• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hollywood characters having British acccents + sophistication?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
What's up with this?: I'm noticing now that Hollywood feels the need to give characters British accents in order to make them seem more sophisticated? They're doing this in just about every movie I'm seeing now. They do this constantly in several films and for some films in makes much more sense than in others. For instance, for the characters to have British accents in Narnia, makes a lot of sense. However, they're really going overboard with it. Take for example, in "The Prince of Persia", they felt the need to give the characters British accents, and I'm like "WTF?!! They're Persian for God's sake!!" Hell, I just saw the new "Oz: The Great and Powerful" movie and they gave the royal characters British accents in that movie too? What's up with this?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shouldn't this be in the Arts/Entertainment subforum? :thinking:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't really know where to put it?

Seems pretty clear it's concerned with choice of expression within the art of film making. I'm just being a pedantic jerk, don't mind me. :drwho:

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
On the other hand, there are a bunch of Brits talking like Americans.

Mole

Permabanned
What's up with this?: I'm noticing now that Hollywood feels the need to give characters British accents in order to make them seem more sophisticated? They're doing this in just about every movie I'm seeing now. They do this constantly in several films and for some films in makes much more sense than in others. For instance, for the characters to have British accents in Narnia, makes a lot of sense. However, they're really going overboard with it. Take for example, in "The Prince of Persia", they felt the need to give the characters British accents, and I'm like "WTF?!! They're Persian for God's sake!!" Hell, I just saw the new "Oz: The Great and Powerful" movie and they gave the royal characters British accents in that movie too? What's up with this?

The Americans make the British villains (the British are coming!), or they make the British sophisticated.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Moved from Politics et. al.

Edit: also moved a few posts to OT. Don't make me turn this car around.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yes, the British have a class structure that lends itself to villainy or superiority.

It would appear so. I've also noticed that Hollywood often gives characters a British accent to convey a sense of royalty.

Mole

Permabanned
Interesting to know.

The US revolutionary, Noah Webster, was immensely influential in America. There is his famous Webster's Dictionary and his spelling was taught in all American schools.

Noah Webster was an ideologue and didn't understand that English is based on the history of each word. So he decided it wasn't history that would give an English word its spelling, but the revolutionary, Noah Webster himself.

So for ideological and revolutionary reasons Noah Webster deliberately cut Americans off from the history of their mother tongue. And so Americans became deracinated and had nowhere to look but the bright and shinning revolutionary future.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
The US revolutionary, Noah Webster, was immensely influential in America. There is his famous Webster's Dictionary and his spelling was taught in all American schools.

Noah Webster was an ideologue and didn't understand that English is based on the history of each word. So he decided it wasn't history that would give an English word its spelling, but the revolutionary, Noah Webster himself.

So for ideological and revolutionary reason Noah Webster deliberately cut Americans off from the history of their mother tongue. And so Americans became deracinated and had nowhere to look but the bright and shinning revolutionary future.

I didn't know this. Thanks for the info.