User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 189

  1. #21
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Actually, as someone who makes his living creating popular culture, I have a passing familiarity with both. And no, you don't only know it because you're from the South...you only think it because you're from the South. In other words, no, you are not the only one to possess this knowledge; but you're the only one in this thread to think about it in that way. That doesn't make other ways of thinking about it invalid.
    I don't have a cigar and I wouldn't put a nasty cigarette in my mouth even as a test. So I put a pen in my mouth and said, "Welcome to Earth." It came out as "Welcome to Earf." Yes, I'm white.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #22
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Actually, as someone who makes his living creating popular culture, I have a passing familiarity with both. And no, you don't only know it because you're from the South...you only think it because you're from the South. In other words, no, you are not the only one to possess this knowledge; but you're the only one in this thread to think about it in that way. That doesn't make other ways of thinking about it invalid.



    No, you didn't make this up. Nobody ever said you were pulling it out of your ass. But you and your corroborating evidence can both be wrong.
    No I don't think it because I'm from the South anymore than Will Smith automatically says Earf because he's African American.

    This is the quite possibly the stupidest conversation I've ever had on this forum. I never called anyone a racist, I said the meme is racist, and it is.

    It's making fun of a working class/poor African American dialect.

    The amount of defensiveness both you and Mal are projecting (especially Mal) because I pointed out that THE MEME (not he) is racist, is actually a little bizarre.

    The meme is racist. Lots of people agree.

    Neither of us are wrong. What don't you get? If he didn't mean it that way, HE isn't being racist, but he is using a meme that is commonly perceived as racist, and for good reason.

    I mean if you posted a picture of random English person and implied that they dropped their H and so forth, everyone understands that you're implying they are lower class British or cockney.

    By the same token, posting a picture of an African American and using words like "Earf" or "mouf" ...almost everyone understands that you're implying that they're lower class or ghetto.

    If you guys want to make this about a cigar, go right ahead; but I'm warning you about how it's socially perceived.

    Get a grip.

  3. #23
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Go start your own thread on the topic, and keep as far away from mine as possible.
    Why because I pointed out that a meme is commonly socially perceived as racist?

    Every conversation I've ever had with you, you've become completely irrational and accused me of trolling.

    I'll gladly never respond to anything you say ever again. You're impossible to reason with, and probably badly mistyped.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    No I don't think it because I'm from the South anymore than Will Smith automatically says Earf because he's African American.

    This is the quite possibly the stupidest conversation I've ever had on this forum. I never called anyone a racist, I said the meme is racist, and it is.

    It's making fun of a working class/poor African American dialect.

    The amount of defensiveness both you and Mal are projecting (especially Mal) because I pointed out that THE MEME (not he) is racist, is actually a little bizarre.

    The meme is racist. Lots of people agree.

    Neither of us are wrong. What don't you get? If he didn't mean it that way, HE isn't being racist, but he is using a meme that is commonly perceived as racist.
    Cite?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #25
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I can't believe how oblivious you people are.

    I didn't make this up.
    Well clearly, Marmie, if the white men in the thread doesn't see it, then it must not exist. As we all know they're regular subjects of myriad oppressions, and don't have any kind of institutionalized privilege that might make them oblivious when it comes to what other groups might find derogatory. And if they were, I'm sure they'd have some nonwhite "friend" they could point to as evidence of their sensitivity, and a rational basis for their ability to tell you or anyone else what ought and ought not be offensive to them. You, Marmie--who grew up in a place where issues of race are not just an intellectual exercise, but a real and potent force that informs one's everyday experience--probably know fuck all about this subject compared to a white man. Fuck you and not to mention, your relevant, formal education on this subject. These things do not compare to the innate sense of knowing of the white man. I genuinely wish you'd stop interrupting the thread with your typical hysterics, or at least back it up with the kind of credible, impartial evidence that your betters can get behind.

    Now that that's settled. I can't think of any movie that I used to like, but don't any longer. There are movies I enjoyed as a kid for whom I have a deeper appreciation now. Clueless is a great example. The whole central trope of how extremely vapid the girls in the movie were kind of went over my head growing up, so I find it a lot funnier now. In a similar vein, there are films that I thought were super deep, but now find kind of silly. The Craft is an example of that. Ditto for the film Waking Life. Still, I don't actively dislike these films for having more perspective on on them, or finding the revelations they once provided to be familiar. Things just get shrouded with nostalgia, so they're kind of exempt from the strict categories of like/dislike. I'm more likely to get won over by a film over time, then for it to totally lose whatever its appeal might have been.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  6. #26
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    No I don't think it because I'm from the South anymore than Will Smith automatically says Earf because he's African American.

