• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are you listening to?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Boards of Canada - 1969

Can you explain your taste in music? Or what your preferred genre is?

I relate to a lot of your posts. Except for the music!:laugh:

á´…eparted

passages
Can you explain your taste in music? Or what your preferred genre is?

I relate to a lot of your posts. Except for the music!:laugh:

I relate to quite a few of your posts as well :).

I can try. For a full list of the music I listen to, please see this.

I listen mostly to electronic music. It's my bread and butter really. I like music that has what I consider to be "interesting sounds and patterns". Instruments, synthesized noises that haven't been used before, seldom are used, or are arranged in a unique manner. I find it to be stimulating and it feels good to hear them. I also look for music that has a persistent low pitch sound to it. Either a heavy bassline, hum, etc. It's a subtle aspect but it's really important in most things. I've noticed over the years that this is actually something a lot of people don't seem to care for. I also really like music that conveys something almost other-worldly. Like it is not of here, not grounded, and moves of it's own devices. I also like music that combines unlike sounds with each other. Instruments, or patterns that on the surface don't seem to mix, or that they shouldn't mix at all, but ultimately do. I like music that when I listen, I can pick apart, hear each individual noise on its own, and focus on just that.

I wish there was a term for the genre I listen to, because I know it when I hear it (it's a subset of electronic music).

Does that help?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I relate to quite a few of your posts as well :).

I can try. For a full list of the music I listen to, please see this.

I listen mostly to electronic music. It's my bread and butter really. I like music that has what I consider to be "interesting sounds and patterns". Instruments, synthesized noises that haven't been used before, seldom are used, or are arranged in a unique manner. I find it to be stimulating and it feels good to hear them. I also look for music that has a persistent low pitch sound to it. Either a heavy bassline, hum, etc. It's a subtle aspect but it's really important in most things. I've noticed over the years that this is actually something a lot of people don't seem to care for. I also really like music that conveys something almost other-worldly. Like it is not of here, not grounded, and moves of it's own devices. I also like music that combines unlike sounds with each other. Instruments, or patterns that on the surface don't seem to mix, or that they shouldn't mix at all, but ultimately do. I like music that when I listen, I can pick apart, hear each individual noise on its own, and focus on just that.

I wish there was a term for the genre I listen to, because I know it when I hear it (it's a subset of electronic music).

Does that help?

:laugh: I just find this funny cause it's very rare, very, to find a genre that I'm not interested in. Your description sounds exactly how I hear it. Lol it sounds like patterns that aren't supposed to mix.

I think I'm going to have to listen for what you're talking about. No time right now. But I'm going to work on this.

It takes a lot to surprise me, and im just sort of baffled by this music.

So interesting.

á´…eparted

passages
:laugh: I just find this funny cause it's very rare, very, to find a genre that I'm not interested in. Your description sounds exactly how I hear it. Lol it sounds like patterns that aren't supposed to mix.

I think I'm going to have to listen for what you're talking about. No time right now. But I'm going to work on this.

It takes a lot to surprise me, and im just sort of baffled by this music.

So interesting.

Hahaha. The stuff I listen to is definitely not for everyone. I don't really know why I like what I do. I just do. It's not so much that you need to listen to what I described. It's more that I noticed I like music where I can pick it apart if I want to. I usually listen to it as a whole, but each sound is able to (more or less) be independently heard.

Two very good bands to "start" with if and when you want to explore it (as they both approach things from opposite ends of what I listen to and are very well known) would be Portishead, and The Knife. Even if they aren't liked by the listener, it's easy to see that these guys really know music.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hahaha. The stuff I listen to is definitely not for everyone. I don't really know why I like what I do. I just do. It's not so much that you need to listen to what I described. It's more that I noticed I like music where I can pick it apart if I want to. I usually listen to it as a whole, but each sound is able to (more or less) be independently heard.

Two very good bands to "start" with if and when you want to explore it (as they both approach things from opposite ends of what I listen to and are very well known) would be Portishead, and The Knife. Even if they aren't liked by the listener, it's easy to see that these guys really know music.

These 2 individually seem more optimistic and less ... out there... lol than some others. What is your absolute favorite song ? You don't have to post the vid if you don't want, I can look up the artist.

á´…eparted

passages
These 2 individually seem more optimistic and less ... out there... lol than some others. What is your absolute favorite song ? You don't have to post the vid if you don't want, I can look up the artist.

I know, hence I picked them; they're good intros :D.

Nah it's fine. Hmm... I have lots of favorites, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick this (and it's also by my favorite band, iamamiwhoami).

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know, hence I picked them; they're good intros :D.

Nah it's fine. Hmm... I have lots of favorites, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick this (and it's also by my favorite band, iamamiwhoami).

I like that one! I listened to the song fountain by them too. They seem chill. I could definitely zone out to them. She reminds me of ellie. I like the voice.

The tonality is more steady.

:laugh: I think if I'm listening to more somber songs or even just songs with a lot of variations, it has to be slower.

á´…eparted

passages
I like that one! I listened to the song fountain by them too. They seem chill. I could definitely zone out to them. She reminds me of ellie. I like the voice.

The tonality is more steady.

:laugh: I think if I'm listening to more somber songs or even just songs with a lot of variations, it has to be slower.

The whole project they do (every song they make comes with a video) comes with a video, and tells an abstract story. They are immensely captivating and match my style in nearly every way. I have such an undying love for them.

Haha, yes I suspect you'd think some of my fast or abstract music is not much different sounding than someone opening the cubbards in the kitchen and dumping all the pots and pans on the floor :alttongue:.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The whole project they do (every song they make comes with a video) comes with a video, and tells an abstract story. They are immensely captivating and match my style in nearly every way. I have such an undying love for them.

Haha, yes I suspect you'd think some of my fast or abstract music is not much different sounding than someone opening the cubbards in the kitchen and dumping all the pots and pans on the floor :alttongue:.

omfg! :laugh:

I know what it is! It's the skrillex background. Thats what the genre seems like to me.

:laugh: skrillex meets crumpling paper meets rubbing your finger over the receiver of the phone! Ha ha.

Im mostly just teasing. I'm just so interested, cause its like a challenge for me to figure it out ;) But it does sound like something you'd hear in abstract art museum. Lol.

When there's variations in the music I can be entertained by something like The White Stripes. I think the cadences between their transitions helps me follow where they're going.