• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotypes and memes and racism, oh my! [split thread]

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a genuine cite showing that the meme I posted is considered racist/classist by even just one other person on the internet, even though just that one can't substantiate Marm-troll's claim.
Found one.

cracked.com said:
I guess people remember him saying "Earf" because people are secretly racist and they assume, since Will Smith is technically black, that he must also be poor and uneducated.

^ By the way, that was pretty damn easy to find. You're awfully lazy with your research, for being an INTP. ;)

Also, I think your standards of evidence are pretty arbitrary, since this is a MEME we're talking about, and there won't exactly be academic articles out about it. (Plus, something tells me you're not going to change your mind, no matter what is said here.)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And what do you guys think of the successful black man meme?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Nice! But if someone were making a race comment out of it, they would not have created a false impression using the cigar in the cockpit scene, but would have used the actual scene where Smith first busted the alien.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Replying to this in the correct thread, to make it easier for the mods.
Nice! But if someone were making a race comment out of it, they would not have created a false impression using the cigar in the cockpit scene, but would have used the actual scene where Smith first busted the alien.
^ I honest to God don't think they put that much thought into it.

I'm guessing the thought process was: He looks more badass with the cigar in his mouth, and therefore we should put the badass quote with the badass picture.

^ I like it, because it completely subverts racial assumptions. Reminds me of the "Shit ____ people say to ____ people" YouTube videos, e.g. "Shit White Girls Say To Black Girls". Referential mocking aiming to enlighten as well as to entertain.

Like this joke: "What do you call a black pilot?... A pilot, you racist!"
Why should I research it? I didn't make the claim.
If you care about having the correct opinion, and ensuring that others have the correct opinion as well, you'll do whatever it takes to make sure your goal is accomplished.

Thus, you obviously don't care that much, and are being lazy.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

WHAT DO YOU MEAN NICE?

I fucking posted that link way before she did.

All she did was spell it out to you and spoon feed it to you.

You know, when I'm arguing with ANYONE on the Internet, about anything I take remotely seriously, I research it at least quickly.

For you to say you shouldn't research it because you didn't make the claim is so lazy and childish, that it reeks of avoidance of the topic of hand.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I like it, because it completely subverts racial assumptions. Reminds me of the "Shit ____ people say to ____ people" YouTube videos, e.g. "Shit White Girls Say To Black Girls". Referential mocking aiming to enlighten as well as to entertain.
:hifive: Agreed. Great analysis.

:laugh:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Replying to this in the correct thread, to make it easier for the mods.

^ I honest to God don't think they put that much thought into it.

I'm guessing the thought process was: He looks more badass with the cigar in his mouth, and therefore we should put the badass quote with the badass picture.

If you care about having the correct opinion, and ensuring that others have the correct opinion as well, you'll do whatever it takes to make sure your goal is accomplished.

Thus, you obviously don't care that much, and are being lazy.

Thus, you have been on my <PLONK> list for over a year now. Try using logic.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For you to say you shouldn't research it because you didn't make the claim is so lazy and childish, that it reeks of avoidance of the topic of hand.
That's because he IS avoiding the topic at hand.

I'm wondering if you should just block him, because he obviously loves to make you angry. Don't you, [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]? Seems like trolling Marm is one of your favorite hobbies.
Thus, you have been on my <PLONK> list for over a year now. Try using logic.
Whatever.

I was acting under the assumption that most people aren't logical most of the time. It's a bit naive to think otherwise.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, the hoary old "white man can't know, he WASN'T THERE" trope. Honestly, Rex, I like you and I agree with many of your posts, but this is intellectually dishonest at best and disingenuous at worst. Shame on you for saying that we aren't allowed to have a considered opinion on this topic, that we can't be thoughtful enough to know the landscape. That as much as anything is responsible for the sorry state of racial politics. Everyone has the right to define what is offensive to them, but that doesn't have any larger meaning. The gulf between what someone finds offensive and an actual offense can sometimes be as wide as the ocean.