    This is the quite possibly the stupidest conversation I've ever had on this forum. I never called anyone a racist, I said the meme is racist, and it is.

    It's making fun of a working class/poor African American dialect.

    The amount of defensiveness both you and Mal are projecting (especially Mal) because I pointed out that THE MEME (not he) is racist, is actually a little bizarre.

    The meme is racist. Lots of people agree.

    Neither of us are wrong. What don't you get? If he didn't mean it that way, HE isn't being racist, but he is using a meme that is commonly perceived as racist, and for good reason.

    I mean if you posted a picture of random English person and implied that they dropped their H and so forth, everyone understands that you're implying they are lower class British or cockney.

    By the same token, posting a picture of an African American and using words like "Earf" or "mouf" ...almost everyone understands that you're implying that they're lower class or ghetto.

    If you guys want to make this about a cigar, go right ahead; but I'm warning you about how it's socially perceived.

    Get a grip.
    Why the sudden desperate need for a warning?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #27
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Well clearly, Marmie, if the white men in the thread doesn't see it, then it must not exist. As we all know they're regular subjects of myriad oppressions, and don't have any kind of institutionalized privilege that might make them oblivious when it comes to what other groups might find derogatory. And if they were, I'm sure they'd have some nonwhite "friend" they could point to as evidence of their sensitivity, and a rational basis for their ability to tell you or anyone else what ought and ought not be offensive to them. You, Marmie--who grew up in a place where issues of race are not just an intellectual exercise, but a real and potent force that informs one's everyday experience--probably know fuck all about this subject compared to a white man. Fuck you and not to mention, your relevant, formal education on this subject. These things do not compare to the innate sense of knowing of the white man. I genuinely wish you'd stop interrupting the thread with your typical hysterics, or at least back it up with the kind of credible, impartial evidence that your betters can get behind.
    ^ This. Oh my god, this.

    The amount of white male privilege in this thread... I mean, it's fine to be ignorant of racist connotation, but to be that defensive about it when the idea is proposed to you?

    Don't take it personal, folks, but you might want to open your minds a little so you can be better allies.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  8. #28
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Why the sudden desperate need for a warning?
    Desperate? I commented because I was surprised you'd declare the meme hilarious when someone pointed out to you Will Smith never says that in the film.

    I had no idea that your motive was simple ignorance; I would have stopped replying had you merely admitted your ignorance and lack of racist or classist intention instead of accusing me of being racist and trolling.

    So then I explained in more detail facts about speech patterns and dialects and socio-cultural class perceptions, and why I'm sensitive to them because I went out of my way to actually learn to speak ASE, so I understand why someone would be offended if you insulted them by using a socio-cultural speech pattern.

    This got warped into "guilt by association" because I am Southern, rather than the simple information that it is, that I've been exposed to this accent IRL, and I also empathize with people being judged unfairly because of speech patterns.

    Speech patterns are a huge facet of how people judge your social class, intelligence, etc. If you've been white, middle class, male, and spoke American Standard English your entire life, yes, it's highly likely it's never occurred to you why this would be offensive to certain individuals.

    I don't have to cite a reference, I already did, and you can find plenty more by hitting Google, Mal, I'm pretty sure your fingers aren't broken, seeing the rate you're churning out pointless, accusatory replies.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Well clearly, Marmie, if the white men in the thread doesn't see it, then it must not exist. As we all know they're regular subjects of myriad oppressions, and don't have any kind of institutionalized privilege that might make them oblivious when it comes to what other groups might find derogatory. And if they were, I'm sure they'd have some nonwhite "friend" they could point to as evidence of their sensitivity, and a rational basis for their ability to tell you or anyone else what ought and ought not be offensive to them. You, Marmie--who grew up in a place where issues of race are not just an intellectual exercise, but a real and potent force that informs one's everyday experience--probably know fuck all about this subject compared to a white man. Fuck you and not to mention, your relevant, formal education on this subject. These things do not compare to the innate sense of knowing of the white man. I genuinely wish you'd stop interrupting the thread with your typical hysterics, or at least back it up with the kind of credible, impartial evidence that your betters can get behind.
    Oh I know, right?

    Silly me.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Desperate? I commented because I was surprised you'd declare the meme hilarious when someone pointed out to you Will Smith never says that in the film.

    I had no idea that your motive was simple ignorance;
    Ignorance cannot be classified as a motive. And if racism is so very relevant to the meme, then contact the proper forum authorities.

    If you're just saying that the meme can be interpreted as racist, then you should have said so in the first place.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Vasectomies, Tubal Ligations and Joy Behar... oh my! (split from rant thread)
    By asynartetic in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-23-2016, 09:45 PM
  2. Replies: 125
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 07:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO