User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can we judge/grade art?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think there are objective principles we can use to evaluate art

6 21.43%
  • No, the value of art is subjective and determined by the individual viewer

6 21.43%
  • It's a combination.

14 50.00%
  • I have some strong objections thread's premise/wording and I am going to write a long post about it.

2 7.14%
First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by En Gallop View Post
    Analysing is not Judging. It's just thinking about stuff.
    Well, the judging would come after analysis based on whether or not you deemed the work to be effective in it's communication. You could judge it as say....passable.....or good or great or Fantastic or RAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Well, the judging would come after analysis based on whether or not you deemed the work to be effective in it's communication. You could judge it as say....passable.....or good or great or Fantastic or RAD!
    So, in your view, the value of a work of art rests in the effectiveness of its communication? Do you just mean the ability of the artist to present his ideas? Surely the subject of the communication is the whole point of the thing though, not the technical aspect? (The thing being communicated, not the quality of the communication.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

So, in your view, the value of a work of art rests in the effectiveness of its communication? Do you just mean the ability of the artist to present his ideas? Surely the subject of the communication is the whole point of the thing though, not the technical aspect? (The thing being communicated, not the quality of the communication.)

Basically I would judge it on two fronts. 1.) Is this work communicating effectively 2.)Is there any value in what it is communicating.

So my answered would probably be a combination of subjective and objective. I think we can objectively determine whether the choice of media is appropriate and well handled. If things like composition and design principles have been considered (even if that means they've been broken or disregard for some reason". And whether the idea is communicated. I think working on these lines we can label a work as successful or unsuccessful, masterful even. Even if I didn't personally enjoy a Monet or a John baldessari I could recognize it as successful art.

Deciding the value of the messages is more subjective, and i think that's where you get the idea of works resonating with people. Here you would bring in distinctions like, Great or offensive. A great work probably having an underlying idea that taps into some nearly universal value which results in out collective appreciation. Again here is probably where I would personally find the John Baldessari work "better" that the Monet because I find it's message to have more value.

That's just my take on it. I won't rehash oearlier post but my opinion generally is: I don't think anything can be art and I don't think anything can be good art. However I don't think I have to like something for it to be good and I don't think something has to be good to be labeled art.

Analysing is not Judging. It's just thinking about stuff.
    Yeah, the only thing that matters is suspending disbelief.

RDF

First and foremost, I think art has to be entertaining. Anything above and beyond that (educational value, novelty, adherence to an artistic canon) is icing on the cake.

Hence, I hate it when some documentary movie is rated highly by critics because they think the general public needs exposure to this or that issue, but in fact the entertainment value is nil as a result of poor execution or amateurish handling.

First, art has to have entertainment value. That’s quite a wide target to hit, so I don’t think I’m being difficult here. Thus something like The Three Stooges can be both entertainment and kitsch art at the same time (Seinfeld thought of his sitcom as a rehash of the same principles that guided the comedy behind the The Three Stooges). To the extent that one can aspire to something more than mere entertainment, one begins to approach something akin to “great art.” But it’s always instructive to remember that Dostoyevsky drew his great novels from the “yellow sheets” of the day (tabloids, gossip columns, pulp crime fiction). Because that stuff was entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    I think the only judging factor in art is the technical part. As an art student, I'm taught about composition, depth, how well you reveal your intentions, being intentional about your work and being able to do it well enough that a common passerby could get at least a basic idea of what is going on or at least be able to think about it enough to find connections and symbols. After that everything else is just a persons preference. I love abstract realism! I also can appreciate other types of styles but if they don't have the technicalities down then one can lose what they're trying to attain. Of course, this is only really aimed at the professional artist. A child could create art and not have any of the technicalities involved and it can be amazing. I think, for the most part, it's all about preference.
    @ayoitsStepho: Count on the art student to get it right. I love the part that I bolded: The best artists will walk you through their art. It’s both entertaining and it’s icing on the cake. I hate artists who are unwilling or unable to say or demonstrate why they’re artists. The best artists know exactly why they’re the best, and they don’t mind sharing it, assuming anyone has the patience to listen and delve with them.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Oh joy, oh joy! I'm in with the majority of the poll. The MAJORITY!
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Epiphany

I haven't read the thread, but I voted that the value of art, like beauty, is entirely subjective. I don't hold anyone's opinion higher than my own when it comes to personal taste; no matter how much of an expert they believe themselves to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post

Of course, my idea of appealing artwork tends toward 'realistic' depictions of women in chainmail bikinis fighting dragons in fantasy locales, so....yeah.
    That uniform is not very well suited to the job. I doubt the girl would last long, purely because of her stupid choice of clothing.

MBTI
    INTP

That uniform is not very well suited to the job. I doubt the girl would last long, purely because of her stupid choice of clothing.
    Heh. No arguments there. I consider it an 'acceptable break from reality' but 'your mileage may vary'.

If you're wondering why those are in quotation marks, check out this site: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...aksFromReality

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Heh. No arguments there. I consider it an 'acceptable break from reality' but 'your mileage may vary'.

If you're wondering why those are in quotation marks, check out this site: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...aksFromReality
    Lol I'm a writer so found that pretty hilarious.