• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotypes and memes and racism, oh my! [split thread]

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
This is how candidates lose presidential debates.

Are you kidding, who is America going to have an easier time identifying with, Kids (which it turns out are a pretty popular option for adult couples), or teachers.

That line of argumentation is a political winner.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
New meth lab is established across from Westboro Baptist Church.

579943_630094340353356_1773065557_n.jpg

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you kidding, who is America going to have an easier time identifying with, Kids (which it turns out are a pretty popular option for adult couples), or teachers.

A shrewd call.

(I got nothin)

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
If they were trying to make it about him being black or southern isn't 'earf' a little obscure?

I mean they could have said "Yo dawg welcome to Earth" and I would have totally understood it to be a stereotyped "black thing." Or they could have said "Welcome to Earth, y'all" with an american flag motif and I would have gotten a taste of the "southern thing." Obviously these stereotypes are BS and not every black guy says dawg (nor is everyone who says dawg black) and not every southerner say's y'all or is obsessed with flag symbolism, but you'd guess that the supposed racist meme creator would try to play into a trope that people would actually understand, yeah?

I mean they could have used Jeff Goldblum and photoshopped gold coins into the background with "Welcome to Earth, Mazel Tov". People know these stereotypes. (Yes, even you sensitive internet reader, you know the jokes, you don't have a virgin mind, we are collectively impure.)

It all takes on a different meaning depending on who hears it.

There are some assholes out there who will run these jokes into the ground or use it as a way to 'put people in their place' or ostracize them. Or people who don't know better will start to believe it because they don't actually know any Jews or Blacks or Southerners or whatever. But I think normal people can just roll their eyes and maybe smile because they have a sense of it not being true for everyone, because only a truly simple-minded bigot uses such ridiculous assumptions to judge people's character and preference without even knowing them. I don't really go around telling them all the time (annoying), but I can digest them well enough because they've always been out there.

The cigar seems more probable as a likely explanation cause you can't say "th" with a cigar. And apparently that was the original meme image. Of course, we can't know without finding the creator, but I'm going with the most direct explanation. And I suppose I'll look out for f/th being a black stereotype that I never heard of, but I'm still skeptical.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The most salient point from the article is that the Finnish model is the one out of all the others that doesn't test teachers.

Given the fact the we aren't nearly the social democracy that Finland is, I don't see our system reformed without the use of hard student data in evaluations.

You can try to push the Finnish model all you want, but the preponderance of other systems at the top of the educational distribution implies that other models are equally (or even more than equally) effective.

Hopefully the era of "drive by" evaluations by principles is coming to an end.

The students should come first.
Actually, the Finnish model doesn't use standardized testing on the students, except for the occasional metrics cited in these articles. A main difference is that they hire teachers from the top few percent of university graduates. I wonder where most of our teachers fall in their class rankings. Now compare teaching with where most of our top graduates go.

We certainly need hard data on student outcomes, but I have yet to see a standardized test that contains relevant metrics, or that doesn't come at the cost of months of "teaching to the test". The real measure of student (and therefore school and teacher) success is whether graduates are prepared for college, work, military service, or whatever they go on to do; and whether they can navigate adult responsibilities like job hunting, managing personal finances, etc. All these are measurable, but on timelines much longer than the usual Iowa or Stanford or state-mandated graduation tests. Many of the "improvements" being suggested for schools are little more than fads with no real data to support them at all.

As long as politicians and others try to frame the discussion as an adversarial relationship between students and teachers, there will be little progress. If we assume instead that everyone is on the same side, we can start to identify the real reasons why teachers are finding it hard to teach, students to learn, and parents to get meaningfully involved.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
As long as politicians and others try to frame the discussion as an adversarial relationship between students and teachers, there will be little progress. If we assume instead that everyone is on the same side, we can start to identify the real reasons why teachers are finding it hard to teach, students to learn, and parents to get meaningfully involved.

Tilt at windmills much?

How do kids get into college? They take tests.

How do they get certified for their career? They take tests.

How are they evaluated once in those careers? Their performance is evaluated.

It's amazing how resistant teachers are to getting feedback on how well they are doing their jobs.

Also, you didn't have anything to say about the comprehensive models posited in Avoiding a Rush to Judgment: Teacher Evaluation and Teacher Quality.

The testing standards put forth would cost 3 billion nationally which is a pittance compared to how much we are spending currently.

These comprehensive models, which include tests, are designed to circumvent all the objections you posted.

At the end of the day this is about not wanting teachers to be evaluated at all. The current system is so heavily tilted towards teachers that you get results like:

The evaluations themselves are typically of little value — a single, fleeting classroom visit by a principal or other building administrator untrained in evaluation wielding a checklist of classroom conditions and teacher behaviors that often don't even focus directly on the quality of teacher instruction. "It's typically a couple of dozen items on a list: 'Is presentably dressed,' 'Starts on time,' 'Room is safe,' 'The lesson occupies students,'" says Michigan State University professor Mary Kennedy, author of Inside Teaching: How Classroom Life Undermines Reform, who has studied teacher evaluation extensively. "In most instances, it's nothing more than marking 'satisfactory' or 'unsatisfactory.'"