FMW, I like you and similarly appreciate what you contribute to the forum. That's not the issue here. The problem with you and Mal's response to Marm was that she's pointing out a fairly cut and dry example of dogwhistle racism, and y'alls reaction to her just came off dismissive. In Mal's case, it looked like he'd made an oversight and was tapdancing as fast as he could to make it look like anyone but him was the ignorant one. Meanwhile, you come in and say

It's your opinion that this meme is racist, which you're entitled to. But it's not a closed case.

is ironic when the opposite (i.e., it being someone's opinion that something is not racist [which they're naturally entitled to] by no means makes it the case) is equally true. That was the point of my riff. It's easy for something to be a blindspot when it's not something you contend with on a regular basis, and that's okay. But knowing that to be the case, then you should be more credulous when someone brings something like that to your attention, not less so.

To speak to your larger point about how me pointing out the role that privilege played in you and Mal's reactions contributes to the "sorry state or racial politics", I couldn't disagree more. First of all, I'm not of the opinion that discussions about race should be one long browbeating for the white people in the room. In fact, I feel that contributions like the one that you and Mal made could be very positive because they give the offended party a way to understand how an inadvertently derogatory comment can be made with no malicious intent behind it. But the fact of the matter is that in your position as a middle class, hetrosexual, white man, you're virtually never going to be on the receiving end of prejudice. While you can facilitate understanding, you will never be in a position to arbitrate what is and is not offensive with any credibility. That doesn't give a minority unlimited right to call things racist, because that's equally ridiculous. We have as much responsibility to remember the seriousness of making an allegation of racism, and make that call only as a last resort.

To bring it all home, what I took exception to about the exchange with Marm was that she pointed something out, brought in third party evidence to support her claim, and no one was apparently open to the idea that, yeah, maybe there's something to what she's saying. No one was willing to evaluate their own position before dismissing hers. That part where there was no doubt to slow anyone's roll is not a function of objectivity nor superior insight, but privilege. No one who was talking with Marm had any direct experience of discrimination, but they felt ok to make a call about what was and wasn't racist. That to me is bullshit.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's naive race-baiting to point out that someone went to the trouble to take a picture from another scene involving a cigar when using the actual scene would have been more telling.

When I put a pen in my mouth and said, "Welcome to Earth," it came out as "Welcome to Earf."

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's naive race-baiting to point out that someone went to the trouble to take a picture from another scene involving a cigar when using the actual scene would have been more telling.

When I put a pen in my mouth and said, "Welcome to Earth," it came out as "Welcome to Earf."
:laugh: It's like talking to a brick wall, I swear to God.

No point in sticking around this thread anymore.

Peace out. I wish you more luck than I had, [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION].

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm for it.

No one thinks you're racist. You can put away the shoes now, Shirley Temple.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm for it.

No one thinks you're racist. You can put away the shoes now, Shirley Temple.

It's not about me being racist. It's just so silly of Marm to use my thread, which is about liking/hating movies, to pander to the race-baiting and troll-baiting population on the internet.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just DID MY HOMEWORK to prove that I am not a "lazy" INTP and could not find the Will Smith "Earf" meme posted to any kind of racist threads on the internet.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Peace out. I wish you more luck than I had, [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION].

Don't leave me nooooooo!!!!! :cry:

I will say that the upshot of this entire exchange is that people are rationalizing their misinterpretation, rather than attempting to give some shellak about how, "Well, I didn't see the racism of the meme before, but if you look at the statistics the majority of blacks are in fact poor and uneducated. So if you examine things from that perspective, then this meme isn't really all that racist."

To have not had to deal with that on the internet of all places is a little thing I'd like to call progress, ladies and gentleman.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't leave me nooooooo!!!!! :cry:

I will say that the upshot of this entire exchange is that people are rationalizing their misinterpretation, rather than attempting to give some shellak about how, "Well, I didn't see the racism of the meme before, but if you look at the statistics the majority of blacks are in fact poor and uneducated. So if you examine things from that perspective, then this meme isn't really all that racist."

To have not had to deal with that on the internet of all places is a little thing I'd like to call progress, ladies and gentleman.

By those standards, Will Smith's character in ID4 would be a poor choice for creating a racist meme.