User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    lol, well it's not 1994 anymore!
    I'm in a 'rock band' and the scene here is dead. I'm tellin' ya.
    On top of that, people don't seem to go out and see music anymore, of any kind. I went to Neumo's last Friday night, here in Seattle, to see a friend do his rap thing, and it was only half full. That's a big name club too. I've played so many gigs where it was full for the opening band, then 10:00 PM rolls around and everyone goes home to relieve the baby sitter. Blah...
    Yeah, I was a little confused if that was a reference to Kurt Cobain or not, lol.

You said they love rock in Europe, and thats only true depending on were you are. I live in Brussels Belgium and I can tell you me and my best friend are the only people who dont listen to RnB. Im sure that in places like Germany or Scandinavia that are known for their subcultures you could find alot of people into any kind of rock you want; but here? Sure, many people are into the classic stuff but its not the young generation at all.

MBTI
    ISTx

It's not endorsed much by the mainstream, but rock music still has loyal fans.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    It's not endorsed much by the mainstream, but rock music still has loyal fans.
    Oh, I agree; I was just pointing out the local scene. There are active scenes all over the county. Pearl Jam charges $1million for a show, and they tour all of the time.
    Rock's in a fallow period... it will be back!
    Gonna listen to some rock now!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Depends on the region. IME, where you have rednecks, you have hard rock. This includes the South, the Midwest, and the Rocky Mountain West.

I'm from the latter of those three, and most people there either listen to hard rock radio*, Top 40, or country. No rap and nothing in Spanish (because of how white my freaking state is), and there wasn't much indie rock until the indie station showed up in 2005 or so. I always listened to hard rock and indie rock, and was disillusioned by the others.

@Typh0n, where are you from?

*Loosely defined. They played anything from Nirvana (grunge) to Nickelback (post-grunge) to Metallica (old-school metal) to Tool (new-school metal) to Black Stone Cherry (southern rock).
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Infinite Bubble

What does the term 'dead' actually mean? Demotion from mainstream music? It will continue to influence music in the future, and that is what happens with all genres: they continually warp and change into new forms. Nothing can stay the same forever. Rock can never be dead in this sense, as it is set in history and other types of music will be derived from it, which without rock music it could never exist in the first place.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Depends on the region. IME, where you have rednecks, you have hard rock. This includes the South, the Midwest, and the Rocky Mountain West.

I'm from the latter of those three, and most people there either listen to hard rock radio*, Top 40, or country. No rap and nothing in Spanish (because of how white my freaking state is), and there wasn't much indie rock until the indie station showed up in 2005 or so. I always listened to hard rock and indie rock, and was disillusioned by the others.

@Typh0n, where are you from?

*Loosely defined. They played anything from Nirvana (grunge) to Nickelback (post-grunge) to Metallica (old-school metal) to Tool (new-school metal) to Black Stone Cherry (southern rock).
    Where are you from? I grew up in the rockies in Montana.

Typh0n, where are you from?
    Belgium.

@Infinite Bubble What genres in today's mainstream do you see as being influenced by rock?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Where are you from? I grew up in the rockies in Montana.
    I try not to specify on the forum, for privacy's sake. But I'll rep you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Belgium.
    Well, damn. :/ Makes sense that they wouldn't be as into hard rock over there.

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

Well, damn. :/ Makes sense that they wouldn't be as into hard rock over there.
    Yeah? Why does that make sense we wouldnt be as into hard rock? Becuase theyres no rednecks out here as you wrote about on in your first post :-p? Just curious what you mean by that.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Yeah? Why does that make sense we wouldnt be as into hard rock? Becuase theyres no rednecks out here as you wrote about on in your first post :-p? Just curious what you mean by that.
    Pretty much. I see hard rock as being raw, unsophisticated, and rough around the edges -- all qualities that I see as being MUCH more appealing to Americans (esp. rural white Americans) than to Belgians.