It's easy for teachers to earn high marks under these capricious rating systems, often called "drive-bys," regardless of whether their students learn. Raymond Pecheone, co-director of the School Redesign Network at Stanford University and an expert on teacher evaluation, suggests by way of example that a teacher might get a "satisfactory" check under "using visuals" by hanging up a mobile of the planets in the Earth's solar system, even though students could walk out of the class with no knowledge of the sun's role in the solar system or other key concepts. These simplistic evaluation systems also fail to be remotely sensitive to the challenges of teaching different subjects and different grade levels, adds Pecheone.

Unsurprisingly, the results of such evaluations are often dubious. Donald Medley of the University of Virginia and Homer Coker of Georgia State University reported in a comprehensive 1987 study, "The Accuracy of Principals' Judgments of Teacher Performance," that the research up to that point found the relationship between the average principal's ratings of teacher performance and achievement by the teachers' students to be "near zero."

Principals fared better in a recent study by Brian Jacob of Harvard's Kennedy School of Government and Lars Lefgren of Brigham Young University (2005) that compared teacher ratings to student gains on standardized tests. Principals were able to identify with some accuracy their best and worst teachers — the top 10 or so percent and the bottom 10 or so percent — when asked to rate their teachers' ability to raise math and reading scores.

Principals use evaluations to help teachers improve their performance as rarely as they give unsatisfactory ratings. They frequently don't even bother to discuss the results of their evaluations with teachers.

But principals don't put even those minimal talents to use in most public school systems. A recent study of the Chicago school system by the nonprofit New Teacher Project (2007), for example, found that 87 percent of the city's 600 schools did not issue a single "unsatisfactory" teacher rating between 2003 and 2006. Among that group of schools were sixty-nine that the city declared to be failing educationally. Of all the teacher evaluations conducted during those years, only 0.3 percent produced "unsatisfactory" ratings, while 93 percent of the city's 25,000 teachers received top ratings of "excellent" or "superior."

Jaguar

Where is the crystal ball used to determine the skin color of the person who created the 'earf' image?

t92m9

On a side note: If you want to turn any thread into a political blog>>>>>>>>>>> Call DiscoBiscuit at 1-900-CANYOUHEARMENOW?

Jaguar

It would help if you could poke fun at yourself once in awhile. Did you have your sense of humor surgically removed? ;)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The end goal is to improve America, but regarding equality the goal is to create the conditions where blacks can enjoy the agency they deserve and share in the social mobility enjoyed by the rest of America.

That way its in their hands to be everything they can be.

I delayed my response to reflect on the conversation thus far, and this post in particular. I believe you would have a difficult time finding anyone within the African-American community who would disagree with the bottom line that you've stated. Whatever issues we may have, we're Americans first, and that whole life, liberty and the pursuit business means as much to us as anyone. Perhaps even more given our history.

If our goals are the same and even our view of the major roadblocks are the same, then there must be some compelling reason that most African-Americans don't see eye to eye with most white Conservatives about how to overcome those obstacles. Those disagreements are rooted in a radically different historical and cultural experience that has informed a strongly divergent understanding of what will constitute a solution. Anyone seeking to create legislation that will meaningfully impact the obstacles we face has to take that perspective into consideration, or your policies will be doomed to failure. In other words, as [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] put it so succinctly, the issue with most Conservative policies in this area are that they are one size fits all, while people’s problems are not.

Let’s take welfare as a case in point:

As far as welfare is concerned, I want to limit benefits to those within 130% of the federally designated poverty level, basically means test welfare.

This would not apply to the disabled who would still qualify up to 200% of the poverty level.

We also need to strengthen our prosecution of fraud, and double dipping.

Reforming welfare would go a long way towards eradicating the resentment white America feels come tax time.

What you’re describing here is a fairly stereotypical example of a liberal welfare regime: it’s based on the notion of market dominance and private provision; ideally, the state only interferes to ameliorate poverty and provide for basic needs, largely on a means-tested basis. While a liberal regime seeks to ensure that the government dependency of welfare recipients does not exceed their dependency upon their ability to make commodities of their own labor, it also reinforces social stratification within the society.

No matter what kind of welfare regime you have, you’re going to impact the existing social order through the redistribution of wealth. For instance, liberal mechanisms like mean-testing draw distinctions between the “deserving” and “undeserving” poor. The history of the US, however, has shown that this stratification has been more directed towards maintaining racial divisions, than socio-economic ones. As I mentioned, in an earlier post, the earliest social security programs were deliberately designed in such a way that African-Americans were excluded. More recently, there have been studies that have examined state’s post 1996 welfare reform that have espoused a “get tough” attitude on welfare, indicating a correlation between low benefits in states and the percentage of that state’s population which was African-American. These analyses concluded that the correlation has nothing to do with the state’s ability to provide funding, or anti-welfare attitudes within these states, but ultimately could only be explained by hostility within the state towards African-Americans.

