MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Stereotypes and memes and racism, oh my! [split thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    I liked Independence Day when it first came out...although I was 12 at the time. I didn't know any better. It was on tv the other day. He pronounces Earth correctly.
    The fact that people think they have to disprove the meme I posted only makes it funnier.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The fact that people think they have to disprove the meme I posted only makes it funnier.
    Disprove it? What was it trying to prove?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Stereotypes and memes and racism, oh my! [split thread]

Why? Because it's racist or classist?

It's mocking a working class or poor African American accent, mostly from the South.

If Will Smith pronounces it correctly in the film then....

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Why? Because it's racist or classist?

It's mocking a working class or poor African American accent, mostly from the South.

If Will Smith pronounces it correctly in the film then....
    No, it's mimicking what it would sound like if Smith tried to say "Welcome to Earth!" with a cigar in his mouth.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No, it's mimicking what it would sound like if Smith tried to say "Welcome to Earth" with a cigar in his mouth.
    Well I'm telling you that it's racist. "Mouf" "birfday" "earf" etc.

It's intended to be racist and classist.

I'm from the South and I'm very familiar with the deep Southern accent (which is, for whatever reason, in one particular manifestation presented as how black people talk, even if they're from Detroit or Watts) ...and this using an f instead of a th is kind of like how people think of other Southerners dropping their g's and saying "they-air" instead of "there."

I think maybe you think it's funny because of the cigar, but I'm pretty sure it's racial "humor."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

It's intended to be racist and classist.

I'm from the South and I'm very familiar with the deep Southern accent (which is, for whatever reason, in one particular manifestation presented as how black people talk, even if they're from Detroit or Watts) ...and this using an f instead of a th is kind of like how people think of other Southerners dropping their g's and saying "they-air" instead of "there."

I think maybe you think it's funny because of the cigar, but I'm pretty sure it's racial "humor."
    I never thought of it that way until you mentioned it. You must be a racist.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I never thought of it that way until you mentioned it. You must be a racist.
    No actually I'm just better educated on this particular topic of what would hurt or offend other people. You're simply acting in uninformed ignorance.

I'm trying to be helpful, and you're taking it personally, though you insist you didn't mean it that way.

I've been a Southerner my entire life (and always will be one, no matter where I live), one who majored in English literature and took voice lessons, who can convincingly communicate with the American Standard accent though my mother talks like Loretta Lynn.

Just because I'm informed about what it looks like to mock other people for racial, cultural, or class reasons doesn't mean I'm racist. I never said you were racist, I said the meme is racist.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

No actually I'm just better educated on this particular topic of what would hurt or offend other people. You're simply acting in uninformed ignorance.

I'm trying to be helpful, and you're taking it personally, though you insist you didn't mean it that way.

I've been a Southerner my entire life (and always will be one, no matter where I live), one who majored in English literature and took voice lessons, who can convincingly communicate with the American Standard accent though my mother talks like Loretta Lynn.

Just because I'm informed about what it looks like to mock other people for racial, cultural, or class reasons doesn't mean I'm racist. I never said you were racist, I said the meme is racist.
    It's called guilt by association. You see "Earf" as racist/classist mockery because you associate it with your Southern background. Therefore I see you as racist/classist by association. I'm not intending anything personal, I'm just revealing your flawed logic.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's called guilt by association. You see "Earf" as racist/classist mockery because you associate it with your Southern background. Therefore I see you as racist/classist by association. I'm not intending anything personal, I'm just revealing your flawed logic.
    Okay I'm sorry I think you're just making a statement of complete idiocy. I'm not guilty of anything, you can google it really fast, and take some responsibility for the fact that you posted a racist meme that you innocently interpreted incorrectly.

Your response is over the top, really, because I'm simply informing you of something, not calling you a racist, but you're being very nasty to me.

I've long suspected that you aren't really an INTP. This is why I had you on ignore before. You're behaving completely irrationally to me informing you of something you could easily see on your own.

It's your opinion that this meme is racist, which you're entitled to. But it's not a closed case.

I see it as a joke about the formalism of what we usually see in print versus the more casual way people actually speak. I don't see how it can be racist when people actually pronounce the word phonetically like "Earf" all the time. It's like saying it's racist to describe someone as "black" as opposed to using "black" as a pejorative.

I recall seeing a comedy skit where a crime was committed and a police officer was asking a witness to describe the culprit. The (white) witness bent over backwards to use any other description for the (black) culprit other than "black", presumably because he didn't want to be seen as racist. Calling this meme racist is the sort of thing that provokes people like the witness in that skit to think in that ridiculous way.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari