to classical music without lyrics while writing because the chord progressions and complex nuances are constantly getting analyzed by me. OTOH, I can listen to pop music with lyics while writing.

I'm very verbal but I am more captivated by the musical theory & application than the words.
    When it comes to concentrating, I feel the opposite. Too much lyrics clutter my mind, higher tempos also tend to clutter my mind by going too fast.

So when I am doing something I need to concentrate, like doing an essay or reading a book, it has to be something like classical or ambient.

Rogue heart

What I go for in music are the emotions, sometimes I can be drawn by a song because of the music, other times by the lyrics, so whichever of the two resonates with me in a certain moment, makes me feel a certain way, but if I have to choose: definitely the music! I have to admit I have been annoyed by stupid lyrics, because I see music as an expression of the soul of the artist, what someones inner world sounds like, unless of course it's intentionally meant to be funny, then we're cool haha