The welfare example spills into the larger point I am trying to make that if your true goal is your stated one, then you’re not using the right means to achieve it policy-wise. You can’t contend with poverty in a real way without contending with race just as meaningfully. History has also shown this. The Great Society programs enacted by LBJ made the elimination of poverty and racial injustice its expressed aims. These programs expanded access to benefits to aid, pouring funding into education, housing, and community action in urban ghettos. This investment in black communities was directly responsible for the rise of the black middle class, the redistribution of political power in the Deep South from local Machines to black activist, and ultimately curbing some of the worst kinds of racial discrimination and some of the most obvious racial disparities across states.

Social programs can work for us if they’re both properly funded, and speak directly to the obstacles that race creates for us, not incidentally. This is what I mean when I say that your party lacks the credibility to take on welfare reform. Talking to you and other conservatives there’s this feeling like you say the words, but you have no idea what they mean. And frankly, we don’t expect you to because you haven’t lived it. But to acknowledge racial inequality and then espouse policies like it has no practical consequence is just the height of arrogance. Then, when you put these policies that by no means incorporate the reality of the situation into place and they don’t work out, or they only make things worse, then suddenly it’s our fault. We’re the ones who are lazy or stupid or trying to “game the system”. It is absolutely infuriating.

I say all this to say again that it is in your interest as an aspiring policy maker to continue to have the kinds of conversations that you and I are having right now. You don’t always have to agree, you don’t always have to understand, but it is imperative that you at least listen. You cannot compartmentalize policy: the social has ramifications for the political, the political the economic, the economic the social and so forth. I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt that given your stated ends, you were not aware of the impact of the policy you prescribed. This issue on the macro level is the biggest one that Republicans faces with nonwhite voters. We assume that you’re not stupid and must recognize the consequence for the policies that you support will benefit only a privileged few, or actively do damage to a great many. There’s the natural suspicion that when you talk about freedom and agency you ain’t talking about us, or you wouldn’t support things that work so perfectly against our interests.

That is coupled with the fact that Republicans represent a very different mentality about society and how we ought to contribute to it. Namely, a history of deprivation has led minorities to be proponents of positive rights in most cases. The Conservative mindset revolves around negative ones. That again is a function of history—if you have everything (i.e., rights and access), then all you need is for someone else not to get in your way. Blacks don’t have the luxury of that point of view when formally or informally basic human dignities have been denied to us, and we’ve had to fight just to have the space to exist as ourselves. The Conservative view assumes that space is already there and will always be there unless it’s encroached upon by something external. I think that common ground can be found between the two viewpoints if the Conservative doesn’t view the expansion of positive rights for a minority to come at the expense of his or her own negative rights.

That brings me to the fundamental point that I want to make. I think the only way that society works is if everyone feels responsible for everyone else on some level. It’s not just enough to “get yours” no matter who you are. There has to be some point where we as Americans can look not just at our Constitution, but to the esprit of life, liberty and the pursuit and ask what we’ve done to insure it not only for ourselves, but for all, respectful of the individual circumstances of their lives. For a Conservative white man, that would mean understanding the rights and opportunities that contribute to that “free space” he seeks to preserve for himself through his belief in negative liberty, so that he can support the policies that would extend them to others as well. For a Liberal black woman, that means doing what I can to continue to rectify inequality as I understand it for all groups, and while supporting the policies that actively further that end also recognizing where gains have been achieved. I believe that is the sturdiest common ground for Liberals and Conservatives from which to discuss any sort of policy, but policy which touches on race in particular.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would help if you could poke fun at yourself once in awhile. Did you have your sense of humor surgically removed? ;)

NO, DAMMIT. WE SHALL FIX RACE RELATIONS* OR DIE TRYING. :angry:

*And also the American education system, welfare reform, the deficit and the future viability of the Republican Party. WE WILL FIX ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I haven't wanted to participate in this thread, since I moderated it, but it's been several days and I think it's okay now. I promise if the shit hits the fan again I'll get somebody else to moderate it. :D

For the record, there is a long and storied tradition of misattributing the letter F in place of TH to Will Smith in specific, and there's little doubt of its racist origins, similar to "Ah So" being attributed to Asians. People even call him Will Smiff on racist websites. I think it's commendable that the thought never occurred to many of you because your minds are unsullied by racism in any form, but IMO the cigar explanation is a little naive given the internet's history of adding Fs to Will Smith's words. Although IMO it's entirely possible that the person who created that meme DID think it was funny because of the cigar, and didn't "mean it like that" either, for the same reasons you guys didn't see it, but that the racist shit just got reused and repackaged enough times that its racist origins were no longer apparent.

(Caution: link is NSFW because of racist bullshit and also a somewhat obscene graphic) http://chimpmania.com/forum/showthread.php/6625-Will-Smiff-is-a-DickHead

Long story short- I don't think thinking it's funny or using it when your intent is to show him as a badass chomping a cigar, not to make fun of black speech patterns, makes you a racist. But denying that something you didn't even make could possibly be racist or could be derived from racism... I don't think that's necessarily a good thing.

Nicodemus

You are one of the few still here worth arguing against. (not referring to the nature of the positions you take, but to the quality of your rebuttals)
We have had religion, guns, and general political views. Are there any topics left we disagree about?