First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    The meme has racist undertones. End of story.
    Kewl.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

By the way, the original Will Smith meme said "Earf, Welcome to it." That's not even being presented as an actual quote from the movie.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Token black member chiming in.

I did not find the meme offensive at all.
    Keep yer helmets on, kids.

Oh, and Will Smith is a cunt.
    I wish those aliens had killed his black ass.
    Last edited by Poindexter Arachnid; 03-16-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

MBTI
    XXFP

...I didn't mention anything about cigars?

if the joke is that special then just enjoy it and correct the spelling. or if you really think the whole "lolcats" thing will make it funnier the change it to "welcum 2 urf" which would make it clearer what you're going for.

visualize cheesy badass will smith with a cigar with the slogan "Welcome to Earth." it's funny in a macho swagger bullshit kind of way. ha ha. it made me smile. have a laugh and move on with things.

it's not rocket science.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

I don't know that I'm qualified to speak to whether the meme is racist or not. Although I would tend to err on avoiding things that might be blatantly offensive or inappropriate, especially once other people have given reasonable explanations as to why something could be interpreted as such (including in this context).

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Their reasoning boiled down to the weaker point that the meme's intended sense is ambiguous. However, it's never been posted to any racist threads. I posted one link here from another forum in which racist memes predominated. Then, although I am a "lazy" intp, I browsed around the internet and couldn't find a single example of the meme in question being used in a racial context.
    However, the above is kind of sloppy reasoning. Many things are racially insensitive without being posted in a racist forum or used in an intentionally/overtly racial context.

Edit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    if the joke is that special then just enjoy it and correct the spelling. or if you really think the whole "lolcats" thing will make it funnier the change it to "welcum 2 urf" which would make it clearer what you're going for.

visualize cheesy badass will smith with a cigar with the slogan "Welcome to Earth." it's funny in a macho swagger bullshit kind of way. ha ha. it made me smile. have a laugh and move on with things.

it's not rocket science.
    Pretty much this.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Where's the original picture?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    I posted that at the beginning of the other thread. Not sure why the meme and video weren't redirected here for the sake of clarity for those who weren't following the topic before it split. Now it's all jumblefucked. This is where it started: Movies that You Liked at First Viewing But then Began to Hate
    I didn't move that post because it was on topic, and because putting the hose on the catfight was more pressing at the moment, and because I figured someone could post the link here again since it's incredibly fucking easy.

MBTI
    ----

why do people see his race before they see that he is a human with a cigar in his mouth? it's pretty much impossible to make a thh sound when you can't close your mouth.

and if it's supposed to represent how black people talk in certain parts of the US why is that automatically deemed lesser than other american accents and inherently offensive because no one would want to talk like that?

the picture isn't of a random black person. it's will smith. why would they be making a joke about will smith sounding like he's from the south when he's from philly, and doesn't speak with an accent that sounds like a southern american accent? the joke has zero resonance because he doesn't actually sound like that, so the idea that it was intentionally racist whitie backslapping humour is pretty lame-arse and unlikely. or are all black people interchangeable without any other characteristics beside being black, so one black guy's accent is every black guy's accent? will has to be generic black symbolism guy not will smith with his own history, accent etc. srsly?

but please, continue getting your paternalistic panties knotted up for him - a ridiculously successful businessman/actor/producer/musician's behalf (who happens to be black) cos he clearly needs help and stuff.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Honestly when I saw it, I assumed it was parodying the cigar in his mouth.

Of course my cultural sensitivities are bound up in how I experience individuals, not the melanin count of the skin. However there are plenty of examples of subtle under-the-surface bias and prejudice leading from racist ideas. After all that's where the notion of privilege comes from, but it only exists insofar as people have those subtle biases.

If this is one of them, then I missed it sorry. However reading through the thread, this is clearly something that is better understood if you are from the United States.

Although when it comes to socio-economic class issues...I have JUST the country to hail from!
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I don't know that I'm qualified to speak to whether the meme is racist or not. Although I would tend to err on avoiding things that might be blatantly offensive or inappropriate, especially once other people have given reasonable explanations as to why something could be interpreted as such (including in this context).

However, the above is kind of sloppy reasoning. Many things are racially insensitive without being posted in a racist forum or used in an intentionally/overtly racial context.

Edit...

Pretty much this.
    The reason it's NOT sloppy is that Marm justified her own reasoning by stating outright that it was generally accepted to be racist/classist meme. I asked for a cite ("cite?"), and she never gave one. There is not a shred of evidence to support questioning the hilarity of the meme. And the only cite EJCC came up with was cracked.com's "guess" that it was a racist meme after I asked for a single piece of evidence. Come on, it was only someone's guess.