User Tag List

First 123 Last

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    In fact, I ended up researching raptors on wikipedia (turns out they had feathers--no joke).
    Yes, it wasn't known that velociraptors had feathers until after the first movie came out. JP3 included feathers on the head. Similarly, it is now believed that the T-Rex's vision was not evaded by being still, but since that is a "law" in the Jurassic Park universe, they can't change it for the sake of consistency.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My friend and I were laughing over the foibles in the movie that still exist... the biggest being the fact that the T-Rex paddock starts with the goat level with the vehicles and the T-Rex capable of just stepping out into the road... and suddenly there's a 30-40' drop where the stable ground used to be, that one of the vehicles is pushed over. Wtf? The classic part is that if you're too caught up in the action, you might not even notice until later as you're thinking about the scene.

And then the computers start as Macs, and then somehow become "UNIX" systems (which I think at the time were traditionally text-based, not GUI... and any GUI would have been unknown to "hacker girl"... who btw didn't seem like much of a hacker, really, in personality).

And then there's the computer that flashes "System Ready" although the power is still out; I'm hoping they'll blame that on a UPS or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    I just finished watching it and uh...no emotional response, really. First time I've seen it in over 10 years.

I don't know--maybe I just don't have it anymore but the magic was completely gone for me. I was hoping for some nostalgia to kick in or to feel like I was struggling with puberty again or something. Nothing. In fact, I ended up researching raptors on wikipedia (turns out they had feathers--no joke).
    Bummer. Seriously. I wasn't expecting a response from myself when I went. Again, a lot of my response came because I was watching the response of the characters, who were stunned and amazed. I felt it because they felt it.

Either way, it was pretty cool when the T-Rex ate the Jeep, I guess. I don't know. *shrugs*
    My favorite with T-Rex is when it plows through that tree while chasing the jeep, as if the tree is made of cardboard. (Which, realistically, as part of a movie set, maybe it was...!) And Laura Dern screaming "Shiiiiiiiittt!" over and over at the top of her lungs. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Yes, it wasn't known that velociraptors had feathers until after the first movie came out. JP3 included feathers on the head. Similarly, it is now believed that the T-Rex's vision wasn't evaded by being still, but since that is a "law" in the Jurassic Park universe, they can't change it for the sake of consistency.
    Yeah, I found it interesting that Creighton's first book and then the movie incorporated "new ideas" about dinosaurs, even the fact that they might not have been cold-blooded and probably more related to birds, as when I was growing up in the 70's, they were considered slow cold-blooded ponderous lizards.

And then our knowledge of dinosaurs kept changing, even leaving the book/movie behind in obsolescence.

I'd have to pass on Independence Day, though Goldblum did have the most interesting character in Juassic Park, aside from the velociraptors.
    I try to judge characters on their own terms, but Goldblum does bring neat little quirks to any character he plays (typically), and that was what happened in this movie -- he was easily the most unique and eccentric of the group while still feeling believable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Epiphany

So...two of the writers for Jurassic Park 4 also wrote Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Not too worried there; I thought it was a decent movie. But the director, Colin Trevorrow, has only directed one full-length feature film, along with a documentary, a short film and a tv movie.

Granted, Safety Not Guaranteed received a 91% fresh rating from Rotten Tomatoes, but should the producers be taking any unnecessary risks after Jurassic Park 3?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So...two of the writers for Jurassic Park 4 also wrote Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Not too worried there; I thought it was a decent movie. But the director, Colin Trevorrow, has only directed one full-length feature film, along with a documentary, a short film and a tv movie.

Granted, Safety Not Guaranteed received a 91% fresh rating from Rotten Tomatoes, but should the producers be taking any unnecessary risks after Jurassic Park 3?
    Then again, Jurassic Park 3 was so badly received that they might as well hand JP4 off to Zack Synder without any sort of supervision and it would still do better.

I was surprised at how good RotPotA was ... I wasn't expecting much, and got easily more than expected. It wasn't high art, but it was enjoyable and solid, for what could have easily been a dud picture.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

I could ramble about Jurassic park for hours. I want them to salvage some scenes from Crichton's books instead of vomiting illogical scenarios and meaningless BS about someone's family nobody cares about like from JP3. Relatable characters would be nice too.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Then again, Jurassic Park 3 was so badly received that they might as well hand JP4 off to Zack Synder without any sort of supervision and it would still do better.

I was surprised at how good RotPotA was ... I wasn't expecting much, and got easily more than expected. It wasn't high art, but it was enjoyable and solid, for what could have easily been a dud picture.
    I liked it much better than Tim Burton's reboot, which felt like it was 13 hrs long. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I could ramble about Jurassic park for hours. I want them to salvage some scenes from Crichton's books instead of vomiting illogical scenarios and meaningless BS about someone's family nobody cares about like from JP3. Relatable characters would be nice too.
    That's what I disliked the most about JP3. The dinosaurs and special effects were cool, aside from the fact that velociraptors no longer pose any serious threat because they delay their attack long enough for the prey to figure out how they're going to evade it; like the gymnastics scene from the Lost World. Wtf? Even Lara Croft requires weapons to kill dinosaurs. That scene was way too cheesy. But the whole premise of the third movie involving a 13 year old kid who survived for months on his own is beyond retarded. And the attempted humor was way overdone. It worked in Jurassic Park largely because Jeff Goldblum is funny and had a good script to work with. The drama between the mother and father in JP3 was more annoying than amusing. And the franchise has become too formulaic. You know exactly who's going to die from the very beginning. All of the main cast members survive; all of the supporting cast dies, especially if they are antagonists.

And for shit's sake, no more children!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I liked it much better than Tim Burton's reboot, which felt like it was 13 hrs long. I'm looking forward to the sequel.
    I never bothered with Burton's reboot. I'm not even sure why I saw Rise, except I think I wanted to go to the movies and there was nothing else out that weekend. I was pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I posted on my FaceBook page that they changed the ending of Jurassic Park 3D so that the raptors win, but no one took the bait. Sigh.

I have the JP1-3 series on combined BluRay, but haven't ever dared to watch 3 yet. I fell asleep during 2.

Epiphany

I never bothered with Burton's reboot. I'm not even sure why I saw Rise, except I think I wanted to go to the movies and there was nothing else out that weekend. I was pleasantly surprised.

I posted on my FaceBook page that they changed the ending of Jurassic Park 3D so that the raptors win, but no one took the bait. Sigh.

I have the JP1-3 series on combined BluRay, but haven't ever dared to watch 3 yet. I fell asleep during 2.
    3 is worth watching at least once, if nothing else because of the action sequences. I did like the overall atmosphere of the movie.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

3 is worth watching at least once, if nothing else because of the action sequences. I did like the overall atmosphere of the movie.
    I'm just scared. JP2 bored me so badly. still, I already own it, so I guess it's at worst just a waste of two hours.

(Then again, I think Gene Siskel used to say that was two hours you'll never get back.)

Epiphany

I'm just scared. JP2 bored me so badly. still, I already own it, so I guess it's at worst just a waste of two hours.

(Then again, I think Gene Siskel used to say that was two hours you'll never get back.)
    And look where he's at now.

Overall, I liked the Lost World more than JP3.