User Tag List

Page 1381 of 2089 FirstFirst ... 381881128113311371137913801381138213831391143114811881 ... LastLast
Results 13,801 to 13,810 of 20886

Thread: What are you listening to?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    When listening to this, I don't know if I should be mentally teleported to the 60's or 90's. This is quite confusing. Maybe I should just physically go back in time and assassinate Nickleback and save both grunge and motown as we know it.
    I will never understand the vitriol for Nickelback. Anyone who knows the genre (post-grunge, not grunge) knows there are far worse bands than Nickelback that top the genre charts. I can only presume that most people who hate Nickelback don't know the genre, but know Nickelback because they crossed into Top 40.

It's not that Nickelback doesn't have bad lyrics. It's that it feels like hearing hundreds of people screaming their heads off about a C-rated romantic comedy, having never seen an F. Until I moved to a part of the country that wasn't familiar with post-grunge, I was used to people either liking Nickelback, or giving it that C-rated review -- "meh" -- or outright saying they weren't their favorite thing. Not exaggerated, fake-murderous rage.

Alternately -- and this might not be you, so I'm just saying in general -- it seems like people think they're cooler for violently hating Nickelback. Like it's a sweet new trend that will make more people like them.
    Last edited by EJCC; 06-03-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Typos
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I will never understand the vitriol for Nickelback. Anyone who knows the genre (post-grunge, not grunge) knows there are far worse bands than Nickelback that top the genre charts. I can only presume that most people who hate Nickelback don't know the genre, but know Nickelback because they crossed into Top 40.

It's not that Nickelback doesn't have bad lyrics. It's that it feels like hearing hundreds of people screaming their heads off about a C-rated romantic comedy, having never seen an F. Until I moved to a part of the country that wasn't familiar with post-grunge, I was used to people eithet liking Nickelback, or giving it that C-rated review -- "meh" -- or outright saying they weren't their favorite thing. Not exaggerated, fake-murderous rage.

Alternately -- and this might not be you, so I'm just saying in general -- it seems like people think they're cooler for violently hating Nickelback. Like it's a sweet new trend that will make more people like them.
    I listen to Nickelback from time to time. The comment was directed towards the theory on if Nickelback killed grunge or rock in general. Which I find really silly to begin with. As a personal rule, I have to make fun of the stuff I like every now and then to keep my ego in check. Which is the contrary to how I was brought up. And yes, I did like the video you posted.

I'm all about bad music.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

WALMART

Like Diogenes, grunge killed itself - a display of pure power over the will to life

Bush is post-grunge though. Nickleback is post-alt? (Wikipedia tells me I'm wrong, preserving content for posterity.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by applebite View Post
    Like Diogenes, grunge killed itself - a display of pure power over the will to life

Bush is post-grunge though. Nickleback is post-alt? (Wikipedia tells me I'm wrong, preserving content for posterity.)

I'll never fully understand these musical labels as post-grunge, post-rock, and post-punk. Everything has it's influences. If you can't see something as newly made and not totally recycled, you're either a music snob or a hipster.

It's as if anything post-Kurt Cobain is post-grunge. The Seattle scene was NOT only Kurt.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    I'll never fully understand these musical labels as post-grunge, post-rock, and post-punk. Everything has it's influences. If you can't see something as newly made and not totally recycled, you're either a music snob or a hipster.

It's as if anything post-Kurt Cobain is post-grunge. The Seattle scene was NOT only Kurt.
    maybe i'm a music snob and a hipster

this argument is like saying all matter defies form, let's cease the application of language

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Hadn't heard of post-alt before. I had thought post-grunge was anything that took the fuzz and crunch and growl from grunge and made it streamlined, sleek, produced, and crossover radio friendly in an almost popsy kind of way. But I sort of made that up, because Wikipedia's definition wasn't much help.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Hadn't heard of post-alt before. I had thought post-grunge was anything that took the fuzz and crunch and growl from grunge and made it streamlined, sleek, produced, and REALLY radio-accessible. But I sort of made that up, because Wikipedia's definition wasn't much help.
    Genres are all about making stuff up!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

this argument is like saying all matter defies form, let's cease the application of language
    I didn't say anything about not labeling music, or in your words, "cease the application of language". Anything with the prefix "post-" is a very moldy perception. Music should be approached as new and refreshing.

Shame on your hipster ways!

Ginkgo

I hold on to the wings of the eagles and watch as they all fly away.

LadyLazarus