User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I have no idea what the original meme is, but the original scene does not involve a cigar or "earf" but does involve Will Smith punching an alien in the face and saying "welcome to earth."

Aw now I want to watch Independence Day.
    I posted that at the beginning of the other thread. Not sure why the meme and video weren't redirected here for the sake of clarity for those who weren't following the topic before it split. Now it's all jumblefucked. This is where it started: Movies that You Liked at First Viewing But then Began to Hate

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    I posted that at the beginning of the other thread. Not sure why the meme and video weren't redirected here for the sake of clarity for those who weren't following the topic before it split. This is where it started: Movies that You Liked at First Viewing But then Began to Hate
    Is it any wonder that I hardly step foot on this forum anymore?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    @bold - everyone knows that pronunciation's got nothing to do with black people- and everything to do with cats.
    Lolcats, in particular.

1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.
    -The Lolcat Bible, Genesis 1:1
    That's sort of along the lines I'd guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    It's an internet meme called "There's a Great Meme - Let's Find a Way to Spoil It!"

Attachment 9093

I'm not saying this picture reminds me of anybody on this forum, it just seemed like an appropriate time to start a brand new meme.
    Umm...good luck with that...
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    That's sort of along the lines I'd guess.

Umm...good luck with that...
    Meanwhile, forum activity continues to shrink.

MBTI
    XXFP

So basically, @Marmotini might be right and it's a southernism with racist overtones, or it might be something else and it's being read as something it's not.

Or it's a mixture of factors. Or maybe it was made as one thing and then got co-opted by other groups blah blah blah.

Basically, unless we find out who made this thing up in the first place it's just guessing.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

So basically, @Marmotini might be right and it's a southernism with racist overtones, or it might be something else and it's being read as something it's not.

Or it's a mixture of factors. Or maybe it was made as one thing and then got co-opted by other groups blah blah blah.

Basically, unless we find out who made this thing up in the first place it's just guessing.
    Their reasoning boiled down to the weaker point that the meme's intended sense is ambiguous. However, it's never been posted to any racist threads. I posted one link here from another forum in which racist memes predominated. Then, although I am a "lazy" intp, I browsed around the internet and couldn't find a single example of the meme in question being used in a racial context.

MBTI
    XXFP

But the point Marm is making is a solid one, it makes sense.

It's not that noting a difference in how people talk is bad or racist. It's that Will Smith clearly says Earth, and if, if, the idea behind the meme was that people watched the movie, heard he said "earth", but then intentionally changed it to "earf" because he's a black guy and black guys can't talk right then yeah, that's racist.

---

A separate issue is questioning if everything that is perceived as racist is really racist. Sometimes when you are victimized you start to see innocuous actions as threatening or you attribute to familiar "weak spots" - it's an emotional instinct that applies to everyone and it takes time and effort to get over (and getting pissed at people won't help people realize it). However, it's also relevant to note that actions that seem innocuous to some people really are screwed up, and people don't realize that taking those sort of liberties send messages that have real impact that they hadn't considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Their reasoning boiled down to the weaker point that the meme's intended sense is ambiguous. However, it's never been posted to any racist threads. I posted one link here from another forum in which racist memes predominated. Then, although I am a "lazy" intp, I browsed around the internet and couldn't find a single example of the meme in question being used in a racial context.
    I'm not going to referee between anyone. Perhaps that is telling, but maybe not. I don't think you can really answer the question of original intent, regardless of circumstantial evidence.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

It's not that noting a difference in how people talk is bad or racist. It's that Will Smith clearly says Earth, and if, if, the idea behind the meme was that people watched the movie, heard he said "earth", but then intentionally changed it to "earf" because he's a black guy and black guys can't talk right then yeah, that's racist.

---

A separate issue is questioning if everything that is perceived as racist is really racist. Sometimes when you are victimized you start to see innocuous actions as threatening or you attribute to familiar "weak spots" - it's an emotional instinct that applies to everyone and it takes time and effort to get over. However, it's also relevant to note that actions that seem innocuous to some people really are screwed up, and people don't realize that taking those sort of liberties send messages that have real impact that they hadn't considered.
    Smith clearly said "Earth" in the scene without the cigar.

Consider the :20 second mark of this clip:

That wasn't stated very clearly, and it was probably overdubbed as most movie dialogue is.

But my issue is this - Is it ALWAYS racist? And why must it ALWAYS be racist? Why must ambiguity always bring up the question of racism?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

<snip>

I'm not going to referee between anyone. Perhaps that is telling, but maybe not. I don't think you can really answer the question of original intent, regardless of circumstantial evidence.
    Predominance of evidence makes sense, not some point made without regard to evidence no matter how solid the logic is. There is no evidence of anybody believing the meme has racist overtones. The most they could come up with was one person's "guess."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The meme has racist undertones. End of story.