• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are you listening to?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi processing, please wait...

I was listening to this the other day. My ENFP sister turned me onto Smiths/Morrissey years ago. I was wondering why his music is so popular with mexican americans. Can you explain this to me?

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was listening to this the other day. My ENFP sister turned me onto Smiths/Morrissey years ago. I was wondering why his music is so popular with mexican americans. Can you explain this to me?

Well The Smiths, Depeche Mode, The Cure are considered 'classics' by certain subcultures. When other cultures are infected, they tend to gravitate to the 'known' i.e. the classics. Its a form of signaling. I've hung out within several different music subcultures within Mexico and they ALL do this, gravitate to 'classics'.

Rock en Espanol really hit it big in the late 80s. I saw it in its infancy, it was awesome. Up to that point Latino music tastes really were limited in range. They didn't really do rap, metal, punk, rock etc. Soda Estero showed how you could make money and fame doing Rock en Espanol. $$$ Huge boom. So other American genres got sweept up during this time. Basically late 80s+ is positively associated with that whole explosive era.

That song by them made them mega famous throughout the ENTIRE Spanish speaking world. That concert iin the video s like 30k.

P.S. Basically the American style of music invasion of Latin America.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

RYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGH