• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"The Host"

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am completely torn about seeing it.

True, Stephanie Meyer made the Twilight series, but then again, Andrew Niccol made Gattaca and S1M0NE.

I saw the trailers, and while it's trying to be an Invasion of the Body Snatchers for teenage girls who have never heard of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, maybe it won't be too bad...and maybe it will be so bad, it's good.

And for the record, I only saw the first Twilight, which I didn't feel absolutely sick watching like some people, I just thought it was boring.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I admit the trailer looks good but I read some reviews. It's Twilight 2.0 science fiction style. So err... I am not sure, it depends on what you get on off I guess. Personally I would stay away. Far, far away. Mostly because I've seen all of the Twilight movies but the last one (cousin is a fan, she dragged me there) and it's only so much I can take when it comes to vampire boners. Well, it's not like it's Lestat's vampire boner anyway.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I admit the trailer looks good but I read some reviews. It's Twilight 2.0 science fiction style. So err... I am not sure, it depends on what you get on off I guess. Personally I would stay away. Far, far away. Mostly because I've seen all of the Twilight movies but the last one (cousin is a fan, she dragged me there) and it's only so much I can take when it comes to vampire boners. Well, it's not like it's Lestat's vampire boner anyway.

I guess I'm just thinking it might just be along the lines of I Am Number Four, which has been compared to Twilight, but I didn't think it was that bad at all. Partly, I guess, because they toned down the love story and made it into more of an action movie.

And obviously, having the director of Gattaca helps, too.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess I'm just thinking it might just be along the lines of I Am Number Four, which has been compared to Twilight, but I didn't think it was that bad at all. Partly, I guess, because they toned down the love story and made it into more of an action movie.

And obviously, having the director of Gattaca helps, too.

Apparently the love story isn't that tone-downed and there's this triangle drama that's not really a triangle drama and so on. But I haven't watched it myself. Reading that review turned me off though.

Guy V. Malaxia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I tried reading the first few chapters of the book. Couldn't get through it.

Twilight was a fun guilty pleasure of mine, but I think this film is a tactical gamble based on the success of Stephanie Meyer's first series, not by any sort of merit of the work itself. Probably won't see it. There are better movies out (and coming out).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry, dude. :(

Rotten Tomatoes: 8% (29 ratings)
Poorly scripted and dramatically ineffective, The Host is mostly stale and tedious, with moments of unintentional hilarity.

I need to say, this is really disappointing for an Andrew Niccol film.

EDIT: Since the time I copied the data over, the score has dropped to a 7%. :doh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry, dude. :(

Rotten Tomatoes: 8% (29 ratings)
Poorly scripted and dramatically ineffective, The Host is mostly stale and tedious, with moments of unintentional hilarity.

I need to say, this is really disappointing for an Andrew Niccol film.

EDIT: Since the time I copied the data over, the score has dropped to a 7%. :doh:

Well, Breaking Dawn was directed by Bill Condon, and the other two sequels were directed by Chris Weitz and David Slade, respectively. I guess Stephanie Meyer has the power to bring about the worst in normally solid directors. Of course, in all fairness, I don't recall any major criticisms about the direction in any of the Meyer adaptations. Looks like they're doing their best with the crap material they've been given.

Still, unintentionally funny is always entertaining.

But GI Joe 2 it still is, this weekend. It looks like the critics are hating it, but the fans are loving it...and those usually make the perfect movies.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kurt Loder of Reason Online said this: "It's not often -- not ever, in fact -- that a movie will put you in mind of Battlefield Earth." Um, wow...this might be worth going to...it might be one of those movies that will help me regain my confidence as a former aspiring movie maker...a movie so bad, that I know I could make a better one (if I had an expendable budget of CGI software, hardware, and a green screen studio).

But GI Joe comes first.

Nicki

Retired
The Host is so much better than Twilight. At least the book is. I wish Stephanie Meyer would have published it first instead of Twilight. I've only read a bit of it but it's so good. The movie seems cheesy though.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, saw GI Joe 2.

The good news:

The bad news: