User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    This is how candidates lose presidential debates.
    Are you kidding, who is America going to have an easier time identifying with, Kids (which it turns out are a pretty popular option for adult couples), or teachers.

That line of argumentation is a political winner.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

New meth lab is established across from Westboro Baptist Church.

579943_630094340353356_1773065557_n.jpg
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Are you kidding, who is America going to have an easier time identifying with, Kids (which it turns out are a pretty popular option for adult couples), or teachers.

A shrewd call.

(I got nothin)
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    (I got nothin)
    (All you do these days is drive around and look after kids.)

MBTI
    XXFP

If they were trying to make it about him being black or southern isn't 'earf' a little obscure?

I mean they could have said "Yo dawg welcome to Earth" and I would have totally understood it to be a stereotyped "black thing." Or they could have said "Welcome to Earth, y'all" with an american flag motif and I would have gotten a taste of the "southern thing." Obviously these stereotypes are BS and not every black guy says dawg (nor is everyone who says dawg black) and not every southerner say's y'all or is obsessed with flag symbolism, but you'd guess that the supposed racist meme creator would try to play into a trope that people would actually understand, yeah?

I mean they could have used Jeff Goldblum and photoshopped gold coins into the background with "Welcome to Earth, Mazel Tov". People know these stereotypes. (Yes, even you sensitive internet reader, you know the jokes, you don't have a virgin mind, we are collectively impure.)

It all takes on a different meaning depending on who hears it.

There are some assholes out there who will run these jokes into the ground or use it as a way to 'put people in their place' or ostracize them. Or people who don't know better will start to believe it because they don't actually know any Jews or Blacks or Southerners or whatever. But I think normal people can just roll their eyes and maybe smile because they have a sense of it not being true for everyone, because only a truly simple-minded bigot uses such ridiculous assumptions to judge people's character and preference without even knowing them. I don't really go around telling them all the time (annoying), but I can digest them well enough because they've always been out there.

The cigar seems more probable as a likely explanation cause you can't say "th" with a cigar. And apparently that was the original meme image. Of course, we can't know without finding the creator, but I'm going with the most direct explanation. And I suppose I'll look out for f/th being a black stereotype that I never heard of, but I'm still skeptical.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The most salient point from the article is that the Finnish model is the one out of all the others that doesn't test teachers.

Given the fact the we aren't nearly the social democracy that Finland is, I don't see our system reformed without the use of hard student data in evaluations.

You can try to push the Finnish model all you want, but the preponderance of other systems at the top of the educational distribution implies that other models are equally (or even more than equally) effective.

Hopefully the era of "drive by" evaluations by principles is coming to an end.

The students should come first.
    Actually, the Finnish model doesn't use standardized testing on the students, except for the occasional metrics cited in these articles. A main difference is that they hire teachers from the top few percent of university graduates. I wonder where most of our teachers fall in their class rankings. Now compare teaching with where most of our top graduates go.

We certainly need hard data on student outcomes, but I have yet to see a standardized test that contains relevant metrics, or that doesn't come at the cost of months of "teaching to the test". The real measure of student (and therefore school and teacher) success is whether graduates are prepared for college, work, military service, or whatever they go on to do; and whether they can navigate adult responsibilities like job hunting, managing personal finances, etc. All these are measurable, but on timelines much longer than the usual Iowa or Stanford or state-mandated graduation tests. Many of the "improvements" being suggested for schools are little more than fads with no real data to support them at all.

As long as politicians and others try to frame the discussion as an adversarial relationship between students and teachers, there will be little progress. If we assume instead that everyone is on the same side, we can start to identify the real reasons why teachers are finding it hard to teach, students to learn, and parents to get meaningfully involved.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    As long as politicians and others try to frame the discussion as an adversarial relationship between students and teachers, there will be little progress. If we assume instead that everyone is on the same side, we can start to identify the real reasons why teachers are finding it hard to teach, students to learn, and parents to get meaningfully involved.
    Tilt at windmills much?

How do kids get into college? They take tests.

How do they get certified for their career? They take tests.

How are they evaluated once in those careers? Their performance is evaluated.

It's amazing how resistant teachers are to getting feedback on how well they are doing their jobs.

Also, you didn't have anything to say about the comprehensive models posited in Avoiding a Rush to Judgment: Teacher Evaluation and Teacher Quality.

The testing standards put forth would cost 3 billion nationally which is a pittance compared to how much we are spending currently.

These comprehensive models, which include tests, are designed to circumvent all the objections you posted.

At the end of the day this is about not wanting teachers to be evaluated at all. The current system is so heavily tilted towards teachers that you get results like:

The evaluations themselves are typically of little value — a single, fleeting classroom visit by a principal or other building administrator untrained in evaluation wielding a checklist of classroom conditions and teacher behaviors that often don't even focus directly on the quality of teacher instruction. "It's typically a couple of dozen items on a list: 'Is presentably dressed,' 'Starts on time,' 'Room is safe,' 'The lesson occupies students,'" says Michigan State University professor Mary Kennedy, author of Inside Teaching: How Classroom Life Undermines Reform, who has studied teacher evaluation extensively. "In most instances, it's nothing more than marking 'satisfactory' or 'unsatisfactory.'"

It's easy for teachers to earn high marks under these capricious rating systems, often called "drive-bys," regardless of whether their students learn. Raymond Pecheone, co-director of the School Redesign Network at Stanford University and an expert on teacher evaluation, suggests by way of example that a teacher might get a "satisfactory" check under "using visuals" by hanging up a mobile of the planets in the Earth's solar system, even though students could walk out of the class with no knowledge of the sun's role in the solar system or other key concepts. These simplistic evaluation systems also fail to be remotely sensitive to the challenges of teaching different subjects and different grade levels, adds Pecheone.

Unsurprisingly, the results of such evaluations are often dubious. Donald Medley of the University of Virginia and Homer Coker of Georgia State University reported in a comprehensive 1987 study, "The Accuracy of Principals' Judgments of Teacher Performance," that the research up to that point found the relationship between the average principal's ratings of teacher performance and achievement by the teachers' students to be "near zero."

Principals fared better in a recent study by Brian Jacob of Harvard's Kennedy School of Government and Lars Lefgren of Brigham Young University (2005) that compared teacher ratings to student gains on standardized tests. Principals were able to identify with some accuracy their best and worst teachers — the top 10 or so percent and the bottom 10 or so percent — when asked to rate their teachers' ability to raise math and reading scores.

Principals use evaluations to help teachers improve their performance as rarely as they give unsatisfactory ratings. They frequently don't even bother to discuss the results of their evaluations with teachers.

But principals don't put even those minimal talents to use in most public school systems. A recent study of the Chicago school system by the nonprofit New Teacher Project (2007), for example, found that 87 percent of the city's 600 schools did not issue a single "unsatisfactory" teacher rating between 2003 and 2006. Among that group of schools were sixty-nine that the city declared to be failing educationally. Of all the teacher evaluations conducted during those years, only 0.3 percent produced "unsatisfactory" ratings, while 93 percent of the city's 25,000 teachers received top ratings of "excellent" or "superior."

Where is the crystal ball used to determine the skin color of the person who created the 'earf' image?

On a side note: If you want to turn any thread into a political blog>>>>>>>>>>> Call DiscoBiscuit at 1-900-CANYOUHEARMENOW?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ maybe a another split would help.

It would help if you could poke fun at yourself once in awhile. Did you have your sense of humor surgically removed?