• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hick

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is the best, most original, least pretentious non-horror movie I've seen in a while.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You'd probably like Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, if you don't have an issue with blood.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You'd probably like Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, if you don't have an issue with blood.

You know that wasn't that great, it was ok, but really just meh. It definitely has funny parts.

Hick is fantastic, it's something else entirely, it has soul. Tucker and Dale is silly trash compared to it.

Hick is more like for people who like things like Brown Bunny, Wonderland (the John Holmes story), The Slums of Beverly Hills, maybe a "lighter" Bully or Spun with a more positive ending...people who like indie films about either real people or stuff that's based on real people who aren't easily shocked or offended and have a deeper sense of morality than what is politically correct.

I saw people bitching about Hick being amoral or immoral, but it has it's own morality and I actually thought the end was very moral and sweet and the best thing for her future; if anything I just thought it was kind of rough but realistic with some obviously exaggerated, absurd, weirdly funny parts.

I think it definitely has humor in it, too, so its actually kind of light for the subject matter it deals with, which is why I say it's like a lighter Bully or Spun.

I loved the musical placements too. I almost died when "Island in the Streams" and "Amie" came on, whomever connected the soundtrack to it knew what they were doing, though I was a little puzzled by the random 60s love songs since the film was obviously set in the early 80s.

Apparently it's not exactly a true story, it's semi-autobiographical, which means a woman took people she knew or incidents from her life and fabricated a cohesive fictional novel out of it.

My ESFJ ex would have loved it. It's one of those movies that made me wish I hadn't just completely stopped speaking to him. But at the same time, the characters in the movie serve to remind me that some people really are best left in the past, even with their good points.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
***by Bully I mean the 2001 drama set in white-trash Florida, not that new documentary that's out that's dominating Google search with its presence.