User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I typically don't end up hating a movie after liking it. But there are two movies that, while still enjoyable to me (especially certain segments), some aspects of them grate on me.

One is Dead Poet's Society. Certain aspects of it resonate with me (basically the lives of the various boys) -- and it's a tribute to the strength of the acting by the youngest and least experienced members of the cast that this movie endures so well. However, the Robin Williams "stand up" humor in the classroom and some of the "do your own thing" lessons end up feeling contrived / break the reality of the movie.

The other is A Few Good Men. The biggest problem with this movie is that it's just way too tightly scripted. You can almost see the script in your head as you watch the movie. The lines are all perfect, there's little that is fresh or raw, it's such a "production" vs something that organically unfolds. A few places, the actors (even Nicholson) seem to obviously quoting dialogue, not just responding to things that are happening. I still do enjoy watching it from time to time because some of those scenes and lines are so great (lots of "quotables" in that movie), but it's obviously a MOVIE to me... whereas the movies that really linger with me stop feeling like movies and just feel like they're happening for real.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I can't say I hate them, but any of the epic, super-high special effects movies I love to see once, but not repeatedly. These include Star Wars. Although I will watch them multiple times, I just don't enjoy them that much if there isn't deeper character development and something new to discover, or there isn't just an invitation to feel silly. I'll watch comedies multiple times.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

I really liked it the first time watching. But watching it a second time, it seemed really silly. I'm not even sure what I liked about it now. I think it was fun to watch them be bad-asses, so maybe watching it again would ruin that, if I already know what happens.

I think it's the same reason I used to like watching Dragon Ball Z, despite it being a really silly show in retrospect. The parodies are hilarious.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I haven't seen 300, but it seems valid as a historical document of ancient Greece. Pretty sure all historians agree that the Spartans fought monsters.

Do the ever explain the monsters in the movie? Everything I've read suggests that they didn't.

Actually, I kind of want to watch this movie now.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I haven't seen 300, but it seems valid as a historical document of ancient Greece. Pretty sure all historians agree that the Spartans fought monsters.

Do the ever explain the monsters in them movie? Everything I've read suggests that they didn't.

Actually, I kind of want to watch this movie now.
    You should. 300 is based on Frank Miller's graphic novel (comic) which is based on the book "Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae" by Steven Pressfield. Both of them were awesome in and of themselves, and the movie brought its own kind of awesome to its interpretation.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Off hand without thinking hard...

-Transformers - superficially entertaining at first but boring after that.
    -Titanic - the ship sinking part is good no matter how many times I see that. The love story, good the first time or two, but not so much after that.
    - Jerry Maguire - LOVE this movie for various reasons, but the ending is bad. What happened at the end would have never happened in real life.

The last Lord of the Rings film.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I loved Disney's Three Musketeers when I was nine... now it's quite embarrassing to watch.
    4w5 sp/sx EII