• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2013 NHL Playoffs

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
On TV isn't so bad, but you would have to have seen some games live to have the same perspective.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On TV isn't so bad, but you would have to have seen some games live to have the same perspective.

It's an interesting comparison, actually. When I watch games in person, I actually feel more in the moment, but less tense. I'm just happy to be there, a sort of weird, soothing focus that feels great. It feels better in person, regardless of the outcome. (Although I do get passionate - if I'm not working, I'm free to scream.)

When I'm watching a game at home, I feel a great deal more tension, particularly when the stakes are high. Maybe part of it's the environment? With broadcasts, you've got your anchors, commentators, and color going on about how Player X hasn't produced numbers like he should, how Player Y is still injured, etc., whereas at the actual game you're surrounded by thousands of happy fans and an announcer saying, "Remember, check your ticket stubs for the chance to win a..."

The perspectives shift, too. Via broadcast, the ice surface always looks huge to me, yet simultaneously like the players have little room to move. In person, it's the opposite - the rink's just as modest as I remember it, and yet, there's a lot of open space to navigate. Maybe that's just me, though. :ninja:

I think seeing games (of any league) in person is what it takes to hook someone, and then once addicted, it's like cocaine. At this stage, TV will suffice. You'll be happy to get anything, really. Downloadin' apps and whatnot to be updated on every goal.

[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] - If you don't live in/near a city with an NHL team, are there any other leagues accessible to you? AHL, USHL, NAHL? Any college teams? Although I've seen high prices at certain universities (D-I), tickets are typically much more manageable when going this route. Junior league games are very affordable if you wanna check out one of those, and they're still a great way to have fun and enjoy the sport. :yes:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If you don't live in/near a city with an NHL team, are there any other leagues accessible to you? AHL, USHL, NAHL? Any college teams? Although I've seen high prices at certain universities (D-I), tickets are typically much more manageable when going this route. Junior league games are very affordable if you wanna check out one of those, and they're still a great way to have fun and enjoy the sport. :yes:

We have the Aeros (at least, we did...) so it was really cheap to go see them and parking was decent. Unfortunately, they're leaving the city. :(

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We have the Aeros (at least, we did...) so it was really cheap to go see them and parking was decent. Unfortunately, they're leaving the city. :(

Ahhh...they're becoming the Iowa Wild and moving to Des Moines, aren't they? Friggin' Iowa. Just taking everything away from everyone. :mad:

Meanwhile, in Boston:

tumblr_mnu401j62F1raloeqo1_1280.jpg

I'm guessing [MENTION=8697]Ponyboy[/MENTION] is feeling pretty good right now.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^I hope you're right. :c I miss them already and they haven't even left quite yet.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some things work out with Iowa, as long as both of you maintain a mutual understanding and acceptance that any and all sex between you is purely exploratory at this phase. Sometimes, though, Iowa calls you repeatedly and wants to know the status of your relationship, and you're like, "Honey, I'm not in the mood to talk about this right now."

Then Iowa pouts and never lets you have your AHL team back.

So, yeah, I guess.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Moral of the story: hockey doesn't belong in Iowa.

How bout them Dallas Stars?

Dallas is a 4 hour drive away, and the city is just awful to me.. Ive really never come across a city I disliked quite like Dallas. Most of them have a few merits at least.

I'll probably resort to seeing them at some point in time though.

E

Epiphany

I do think that's pretty cool and I'm surprised I haven't heard that beaten to death on TV. Although I don't have full cable anymore so maybe that's why I missed it.
Go B's! :D

I've heard it mentioned a few times. Congrats btw on Boston's obliteration of Pittsburgh. We will see you in the finals!

Oh yeah...we gotta finish off that other team first.

Dallas is a 4 hour drive away, and the city is just awful to me.. Ive really never come across a city I disliked quite like Dallas. Most of them have a few merits at least.

I'll probably resort to seeing them at some point in time though.

All we have in Indiana are basketball and football. :ack!: And racing.

Chicago is just around the corner though.

Ponyboy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Congrats btw on Boston's obliteration of Pittsburgh. We will see you in the finals!

Oh yeah...we gotta finish off that other team first.
Congrats to your team as well....should be a good series! I hope Boston continues playing the way they have been.

Ponyboy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Meanwhile, in Boston:

tumblr_mnu401j62F1raloeqo1_1280.jpg

I'm guessing [MENTION=8697]Ponyboy[/MENTION] is feeling pretty good right now.
Oh yeah! :D I saw one of these pix with Crosby sitting on the ice whining and it said "Mommy...Tuukka won't let me score!" I loved that one but now I can't find it. :(

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This series is going to be ridiculous. Game one? More like two games for the price of one...

In the meantime, a toast to Andrew Shaw and Corey Crawford, as well as a belated congratulations-on-your-hat-trick to Patrick Kane:

I love you, Chicago. :hug:

E

Epiphany

Great series! I had the pleasure of watching game 6 in a very Chicago-friendly hockey bar last night. I didn't know Indiana even had that many hockey fans. A lotta Blackhawks jerseys and a few unhappy Boston fans. Even this introverted feeler broke out of his shell and cheered during the last few minutes of the game. Granted, I was under the influence of alcohol...and VICTORY!!!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes well Chicago rules. Again.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Congrats to the team I kind of hate for beating the team I REALLY hate! Sports makes strange bedfellows :)